Opinions from my fellow Geocachers

Guest badbitbucket

Guest badbitbucket

Hi All,

I'm a Freelance Technical Writer and I'm putting together a book outline on the subject of Land Navigation and GPS Receivers. I can't divulge much detail right now. not untill it get close to publication.

I could really use some help from all my fellow geocachers:

1. What software do you currently use?

2. What would you like to see in a book about GPS land navigation?

Thanks to all!

-BBB

p.s. you're welcome to email me directly if you prefer: badbitbucket@hotmail.com

Guest Reservoir Dog

I use Garmin's MapSource and iGage's All Topo Maps.

I would like to purchase a current (have yet to see) GPS book that covers everything from beginner to advanced user information. What you probably would call a "GPS Bible".

I emphasize current and everything!!!

Thanks for asking!

rd.gif

Guest Reservoir Dog

I posted in haste. Does that mean I must repent in leisure? I certainly hope so.

I also use ArcView on occasion, but that is more of a GIS program.

I think if you include sections on mapping, map reading, compass, orienteering, etc., you would have THE ultimate GPS Bible!!!

rd.gif

Guest Markwell

Software is homegrown access database - no interface with the computer.

I think I'd love to see a section of things like an FAQ from around here: Decimal degrees vs. degrees/minutes. What's a datum, what's UTM, what's WGS-84? Throw in a little fun like the Trimble site explaining how the whole thing works. Get some empircal data on how to find the most accurate reading of your position (should I average or not? etc.) All the things that have been hashed out over and over and over again around here.

That way, we can have one place to point everyone to that will have the answers. Or just start quoting things like Chapter VI, Page 24, Paragraph 3, line 4. icon_wink.gif

Guest Markwell

Software is homegrown access database - no interface with the computer.

I think I'd love to see a section of things like an FAQ from around here: Decimal degrees vs. degrees/minutes. What's a datum, what's UTM, what's WGS-84? Throw in a little fun like the Trimble site explaining how the whole thing works. Get some empircal data on how to find the most accurate reading of your position (should I average or not? etc.) All the things that have been hashed out over and over and over again around here.

That way, we can have one place to point everyone to that will have the answers. Or just start quoting things like Chapter VI, Page 24, Paragraph 3, line 4. icon_wink.gif