Titan 3 Antenna

hwhaler

I recently purchased a Titan 3 external antenna. I got it mostly for the car since because of the GPS orientation in the holder the antenna doesn't always point optimally out the window. I guess I was expecting much greater reception with the Titan 3 but it doesn't seem as strong as I thought it would be. I have it placed on the dashboard towards the windshield so it should be able to look straight up with a clear view.

Anybody else have a Titan 3 and can share their experience?

quote:
Originally posted by hwhaler:

I recently purchased a Titan 3 external antenna. I got it mostly for the car since because of the GPS orientation in the holder the antenna doesn't always point optimally out the window. I guess I was expecting much greater reception with the Titan 3 but it doesn't seem as strong as I thought it would be. I have it placed on the dashboard towards the windshield so it should be able to look straight up with a clear view.

Anybody else have a Titan 3 and can share their experience?

I have a Titan 3. One thing I've noticed about it (and other external, amplified patch antennas, too) is that they work MUCH better when they have a ground plane. Much better. Even a small ground plane is better than none.

Try this - stick the Titan 3 to the roof of the car, or on the hood of the car. I'll bet that you'll see quite a difference.

I carry around a smaller ground plane for use away from the car - it's a medium sized soup can lid.

-Paul

icon_geocachingwa.gif

What rig (GPSr) are you using it on? Have you tested that there is positive voltage bias on your antenna port. Is this the voltage ( and current) that your antenna requires? Some antennas have more or less gain, but you should see a big difference, especially with it on the roof. Perhaps the amplifier in the antenna is bad. Try another antenna and compare.

Poindexter

thanks for that link, I have a 99 blazer that I had hard time getting good signal with GPS on the dash, if I held it to side glass then it received great signal. I finally got an emap and an external antenna to get it to work. I wondered what was wrong but never did know what is was. Now I know.

Thanks

I'm using it with a Garmin V. And I have a 2000 Honda Accord, which according to the link does not have the metal oxide windshield. And the unit came with an aluminum base which I attached, which I believe is the ground plane that was mentioned, no?

So for those of you with a Titan 3-- do you get full signal strength from most satellites? Is the reception consistently that good? If you do a comparison with the unit you have with its original antenna and the Titan, how big is the difference?

Unfortunately, I don't have another external antenna to compare