Garmin GPS76Map or Garmin Etrex Vista???

Hello, I currently have a Garmin III that I have for years. I like the unit, but would like to upgrade. I am considering the GPS76 Map or the Etrex Vista. I think I would like to stick with Garmin due to the fact I'm familiar with the operating system. A few questions. What the heck is this "quad helix antenna" and how much difference does it make? Next question, which unit would you purchase... Thanks in advance!

quote:
Originally posted by zjdeere:

Hello, I currently have a Garmin III that I have for years. I like the unit, but would like to upgrade. I am considering the GPS76 Map or the Etrex Vista. I think I would like to stick with Garmin due to the fact I'm familiar with the operating system. A few questions. What the heck is this "quad helix antenna" and how much difference does it make? Next question, which unit would you purchase... Thanks in advance!

"Quad helix" is Magellan's name for the antenna in their GPS units. Garmin's similar antenna design is called a "quadrifilar" but I believe both are pretty much the same type of antenna. The Vista has a "patch" antenna. The quadrifilar is known to have better sensitivity/reception than the eTrex(Vista) line, especially in heavy tree cover. The Vista's antenna is best at being held horizontal (optimal when homing in on the cache) to the ground while the GPSMAP 76(S) is best at being held vertically (not so optimal but still very usable). I have the Vista and this past weekend purchased a GPSMAP 76S (from West Marine in Newport Beach, CA). I like the size of the Vista (tiny)...the GPSMAP 76(S) is huge compared to the Vista. Also be aware that the GPSMAP 76 (not the S version) has only 8mb for map data while the Vista and the GPSMAP 76S both have 24mb. The GPSMAP 76(S)'s tide table feature is also very nice. They are both outstanding units but if you need the greater antenna sensitivity, stick with the GPSMAP 76(S).

[This message was edited by SergZak on June 04, 2002 at 08:05 PM.]

I have the eTrex Vista and like it very much icon_smile.gif except under tree cover icon_frown.gif . Under cover, it will completely loose satellite reception or partially loose it which greatly decreases accuracy. When you are trying to locate an exact lat/lon position, "accurate to within 200 feet" isn't a whole lot of help. With no cover it usually get "accurate within 10 feet". The Vista has lots of features and bells & whistles. I think I would by the GPS76 Map over the Vista just because of the antenna, better under cover. I am keeping my Vista, but am also planning on purchasing a GPS V because of it's features and the external detachable antenna. It will see under the cover of the trees much better than the Vista.

I have the eTrex Vista and like it very much icon_smile.gif except under tree cover icon_frown.gif . Under cover, it will completely loose satellite reception or partially loose it which greatly decreases accuracy. When you are trying to locate an exact lat/lon position, "accurate to within 200 feet" isn't a whole lot of help. With no cover it usually get "accurate within 10 feet". The Vista has lots of features and bells & whistles. I think I would by the GPS76 Map over the Vista just because of the antenna, better under cover. I am keeping my Vista, but am also planning on purchasing a GPS V because of it's features and the external detachable antenna. It will see under the cover of the trees much better than the Vista.

quote:

Any idea how the 76 compares in size with the Garmin III?

Tiny sounds good, but I would not want to get a unit with less reception than my current GPS.

By the way, I got the quad helix name from the Garmin site...

Comparing my GPSMAP 76S to my GPS V (same case size as the GPS III), the MAP 76S is about 1 1/4" longer and 5/8" wider...but the MAP 76S is of course thinner (the GPS V is triangular in it's depth proportion).

so Quad Helix=Quadrifilar...we learn something new every day... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Any idea how the 76 compares in size with the Garmin III?

Tiny sounds good, but I would not want to get a unit with less reception than my current GPS.

By the way, I got the quad helix name from the Garmin site...

Comparing my GPSMAP 76S to my GPS V (same case size as the GPS III), the MAP 76S is about 1 1/4" longer and 5/8" wider...but the MAP 76S is of course thinner (the GPS V is triangular in it's depth proportion).

so Quad Helix=Quadrifilar...we learn something new every day... icon_biggrin.gif