New Map 330X

Ok, I just got to work after purchasing my new Map 330X at Sam's. This is a really good deal, the GPS, windshield mount, DC power and PC cables, and MapSend Streets all for $200 US. And tomorrow is the last day to buy the GPS if you want the $50 mail-in rebate from Magellan.

Anyway, now that I've got the propaganda out of my system... I've got a question.

My 330X shows firmware of 2.10 and North America map version of 1.10. Being a computer guy I thought I'd check Magellan's Web site for updates. Their site has 2.08 and 1.07 as the latest revisions. Is it typical for the Web site to be that far behind? Or am I looking at something wrong?

Thanks,

AtP

quote:
Originally posted by Atilla the Pun:

Ok, I just got to work after purchasing my new Map 330X at Sam's. This is a really good deal, the GPS, windshield mount, DC power and PC cables, and MapSend Streets all for $200 US. And tomorrow is the last day to buy the GPS if you want the $50 mail-in rebate from Magellan.

It's a lovely deal on a lovely unit.

quote:

My 330X shows firmware of 2.10 and North America map version of 1.10. Being a computer guy I thought I'd check Magellan's Web site for updates. Their site has 2.08 and 1.07 as the latest revisions. Is it typical for the Web site to be that far behind? Or am I looking at something wrong?

Thanks,

AtP

No, that's actually correct. You must have a pretty recent unit - I think the date on 2.10 is the end of December if I remember right. According to Magellan, 2.08 and 2.10 differ only in a data table used to drive the LCD. They changed manufacturer and had to tweak a table for those units. There is allegedly no user-visible code change. (I haven't diffed the srec files to confirm or deny that.)

I'm not sure what the story is with the basemap. Mine has 1.07. The reality is that if you're in an area where you've downloaded a detail map - and there is an update to the CD that's on Magellan's site - the basemap doesn't really matter much.

There is a yahoo group called "m330" for users of your unit Roaming the archives there will answer a lot of questions you don't yet have.

Enjoy.

And if you're feeling lucky, make your wife watch while you hold your unit under water to demonstrate that it's waterproof icon_razz.gif

quote:

It's a lovely deal on a lovely unit.

quote:

Thanks,

AtP

No, that's actually correct. You must have a pretty recent unit - I think the date on 2.10 is the end of December if I remember right. According to Magellan, 2.08 and 2.10 differ only in a data table used to drive the LCD. They changed manufacturer and had to tweak a table for those units. There is allegedly no user-visible code change. (I haven't diffed the srec files to confirm or deny that.)

I'm not sure what the story is with the basemap. Mine has 1.07. The reality is that if you're in an area where you've downloaded a detail map - and there is an update to the CD that's on Magellan's site - the basemap doesn't really matter much.

There is a yahoo group called "m330" for users of your unit Roaming the archives there will answer a lot of questions you don't yet have.

Enjoy.

And if you're feeling lucky, make your wife watch while you hold your unit under water to demonstrate that it's waterproof icon_razz.gif

quote:

Atilla, I saw your post the other day...just in time to take advantage of the that rebate. (I had been doing some research, and trying to decide what unit to get, but couldn't make up my mind.) I decided that since the MAP 330X had all my "must haves", the $152 final price was too good to pass up. I bought mine at Sam's yesterday, a few minutes before closing.

Thanks for sharing the tip. icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:

Atilla, I saw your post the other day...just in time to take advantage of the that rebate. (I had been doing some research, and trying to decide what unit to get, but couldn't make up my mind.) I decided that since the MAP 330X had all my "must haves", the $152 final price was too good to pass up. I bought mine at Sam's yesterday, a few minutes before closing.

Thanks for sharing the tip. icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

I seem to be having trouble with using my windshield mount in combination with the GPSr wrist strap. If I attach the wrist strap, the GPSr apparently won't fit into the mount. If I remove it, the unit snaps right in.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. But it seems crazy that they would sell a "package deal" that you can't even use together. icon_confused.gif I don't want to have to remove and reattach the wrist strap every time I take my GPSr in my vehicle. icon_redface.gif

I seem to be having trouble with using my windshield mount in combination with the GPSr wrist strap. If I attach the wrist strap, the GPSr apparently won't fit into the mount. If I remove it, the unit snaps right in.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. But it seems crazy that they would sell a "package deal" that you can't even use together. icon_confused.gif I don't want to have to remove and reattach the wrist strap every time I take my GPSr in my vehicle. icon_redface.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

Unfortunatly I think a 1/4" hole is going to be requred to use them both together. I've attached the DC/PC cable to the mount so I'm always bringing it back and forth to the house. icon_frown.gif I haven't attached the lanyard yet, but when I do I think a hole will have to be drilled in the mount.

AtP

quote:

Unfortunatly I think a 1/4" hole is going to be requred to use them both together. I've attached the DC/PC cable to the mount so I'm always bringing it back and forth to the house. icon_frown.gif I haven't attached the lanyard yet, but when I do I think a hole will have to be drilled in the mount.

AtP

The incompatiblity of wriststrap and w/s mount is one of the sillier things about the 3xx series. For a while I had fashioned a neckstrap with a clip that snapped in and out of the battery cover loop. That worked better than threading the wrist strap in and out each time.

Currently I'm using a cell phone case (clear plastic front to protect keys and screen, unlike magellan's own) with locking belt clip. The old nokia cases seem to work out OK, but get one with a BIG antenna hole and be prepared to try several on while you're in the store. This lets me slip it out of the case and into the w/s mount without a lot of grief.

After bragging about my nokia call fone case for the 330, I fear mine has given its life to save my 330 in the field today.

My son and I knocked down ten caches today. Last weekend, we detached two ticks from him and one from me, so we were more ambitious with the deet spray this time. The clear case is now opaque and therefore, far less usable. Hoping that it was just something bad that would wash off, I took soap and water to it. Doing that made the belkin belt clip adhesive decompose and that popped off.

I'm quit glad that it wasn't the plastic on my magellan itself that had this happen, though.

quote:

quote:

AtP

I filed a shallow 2 inch long groove into the mounting bracket so the lanyard could exit out the gap at bottom of mount. Not pretty or elegant but it does allow me to leave the lanyard attached while using the mount.

Steve Simpki

quote:

quote:

AtP

I filed a shallow 2 inch long groove into the mounting bracket so the lanyard could exit out the gap at bottom of mount. Not pretty or elegant but it does allow me to leave the lanyard attached while using the mount.

Steve Simpki