booster antenna for the Garmen Etrex?

bought the cheapest model avaialbe because I'm cheap thats why. I get tired when your hot on the trail and the signal gets blocked by trees. I know someone out here has the same problem and and found a solution for it (and I don't mean buying another one)

does anyone know if they makes a booster atenna for this model of someone did a homebrew on their own?

its the yellow Etrex Garmin that you can buy are your friendly neigherbood WAL_MART

Just incase I can't find my way back can you email me instead just in case? deltafour@hotmail.com

Thank you

Deltafour

Since the eTrex line has now external antenna connector the only way to use an external entenna is by using one of the re-radiating style antennas. There are a couple different models on the market but unfortunately they cost nearly as much as your base eTrex. Searching google.com returned a number of pages including these two:

Big Brother

Mighty Mouse Re-radiating

Somewhere online I've seen a set of directions for building your own if you have the particular desire to try that.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

Well the 12V powered re-radiating antenna is mainly for automotive use where the metal of the car tend to interfere with GPS signals and the 12V power outlets are available. I don't need an external antenna for my auto. I'd like to try one that is portable and could be taken geocaching.

Only the re-radiating antennas have the 12V power supply, other external antennas are powered by the GPSr and only run at 3V. What I'm wondering if there's a way to make a re-radiating antenna that operates off a battery pack that is about 6V. Intuitively it seems that there should be, but I've never designed antenna amplifier circuitry before so I'm not sure.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.