Garmin Version 2.14 for Etrex

3J`s

Just bought the Etrex and love it, but being new to this, I`m not sure I should upgrade to version 2.14. It came with 2.10. The Garmin upgrade page says the upgrade will prevent excesive track points. Is this something I should be concerned about. I e-mailed them and told them it worked fine, and there response was" if it ain`t broke don`t fix it" which I can understand, being one of the fools to upgrade to Windows Milenium, "THAT WAS REALLY A DOWNGRADE". Bought the cable just for this type of thing, and now I`m not sure what to do. Any insight from the experienced will be apreciated.

I've done several upgrades which have added useful fixes and features. These have typically been good and not like a Microsoft upgrade icon_smile.gif

If you do it, be sure to have a fresh set of batteries installed, follow the instructions and you should be OK...

Tim

I've done several upgrades which have added useful fixes and features. These have typically been good and not like a Microsoft upgrade icon_smile.gif

If you do it, be sure to have a fresh set of batteries installed, follow the instructions and you should be OK...

Tim

I've upgraded my Vista from 2.18, via all versions to 2.28, right now.

So far the upgrades have improved the unit, with the exception for a few flaws, but these flaws have been fixed in the next update.

I think the latest strategy from Garmin, providing beta versions of the firmware for user testing, is the smartest so far. I hope they'll continue, so that updates in the future can be more stable and less bug-filled than they used to be.

Still, I think upgrading is better, since there are usually more pros than cons.

Anders

I am also the type to download every version of Windows the first day it comes out, only to see a revised version come out a week later....

As far as changing from version 2.10 to 2.14, I have not seen much difference, and I am using the track feature all the time to create ATV trail maps.

If you have any reservations about upgrading, it is not going to hurt you to wait - take a few months, get used to the unit and transferring other data back and forth like waypoints, and once you're confident then upgrade.

If you are allready familiar with such procedures, go for it! The procedure to me is easier than transerring data with digital cameras.

Never date a girl whose father calls her princess - chances are she beleives it.

Well I couldn`t help myself, this obsesion to have the latest greatest is a curse. Milenium out, XP in, and so is 2.14. I can`t believe I was making such a big deal about something that was so easy. I believe the only difference I`m going to see is not having the memory fill so fast with track points. But at least now I know how. Now on to EasyGPS for more puzzles to figure out. Got to love those gadgets. Thanks for the feedback !!!!!

MIKE ( 3J`s )

I just upgraded my Vista - it gave me some truly useful and clever improvements. My favorite is the newly animated compass pointer. With the new code it behaves differently when you are following a pre-programmed route: when you are 15 seconds or so from the next turn the pointer "bends", with the arrow pointing the way to turn next, and the tail of the arrow pointing in your current direction. Very cool! Plus it added a complete scientific calculator, and I can now view GPS elevation data. The upgrade process is painless and quick, but as others have said, be sure to have good batteries installed - I'd hate to think about what would happen if the power gets interrupted mid-upgrade.