Import geocaching waypoints to TopoUSA 3.0?

Because ExpertGPS map retrieval is broken right now, I'm forced to use a very lousy and more expensive program that I have, namely Delorme TopoUSA 3.0.

I tried using 'gpsbabel' to take a GPX or LOC file and write it out in the CSV format, which is supposed to be OK for the StreetAtlas products, but TUSA won't touch it. It silently creates a new layer, but there are no markers on it.

Is there another converter I can use that will make TUSA happy, and salvage my planning for geocaching this weekend? icon_smile.gif

Things like this remind me why I didn't spend the dollars to upgrade to TUSA 4.0. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

I tried using 'gpsbabel' to take a GPX or LOC file and write it out in the CSV format, which is supposed to be OK for the StreetAtlas products, but TUSA won't touch it.

I don't have TUSA and don't know any of the file formats it supports. On the probably that it will import something it writes, try entering a few waypoints in TUSA and exporting them to some strain of CSV. It's likely that you can whip a little Perl/Awk/Whatever filter to get the waypoints from your *.loc to that format. Heck, most of the CSV mutants are so obvious you can probably do "one-shots" by hand in an editor of your choosing.

If you can provide sample data that TUSA likes - and it's straight-forward ascii text - I can help.

If it takes a new back-end for gpsbabel, we can do that, too, but I'll only sign up for "quick" for the ASCII/CSV strains.

quote:

Things like this remind me why I didn't spend the dollars to upgrade to TUSA 4.0. icon_wink.gif

I know. I was so unamused at their handling of a reproducable crash in SA9Dlx that I'm less than excited about giving them more money for SA2003.

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Edwards:

if you can get the waypoints into your GPS you could then download them from the GPS.

That's true IF (TUSA doesn't have the same bug in the serial code as SA9 - and that seems like the sort of code I'll bet they recycle) AND (you dont have a magellan with the comments on the waypoint names are all under 20 bytes long)

Now I'm curious. :-)

I've never even been able to get TUSA 3.0 to talk to my GPS (Meridian), much less get waypoints out of it. And I'm not a moron around computers either... icon_smile.gif

That's always been my biggest complaint with Delorme...the map products are great. I always have one of the state Gazeteers with me in the car. The software they sell is crap though.

At any rate, ExpertGPS map retrieval is working again, so this particular issue is now moot... icon_smile.gif