delorme tripmate

Guest lokibob

Guest lokibob

I have a 5 year old (very old in GPS years) tripmate made by DeLorme tied to a Street Atlas 4.0 mapping software. I put it into a 75 mhz lap top and put it into my truck.( somebody told me I had turned a $2,000 lap top into a $200.00 GPS unit, but the lap top was just sitting around gathering dust anyway) After working out some bugs (believe it or not, Y2K struck)(you have to change the date year to 99, instead of 01 and when it actually sees the satellites, then the date auto updates) I got the thing working, and working well. I found my first cache this morning and the GPC receiver was within 10 feet of the cache location. In the monitor GPS configuration, it gives 4 significant digits after the decimal, which translates to about 4 feet by my observation. I don't know how many averages it uses (the technical specifications are not in the instructions), but I have noticed that it settles down after about 30 seconds. I am very pleased with this units performance today. I would be glad to help anyone who is having trouble getting this unit to work. Bob