Problems with GPS315 and data cable

Guest BigDoggie

Guest BigDoggie

I have just gotten the Magellan data cable to go with my Magellan GPS315, and I am trying with no success to get the unit to work with the EasyGPS software. EasyGPS recognizes that the serial port is present, but can't connect to the GPS.

I know that the computer end of the setup is working. I know which serial port is free, and I know that the port works, as I can use it with another device.

Neither the GPS manual nor the half-page flyer that came with the cable address using the cable. Is there a setting in the GPS that I must change to "turn on" the serial port, or is this automatic?

The connector is screwed down snugly to the back of the GPS, and the contact fingers are in good shape.

Anyone have troubleshooting advise?

Guest Big-Bird

I had the same problem with a 330 map also. Never got it to work. But the connection was working as I did a firmware update and map load with their MapSend program. So its the EasyGPS program. Maybe someone else knows the trick. I have a Map76 and their program and Easygps work fine. Not impressed with the software side of the Magellan. The speed and ease of the Map 76 blows it away.

Sorry I can't offer a solution.

Guest arffer

I use both easygps and expertgps 5-10 times a week with my 315, and have no problem. Waypoints up/down, routes up/down, tracks up/down are all fine.

Here are some things I suggest you look at:

Exhausted batteries give too low of a voltage for the com port to recognize.

NEMA off when using easygps

Baudrate set to 9600

No other programs using the com port (like PDA synchronizers, modems etc.)

Make sure the com port is functioning.

Good luck. Wish I could be of more help, but I do guarentee you that easygps is fully functional with the 315 and its datacable.

Guest BigDoggie

arffer, your tips did it!

I looked all through the poorly-indexed manual and so no reference to the cable or using the computer connection, and I missed the BAUD RATE setting. Changing it from the default 4800 to 9600 did the trick.

I didn't see any place on the EasyGPS program to set/adjust BAUD RATE, nor any indication that you might need to set the GPS.

Poor docs by two manufacturers, and a SAVE by the arffer!

Thanks!

Guest dmurray14

I made a homemade data cable, and I am having the same problems. I know the cable is correctly mader, and I know it is connected to the right connectors on the back of the GPS315. What could be going wrong here? It keeps saying either the GPS wouldn't respond, or that the GPS could not understand the data. Any ideas?

Guest arffer

BigDoggie,

You're most welcome. Glad I could help!

The correct 9600 setting is not under the GPS Setup section of the easygps manual where you would expect it to be, but rather is under the GPS Transfer section.

That section of the manual directs the user to confihure a Magellan for 9600, but in the Garmin section it doesn't mention a baud rate at all. From this I inferr that Garmins may have a fixed 9600 baud rate that can't be changed, and maybe that's why its hard to find in the manual.

Dmurray14,

I have posted a reply regarding your problem on the other forum thread you started. We can converse over on that thread if you would like... good luck!