Mag 330x / Mag Gold / Garmin ?

Well I've been out of the GPS loop for about a year now and was wonder what would be the best unit for about $300. I saw at Sams club that the mag 330X was selling for about $200 with map cd. I don't know much about this unit, but was wondering where it compares to the Mag gold, this is the other GPS I was thinking of getting. I was a Garmin fan so what Garmin is also in that $200 - $300 price range? Thanks for the info. This unit will be used for caching and in the car for trips. icon_confused.gif

330x with maps, mount, and cable for $200 is, IMHO the best bang for the buck. I used to think the MeriGold was just a Map 330 in a new shell, but some recent firmware revisions have changed my mind on that.

If you have $300 budgeted I would probably go with the MeriGold (or save a few more $$$and get the Meridian Platinum for under $350 I think). I have used a friend's eTrex Vista, which has some very nice features. However my Map 330x grabs signal from satellites much better than his Vista, so I'm very unimpressed with patch antennas as compared to quad helix. I would stay away from the eTrex line because of that, but there are others on these boards who'll say differently.

Enjoy!

AtP