Downloading routes

Guest jbwcpa

Guest jbwcpa

What is the best, cheap way to download routes to your GPS. (I have an emap.) I also have the unregistered version of GPS Utility. Is GPSU the best software to download with? Which online mapping software would you use? MapBlast or MapsOnUs or some other? My route will be about 800 miles long.

Guest gnbrotz

I am not familiar with the GPSU software, but I can tell you that I use PanTerra ($30) to manage my waypoints. It will import the "step by step maps" that the Mapblast site generates (free) and then you can download them into your unit. For a route that long, the number of waypoint may be a problem. You will have to make sure you don't max out your GPS memory before the whole route is uploaded (PanTerra WILL let you know if this happens). You also have to option to upload as tracks instead of a route if you want to.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

Guest ClayJar

I generally use MapBlast! to give me the best routes, and then I either put the coordinates into EasyGPS or I use the MapSend CD-ROM that came with my Magellan MAP 330. Both setups work pretty much equally well for driving trips (the key being the MapBlast! step to find an optimal route to follow), and I've taken trips with round-trip distances up to nearly 1600 miles. I usually have a few planned stops, so I'll have separate routes for each major leg.