Which one is the best

I'm fairly new to geocaching, only been at it about a month or so. My problem is that when i get to the co ordinates the GPS does stupid things like the pointer pointing in different directions and the distance changing eratically. I currently have a yellow etrex (cheapest) so my question is which model GPS will give me a more accurate idea of where im at....?? At this point I dont think I need one that you can upload city streets into and all that.

The compass pointer is only going to work while you are moving... its not a real compass, but a "calculated" feature. When you stop moving, the compass pointer will point pretty much to anyplace.

As for the numbers bouncing around, you need to do a little research into EPE and Selective Availability. Since the "error" figure being sent to your GPSr is constantly changing, so will you fix. This is not all that evident when you are a couple of KM from your waypoint, but once you get under a few meters it becomes more obvious.

You should also do a search on the "slingshot" effect.

On a good day, my yellow eTrex has an EPE of about 6 meters. This means that you are standing inside a 6 meter circle... which is the tightest you are going to get without WAAS of DGPS.

A nice little bit of software is "SA Watch" which will allow you to see your GPS fix "wander". It also allows you to receive a DGPS signal over the internet and get you fix down to CMs.

Which makes me wonder... If you had a network enabled cell phone, could you get internet DGPS signals and run them to your GPSr... hummmmm....

We had exactly this discussion here a few days ago, but where? I can't find the thread again. Anyone who remebers?

Wanted to post the link, but to no avail, when I can't find it myself. icon_confused.gif

By the way, when the EPE (Estimated Position Error, or what the GPS calls accuracy) is six meters, there is a 50% chance that you are within six meters from the displayed position. There is a 95% chance that you are within twelve meters from the position.

Anders

We had exactly this discussion here a few days ago, but where? I can't find the thread again. Anyone who remebers?

Wanted to post the link, but to no avail, when I can't find it myself. icon_confused.gif

By the way, when the EPE (Estimated Position Error, or what the GPS calls accuracy) is six meters, there is a 50% chance that you are within six meters from the displayed position. There is a 95% chance that you are within twelve meters from the position.

Anders

But that doesn't help if the user doesn't know exactly how to behave, to get the best result. I think these (GPS units, not users) with a magnetic compass are best, because you can let them stand still near a cache, and they'll show you the way, in spite of being motionless.

Anders

[This message was edited by Anders on September 03, 2002 at 08:26 AM.]

Everyone has their favorite GPSr and I suggest that there will be no unanimous choice for best brand or model.

Yes...there are a number technical distinctions and some GPSrs do better in certain situations than others. So you could legitimately debate the design/engineering superiority of the current models quite apart from the activity of geocaching. Thus a *technical* reply to your question will illicit responses favoring a number of the current models.

However, within the context of the beginning/intermediate geocacher (as I am), I have found a couple of considerations that are somewhat less technical and more *practical* in nature:

1. Above all, you've got to be able to actually read and interpret the GPSr's display. Check them all out to make sure the display is readable under varying light conditions. Is the information presented in an intuitive manner? Check out the display for the "GoTo" screen; is it easy to understand?

2. The users' manual is the key to integrating the GPSr into the geocaching experience. Is the documentation well written with plenty of "screen shots" for reference? Doe the manufacturers web site have an extensive FAQ section to supplement the manual? Make sure you really STUDY THE MANUAL and are familiar with the operation of all your unit's features. I believe most manufacturers have PDF versions of their manuals that can be accessed on the web.

3. The GPSr should be convenient to carry and operate with one hand, especially if you use a hiking stick/trekking pole. It should be of a comfortable size and weight and should be able to be comfortably stowed in and retrieved from a shirt/pants pocket.

4. All GPSrs operate using computer software (firmware). Does the manufacturer *regularly* provide firmware updates through the internet? How about their customer support via phone or email?

Also, remember to carry a topo map and always carry a compass.

Speaking of maps and compasses, the last two caches I found without a GPSr. Granted they were not 4/4 caches. Prior to the hike, I had translated the GPS (WGS 84) coordinates into UTM (NAD 27) and had marked the location on a USGS (1:25000) topo map. I then used the map and the compass (triangulation) to get to the spot. Of course I had to look for the cache in a wider area without the GPSr, but it helped me "get my head out of the GPSr" and notice the land and possible locations. I was probably covering and area of about 30-40 square meters. It was actually quite fun!

So...start simple. Learn about map reading, working with compasses and GPSrs, and get out to some 1/1 (or higher) caches to put into practice what you have learned. Remember, this is a great community here, your questions will always be welcomed. Mine always have been!

Cheers,

BP