"route calculation data" tab in Mapsource 5.0

dzavetsky

Hey all...

I am patiently waiting for my Garmin V to arrive and playing with Metroguide/Mapsource 5.0....

On the 4.13 version of Mapsource, there was a place under preferences to make maps smaller (i.e. NOT save the route calc data for autorouting)......On 5.0 that option is gone and now there is a little checkbox under the map listings that says "include route calculation data"...But this box is greyed out.....I cannot select or deselt it,...it appears to be DESLECTED.....

Now, when I click on a map, that is say 1.98 mb, it shows up undr maps indivsdually as like 1.65mb, but in the grand total it shows 1.98.....WHen I load it, the grand total listing is waht seems to be the clincher....if it is over 8mb, I cant load into the Legend (due to its 8mb limit)....

So, am I loading up this extra data or not?? I am trying to get an accurate read on how much space I need, and I cant figure this one out....The online manual for Mapsource is for the 4.13 vbersion...I cant locate a 5.0 version...

ANyone??

MetroGuide 5.0 doesn't support auto-routing on any GPS unit, so it *never* transfers auto-routing data when maps are downloaded. That's why that option is grayed-out for you in MapSource. When you get your V with CitySelect maps you should be able to select whether or not you want to include the auto-routing data in the download - presumably you would usually want to include it when downloading to the V, but not to a Legend.

Note that the previous version of MetroGuide (4.01) did support auto-routing on appropriate GPS units, so if you run MapSOurce with MG4.01 you also get to choose whether auto-routing data should be downloaded.

Yup. That option is availible with the CitySelect map set that ships with the V. You will want to include the autorouting data when loading the maps to the V. One time, I mistakenly deselected that option, and the V did not do so good in navagating!

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

OOOOOH!!! WHy the **** would they do THAT!?!?!!? I guess it was a marketing thing??? Stupid, IMHO. Why they would TAKE AWAY features in a software "update" makes no sense at all to me....

Ok, makes sense now why someone said that the Metroguide software would be useless with the V......

I just hope that the City Select software is as good and detailed and ACCURATE as the Metroguide stuff......and I also hope that the City Select software will allow me to fit all the maps I need into the V's 19mb.....

So, SHOULD I be looking for the older version of Metroguide??

Just curious...is there a way to turn off autorouting for just certain maps one would load??

quote:
Originally posted by dzavetsky:Just curious...is there a way to turn off autorouting for just certain maps one would load??

Nope. You will not be able to have some of the areas with autorouting, and some without it. You can turn off the loading of the autorouting only on the entire map set that you load to the V.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

quote:
Originally posted by dzavetsky:

I just hope that the City Select software is as good and detailed and ACCURATE as the Metroguide stuff......and I also hope that the City Select software will allow me to fit all the maps I need into the V's 19mb.....

So, SHOULD I be looking for the older version of Metroguide??

Just curious...is there a way to turn off autorouting for just certain maps one would load??

City select is very detailed. I believe it is essentially the same as metroguide, but with autoroutable maps.

-----------------------------------------------------------

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

Garmin V

quote:

OOOOOH!!! WHy the **** would they do THAT!?!?!!? I guess it was a marketing thing??? Stupid, IMHO.

The people who make the business decisions at Garmin seem to be doing an excellent job of running a successful high-tech company and maintaining their position as the industry leader in a highly competitive market. While we all may have differences of opinion on some choices, it seems highly unlikely to me that the people concerned are "stupid" and we are obviously not aware of many of the factors that went into the decisions that were made.

I don't pretend to know many of the details behind this one either, but I can fill in some of the history. Initially Garmin used maps (Roads & Rec) from the Census Bureau TIGER database in their handheld III+ and more detailed maps with additional features in their automotive maps (MG) for the SP.

When they developed units with auto-routing capabilities they went to the industry leader for auto-routing maps, NavTech, and came out with the CS/CN, but there was a problem since NavTech was late in coming out with their new release that would cover rural areas. So if Garmin only offered the CS/CN maps for their new premium GPS V and SP III products they wouldn't work properly in much of the country.

Garmin's solution was to get new MG maps (4.01) from another map vendor, TeleAtlas that did provide auto-routing and complete US coverage even if they weren't quite as good as the NavTech maps for routing in urban areas. This was really a stop-gap until NavTech's new release came out with rural coverage, but it probably kept lots of V and SP III customers satisfied at the time.

Now that Navtech has rural coverage, Garmin can probably get better contractual arrangements if they get all their street maps from NavTech instead of using multiple vendors. So the new MG v5 uses NavTech maps just like CS/CN but is available for less money than those products since it's aimed at the cheaper units that don't need auto-routing. The product differentiation between MG and CS/CN is maintained by having MG do routing only on your PC while CS/CN are aimed at the V, SP III, and 196 market that needs auto-routing directly on the GPS unit.

Whatever the reasons, it is likely to upset SOME folks....those who bought a lower unit and paid full price for the MG 5.0 and at some point update to the V....the MG5 maps become useless....

....by the way, I agree -- the folks making these decisions are definately not stupid....like I said, my guess is mostly a marketing thing.....

I am just crossing my fingers that CS lives up to what I have seen in MG5.....

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

quote:

OOOOOH!!! WHy the **** would they do THAT!?!?!!? I guess it was a marketing thing??? Stupid, IMHO.

