Mapsend Topo update?

Jmurman

My original ver. was 3.00 just downloaded 4.20c earlier this week and thought it was the latest ver. Thanks for the info will see if I can find a download at Magellan or yahoogroups.

PS

Its not available at yahoo groups, apparently the only way to upgrade is through Magellan, contact them and they will supposedly send a upgrade and you send them the old disk

All who look are not lost

[This message was edited by vagabond on September 05, 2003 at 06:11 PM.]

Please don't. Distributing unreleased software doesn't do anyone any favors.

Magellan doesn't have it on their web site. They seem to _want_ to pay to ship boxes around the country and pay support reps to take your info and play telefone tag with you. The only way we can point out the silliness of this is for everyone that wants the upgrade to actually contact Magellan and bury them with requests for it.

Sometimes working around the system hides the problem.

Fill out the support form at magellangps.com. They will send you 4.20d (which also includes the firmware update cd) for free, but you have to ask.

Yeah, Magellan is sTupiD about the upgrade thing. However, if you got the 4.20c and it's working ok, I don't think I'd bother about 4.20d. The latter is supposed to take care of some kind of problems, but I haven't encountered any problems with 4.20c (nor have I heard of anyone else finding bugs).

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

AFAIK there are only two new features:

1. The ability to send a detailed map file to either GPS, hard drive, or SD card (in a reader).

2. Track displays that use color coding to show speed variations at different track positions.

Max

There are no feature differences in 4.20c or 4.20d.

There was a mention on the Yahoo boards that the 4.20c release was an interim one that Magellan did not really intend for general distribution, and the 4.20d addresses some "flaws" in the 4.20c. I have no idea what those flaws are and I've not encountered any problems in my use. icon_confused.gif

Max

quote:
Originally posted by embra:

AFAIK there are only two new features:

1. The ability to send a detailed map file to either GPS, hard drive, or SD card (in a reader).

2. Track displays that use color coding to show speed variations at different track positions.

Max

You can also edit your track and temporarily set the time from UTC to your local time.

Cheers!

TL

I contacted Magellan and tried to get an update for my MapSend 3.0 and got this reply. How do you get the upgrade?

"We are constantly working to provide the most accurate maps available. We are working with a new map data provider to provide our customers with the best maps for their Magellan GPS unit. Please do register your product(s) online as we can notify you when updates are available. The only changes are in a small duty SD card writer utility and a tech. support baud rate indicator. No data updates. Thank you for your support"

Baked Potato icon_confused.gif

4.20d doesn't have new maps. If that's what you're looking for, their answer is pertinent.

If you have a Meridian and you want to upload your maps via the SD writer, the 4.20d update is worth the hassle to get. In the bigger picture, it's worth the hassle to convince Magellan that it's a "must-have" feature for Meridian and if they don't want to keep answering questions like this, they should just put the stupid thing on the web. icon_biggrin.gif (After we convince them its important, then perhaps getting them to add a "save as" dialogue so you can choose the name on the SD card will be easier.)

If you don't have a Merdian with SD and you don't care about the F6 track editor, I doubt you'll notice any difference.

I don't understand why Magellan is so schizophrenic about this stuff.

I do have a Meridian, and I was looking for updated maps. Where I go elk hunting MapSend has most of the main roads but no logging roads and no trails. Other than that it does what I want. I can walk a trail save it to the GPS and then later enter it onto a map on the PC that I can print out. That way we can have small detaild maps for the area we go into each day. Thanks for the help.

Baked Potato