Garim III+ vs eMap

Guest Grant

Guest Grant

Hi all,

I'm a UK user looking to start up in geocaching and am trying to work out wheter to go for a Garim III+ or an eMap. The eMap seems to be cheaper with potential to take 32Mb of map data but the III+ although more expensive and referred to as the 'cadilac' of gps's seems to be lower spec'ed with only 1.4 Mb of data space...am I missing something here???

thanks

Grant

Guest peter

The III+ is an older model and still has some features lacking on the eMap such as the detachable antenna, 'Highway' display page, fuel management feature, and vert/horiz orientation.

However, the memory constraint is a problem and I wouldn't recommend this model anymore. I use an eMap and have been happy with it. In addition to the larger memory, it also has an audible beeper that the III+ lacks.

You may also want to look at the new models that Garmin is introducing - the eTrex Legend, eTrex Vista, and GPSMap76. I'm not sure what the schedule is for availability of these with a European basemap.

Guest bubba232

A buddy also made a point to me that I'll pass on. The III+ is more waterproof than the emap. Keep in mind that UK weather. icon_smile.gif

Battery life is a little longer also.

Guest bubba232

A buddy also made a point to me that I'll pass on. The III+ is more waterproof than the emap. Keep in mind that UK weather. icon_smile.gif

Battery life is a little longer also.

Guest Grant

Thanks for the comments, I just had a look at the eTrex Vista and it's a cool bit of kit, looks more like what I'm after actually...thanks for the pointers!

> The III+ is an older model and still has

> some features lacking on the eMap such as

> the detachable antenna, 'Highway' display

> page, fuel management feature, and

> vert/horiz orientation.

Sorry, you are quite wrong. The III+ has all of those features except the fuel management function. I routinely remove the antenna and attach the external antenna, and I change from vert/horiz all the time.

Perhaps you are thinking of the II or III?

thanks,

zar

Guest bob_renner

I think what Peter meant to say was:

The III+ is an older model and still has some features which are lacking on the eMap...

The III+ has those features and the eMap does not.

Bob