The people who make the business decisions at Garmin seem to be doing an excellent job of running a successful high-tech company and maintaining their position as the industry leader in a highly competitive market. While we all may have differences of opinion on some choices, it seems highly unlikely to me that the people concerned are "stupid" and we are obviously not aware of many of the factors that went into the decisions that were made.

I don't pretend to know many of the details behind this one either, but I can fill in some of the history. Initially Garmin used maps (Roads & Rec) from the Census Bureau TIGER database in their handheld III+ and more detailed maps with additional features in their automotive maps (MG) for the SP.

When they developed units with auto-routing capabilities they went to the industry leader for auto-routing maps, NavTech, and came out with the CS/CN, but there was a problem since NavTech was late in coming out with their new release that would cover rural areas. So if Garmin only offered the CS/CN maps for their new premium GPS V and SP III products they wouldn't work properly in much of the country.

Garmin's solution was to get new MG maps (4.01) from another map vendor, TeleAtlas that did provide auto-routing and complete US coverage even if they weren't quite as good as the NavTech maps for routing in urban areas. This was really a stop-gap until NavTech's new release came out with rural coverage, but it probably kept lots of V and SP III customers satisfied at the time.

Now that Navtech has rural coverage, Garmin can probably get better contractual arrangements if they get all their street maps from NavTech instead of using multiple vendors. So the new MG v5 uses NavTech maps just like CS/CN but is available for less money than those products since it's aimed at the cheaper units that don't need auto-routing. The product differentiation between MG and CS/CN is maintained by having MG do routing only on your PC while CS/CN are aimed at the V, SP III, and 196 market that needs auto-routing directly on the GPS unit.

quote:

I am just crossing my fingers that CS lives up to what I have seen in MG5.....

The maps are the same but with the addition of auto-routing on the GPS unit. You'll need about 50% more memory space for the maps with auto-routing data included than you're seeing now for the MG5 maps which don't have that data.

50% MORE??? That means I would need 27 mb to do it???

That aint good. I am a tad concerned.

I suppose it is true though that I can use the basemaps for the time I am just on interstate....always like to have the extra maps though.....but as long as autorouting works on the basemaps., and as long as the basemaps are accurate I guess all is well...

One thing I am foggy on too....The metroguide maps , when clicked, show ONE number for MBs used, and then when they are added to the list, the list shows a different MB amount for each.....the total is the larger number........I was hoping THAT was the difference....

When folks were talking about autorouting and metroguide 4, that was the case....

DZ

[This message was edited by dzavetsky on August 16, 2003 at 06:19 PM.]

Well, the deal is this --

Someone on another forum told me that the maps in MG 5.0 and City Select are very close to being the same...the DIFFERENCE being autorouting....someone also said that the autorouting info is 50% MORE than the numbers I see with autorouting off (in MG 5.0 it is off permanently)....so my 19.8 mb of maps would need 27mb if that is true, so I will have to lose some maps I guess....

I was ALSO told that you cant load autorouting info from one map and not the others....so I guess that you load CS maps for the areas where you want autorouting and then rely on the basemaps for the otehr areas....Thing is, if these are the same basemaps as in the legend, I am worried....half the time, THEY showed my walking/driving in rivers....the MG5 maps got rid of these errors......

I guess we'll see once this thing arrives...

In the meantime I am looking into a mount for my motorcycle.....someone said IU have to have my V "hardened"...is this true??? ANyone??

DZ

I am the type who likes to be prepared, so that will be a hard thing for me...<grin>...it is likely that I wont need the info f

quote:

someone said IU have to have my V "hardened"...is this true??? ANyone??

DZ

No, I think you're thinking of the etrex's. They are known to have display problems if they undergo lots of vibration. The III's and the V's are built a lot stronger in this aspect.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin V

Garmin III+

[This message was edited by volks_ev71 on August 16, 2003 at 07:27 PM.]

quote:

I was ALSO told that you cant load autorouting info from one map and not the others....so I guess that you load CS maps for the areas where you want autorouting and then rely on the basemaps for the otehr areas

It's true that you can't instruct MapSource to load autorouting data for some maps and not for others. But, you can load a mix of map types where only some of them support any autorouting data. For example, I load a mix of MG 4.01 (supports autorouting) and Topo (doesn't) maps and can check the box to download autorouting data. Obviously it can only do so on the MG maps, not the Topo ones. In your case it seems to me you could specify a mix of CS and MG5 maps and you'd only get the autorouting data on the CS maps.

The basemap should work fine for you on portions of your trip where you'll be on interstates or other major highways. Sure it'll sometimes show you off the road if you zoom way in, but what's the point of zooming way in on the basemap? It's like looking at a state highway map through a microscope.

Well, I just like to be prepared... icon_smile.gif

For instance, if while driving the interstate we decide that we would like to explore a neat sounding town, etc.....But then, I guess that if that happens we could power up the laptop...but waiting for a 30 minute download would be a hassle.....

A friend on another forum did a map fro me from Pittsburgh to Nags Head, NC and he said that all the maps for the route fit into 17.5 or so so megs so I should be golden.....

I think that if they bumped up the memory on the Vs they would sell even better...add a removable card to them and they would have a CERTAIN best of class winner....

But I think I will be very happy judging by the comments here.....

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

but what's the point of zooming way in on the basemap? It's like looking at a state highway map through a microscope.