Garmin III vs IIIPlus

Guest sedohr

My local store is going to be selling their remaining Garmin III units for $99 the day after Thanksgiving. Any body have any comments on the III vs. the IIIPlus?

I'll use it primarily for GeoCaching. I have a seperate GPS system that I use for travelling in the car for my job.

I see that the overall concensus with the IIIPlus is the great reception it gets in tree cover and appears to be fairly accurate.

I'm assuming that I should basically get the same unit, functionality-wise with the Plus having more bells-n-whistles when it comes to the mapping s/w.

Thanks,

randy

Guest Gliderguy

I have both units. The III+'s main advantage over the III is the ability to download more detailed street or topo maps. Both units have pretty much the same basemap. If I were in the market right now for another unit, I would take the III in a heartbeat at that price! I am confident it will blow away everything else you would find for $100. Especially since you already have a "driving" unit and dont really need much in the way of mapping capability. By comparison, I think the best deal on a III+ is still in the $240 range.

I find the reception and repeatable accuracy of both units indistinguishable from one another.

[This message has been edited by Gliderguy (edited 19 November 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

If you are looking for a III+: http://www.tvnav.com/navhome.html has remanufactured III+ for $210 TVNAV has been very good to me so far.

I checked out tvnav mcb, and they're also selling refured III's @ $150. SOunds like that may be a good deal as well, if someones on a tight $150 budget.

Randy

Later

mcb[/b]

Guest Gliderguy

Both the III and III+ can be set to English or metric measurements. Both of them will display in feet once you are closer than .1 miles. (and I suppose in meters if in metric, I dont normally use metric distance)