Problem: eTrex Venture hangs - no answer to key inputs

Hello,

I bought and eTrex Venture a month ago and it has worked fine for 3 weeks, but last week I noticed that it did not answer to some key presses for a long time (not seconds, I mean 1+ hour).

Restarting (taking batteries out and in again) did not help, nor did a full reset, nor a firmware upgrade (I am currently using version 2.50).

Funny thing are:

- the screen is updated during this periods, position, distance to waypoint, etc works, but you can not zoom in, out, change screen, etc.

- It does not seem to be a hardware problem, because I have powered on the eTrex in test mode and all buttons work fine.

- Sometimes everything works fine for a while (20 minutes, then the problem appears again).

It looks like the machine is busy calculating something and is not able to answer to key inputs!!

Anyway, I run out of ideas and wondered if anyone had experienced this and could help me.

Thanks in advance,

Answering volks_ev71 question, no, not only the joystick. All keys (page, zoom in/out, waypoint search and joystick) do not answer. But the keys are not broken. In test mode (power up+joystick clicked) all keys work fine.

By the way, full reset did not help. GPS runs OK for a while, answer to all keys, at some point it hangs, does not answer for a looooong time (15+ minutes yesterday). I take the batteries out and in again, seems to work, hangs again...

Anyway, I contacted Garmin Tech support yesterday, maybe they know how to fix it or change it for a new one. I just wanted to know if someone else was having this problems with the Venture, to try to get another model that does not behave so strange...

Almost everything I have read in this and other forums about the eTrex is good, so maybe it is just a weird hw problem that will be fixed replacing the unit (crossing my fingers).

Thanks for your help anyway, and sorry for the long post.

quote:
Originally posted by volks_ev71:

if you have even the smallest problem it, why don't you send it in for warranty repair??

I just read a post at the MnGCA site that was talking about how they fixed his Garmin Vista's rubber problem (because it was common they fixed it as if it was still under warranty and it wasn't). They did a bunch of upgrades, etc. He was quite impressed.

Other people in the thread mentioned that they usually have the unit back to you in a week or less.

Silent Bob.

MnGCA-Button.gif

I had multiple key non-response problems on my eTrex Venture. This seemed related to the other common eTrex problem - the "screen scramble." A firm but gentle whack to the side seemed to help with both, and I'm guessing both were related to the loose ribbon cable problem. In any case, I had excellent response from Garmin service. I actually sent in two units for warranty service - my Venture, plus my nephew's old ol' yeller, which he gave to my daughter - and both were promptly fixed and returned. My nephew's machine also had non-responsive keys, but no problem with "screen scramble." If you look at my recent posts, you'll link to several relevant threads, including one with information on how to fix the loose ribbon cable problem yourself, though that's not a good option if you're still under warranty. In any case, it was recommended as a solution to "screen scramble," so I'm not sure if it would help with unresponsive keys.

-------------

"Thos' Degrees of Longitude and Latitude in Name, yet in Earthly reality are they Channels mark'd for the transport of some unseen Influence, one carefully assembl'd chain…"

– Thomas Pynchon, Mason & Dixon