Turning off WAAS on my Magellan 330

lohroffc

I have been using my 330 for about 2 weeks and I've noticed it does indeed seem to take a while to update. I've read in some of the other discussions that having WAAS turned on can cause this. Does anyone know how to turn it off? I'd like to see if it makes a difference.

Here is an example of what I'm seeing. I went out today with another cacher who had a Magellan 315. They were saying we were within 10 feet and I was showing 80 feet. I stood still for about a minute and watched the number drop from 80 to around 20 before it stopped. This was after the GPS had been on for quite a while, so it had a good reading from the satellites.

dyslexics of the world, untie.

I'm afraid I don't know the proceedure for turning off WAAS on the 330. For the Sportrak you can find the information at:

http://www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/sportrak-pro-rev.html

When you get the information specific to the 330 and try it, let us know what sort of results you get. My sportraks behave this way quite often when in poor reception areas, but seem to work great with WAAS on or off in good reception areas. Depending on conditions, I can overshoot a waypoint by anywhere from 50 to a couple tenths of a mile in poor reception areas. So far, turning WAAS off doesn't seem to help, but since it's hard to know when and where the receiver will mess up, it's hard to say for sure what does and doesn't help. I'd be very interested in hearing what others do to reduce the problem.

Good luck

Jeff

Here's what they say about the Sports pro:

"The units are permanently in the WAAS mode which can't (easily) be switched off. This will be a problem for users far outside the WAAS and EGNOS correction areas. For example, users in Australia have reported significant position errors introduced by receiving the POR satellite's WAAS corrections.

For those that MUST deactivate WAAS, perform the following keystrokes (not approved by Magellan and may lock up the receiver): MENU, Right, Left, Right, Left. A "00" box appears. Rocker up to "03", Enter. Another Enter will deactivate WAAS. Esc, Esc, and then power off. (This is important; other keystrokes may lock up the unit). To turn WAAS back ON, rocker back up to "03" and press Enter."

Unbelievable! Can't turn it off? That seems really strange to me. I'll stick with my Garmin.

4497_300.jpg

A better method may be found in this document at the Yahoo meridian group: MeridianFAQ_0_02.PDF.

Here is an excerpt:

To turn off WAAS, with the Meridian turned off, hold down GOTO and NAV and tap the PWR button. In a couple of seconds you should see a box pop up with "00" inside of it. At this point, release GOTO and NAV. Use the direction pad to change the "00" to a "03" and then press ENTER. A few boxes should pop up. Press ENTER to turn a "YES" to a "NO" (all boxes will change simultaneously). You may need to use the three-finger salute

(simultaneously GOTO, ESC, and ENTER) to get the unit to turn off. Then, when you turn it back on the WAAS satellites should not be visible in the satellite screen. Note that the boot screen will still say "WAAS."

I had success with Meridian and ST Pro with this method, but could NOT get the other method(rocker pad left, right, etc.)to work at all.

For what it is worth, with good seeing under static conditions, WAAS off produced a difference of only a few meters on my units.

Thanks. Now I have to see if this actually solves my problem. One thing I noticed is with WAAS on, the unit didn't display the EPE rating. Instead, it just said "WAAS Enabled". Now I see an EPE rating instead, so I know WAAS is indeed off.

dyslexics of the world, untie.

What you are seeing has been talked about in this thread.

cache overshoot

The problem is not WAAS related. As you move, the 330 is projecting where you will be in the next few seconds, or perhaps minutes. Once you stop, or slow way down, your position will start to back up to where you really are. Once you get within 100 feet, just stop for a minute, and have a look ahead.

Aladin Sane