Garmin Mapping ?'s

Guest Rumpled

Guest Rumpled

As a newbie I'm researching buying a GPS.

I'm thinking eTrex Legend but want to know how their mapping works.

Do I have to use their $100 software?

Or can I use other software?

In either case, can I input a topo map? or just waypoints and routes?

How does Magellan 330M differ? if at all?

Thanks for any help

Guest Hawk-eye

All I can answer you on is the Garmin ... you have to use their Mapsource software for mapping ... other programs will handle waypoints and routing ... but they locked the mapping to their software. They have topo software ... it's OK ... just for overall reference ... but it's 1:100,000 scale and accuracy ... is well OK. But you'd probably not want to do without a good old USGS 1:24,000 map ... and there are some good programs like Ter. Navigator that use the USGS maps. Can't load them .. but you can print them. Don't know too much about Magellan software ... hope this helps.

Guest k2dave

I second about everything Hawk-eye has said. Does any unit accept 3rd party maps? You can preview their maps somewhere at the garmin web site. The maps are good and helpful but:

1 the screen size of the gps makes them hard to use.

2 they are not as detailed as USGS maps.

That said I would buy the topo map again if I lost mine.

Topo has all roads too but few are named - I find topo good enough for street navigation too if you set your destination waypoint.

Guest gstrong1

I'll jump in & ditto what Hawk & K2 have said.I've got all Garmin-MAP76,III PLus & eTrex Vista. I've got the Mapsource Topo software & the Mapsource Roads & Recreation. I believe both mapping packages could use some updating, but being all I can use to upload maps, they have each worked well for me.At $95.00 ea.,the price is a little steep,but they do the job. I also picked up the DeLorme Topo software & the DeLorme Street Atlas 8.0. These are more up to date & a few nicer features, but can only upload routes & waypoints to the Garmins. Not any maps. Too bad because at about $49.00 ea.,price is much easier to swallow.After downloading tracks from my GPS to either of the Mapsource maps, I found that the maps were pretty darn accurate. After driving a series of roads over considerable distances, when I downloaded the tracks to the maps, they were pretty much all right on the roads on the maps. Like K2 said, viewing the maps on the eTrex is a little hard on the eyes cuz the unit is so small, but thats what comes with compactness. Love the screen size & resolution on the MAP76 & the III Plus. Can't comment on the Mags. as I've never played with one. Good luck, Rumpled,hope this helps a little. icon_biggrin.gif.--Gimpy--

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest gstrong1

I'll jump in & ditto what Hawk & K2 have said.I've got all Garmin-MAP76,III PLus & eTrex Vista. I've got the Mapsource Topo software & the Mapsource Roads & Recreation. I believe both mapping packages could use some updating, but being all I can use to upload maps, they have each worked well for me.At $95.00 ea.,the price is a little steep,but they do the job. I also picked up the DeLorme Topo software & the DeLorme Street Atlas 8.0. These are more up to date & a few nicer features, but can only upload routes & waypoints to the Garmins. Not any maps. Too bad because at about $49.00 ea.,price is much easier to swallow.After downloading tracks from my GPS to either of the Mapsource maps, I found that the maps were pretty darn accurate. After driving a series of roads over considerable distances, when I downloaded the tracks to the maps, they were pretty much all right on the roads on the maps. Like K2 said, viewing the maps on the eTrex is a little hard on the eyes cuz the unit is so small, but thats what comes with compactness. Love the screen size & resolution on the MAP76 & the III Plus. Can't comment on the Mags. as I've never played with one. Good luck, Rumpled,hope this helps a little. icon_biggrin.gif.--Gimpy--

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest brokenwing

To the best of my knowlege, no third party mapping software will allow you to download actual maps the the GPSR. In other words, own a Magellan? You have to use Magellan maps. Own a Garmin? Then you have to use Garmin maps.

I've got a Magellan 330. I bought the 330x package, so it came with street map software in addition to the basemap. I believe the garmins are the same in that the basemaps are OK, but not that detailed. If you want detail, you need the additional map software.

Unless you need the Marine maps, I'd avoid the 330M in favor of the regular 330. Also, look for the 330x if you decide to go that route. As I said, the 330x comes with the map software, but it also has a data/car adapter cable, as well as a car mount. I got my 330x for $258 delivered. A good deal since the software purchased seperately can run $100.

The only issue right now is that Magellan has not yet released their Topo map software. It is expected to be available at the end of this month. (So they say.) So far, I have not found this to be a problem, but Texas is pretty flat!

brokenwing

Guest timd35

I have a Garmin Vista and also use Street Atlas on my laptop. Has anyone tried to use the two together at the same time. I was wondering how they work together...Put the garmin on the dash and the laptop in the passenger seat so that the screen is visible (to the navigator of course...the driver should not try this alone) and showing the location on the map?

Has anyone tried this and does it work?

Thanks!

Guest k2dave

quote:
I have a Garmin Vista and also use Street Atlas on my laptop.

I have used my iii+ w/ MS streets on a laptop. It works ok - but

1 The laptop updates your position much solwer then your gps does maybe evry 5 second.

2 There is no directional symblom so you can't see which way you are facing from a single static laptop screen (you have to see the progression to figure out direction).

3 if you try to scroll away to see the next city or something and the gps updates it will recenter back on your position. - Basically you have to pause the gps feed or unplug the cable to scroll.

Guest PharoaH

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

DeLorme made a big step towards real-time auto navagation with release (Street Atlas USA ) 8.0.

I never leave home without it! I don't know if anyone else has realized it, but you can plot caches on the SA8 screen. This really beats the hell out of trying to decipher the zip code listing. Instead, you can look at the SA8 map and see where the nearest caches are located, and which ones are near each other. And to top it all off, you can set a cache as the route finish and drive right to it.

The drawback: The maps are missing a lot of local and city parks information that does not show up on the map. I wish it did, since a lot of caches are in those places!