Etrex Or EMap?

Guest Cybo

Guest peter

quote:
Originally posted by Cybo:

Should I Get An Etrex Or An EMap GPS Device?

I presume you are considering the eTrex Legend or Vista since the base model and Summit don't include maps and are in a different class than the eMap. Comparing the eMap to the Vista and Legend, I'd say the key differences are:

- expandable memory in the eMap (up to 128 MB vs. 8 in the Legend and 24 in the Vista)

- audible alarm in the eMap

- external antenna plug in the eMap (vs. need for a powered re-radiating antenna for the others)

- bigger screen in the eMap vs. higher resolution in the others

- more customization of data fields in the Legend & Vista

- somewhat better waterproofing on the Legend & Vista

- compass and barometric sensor in Vista only

I'd still recommend the eMap, but could see people choosing any of these units depending on their specific applications.

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

Should I Get An Etrex Or An EMap GPS Device?

I would tend to agree with Peter in that it depends on what you are doing to use it for primarily. If you are looking to do more in the way of hiking/geocaching it might be helpful to have the ruggedness of an eTrex model. But the eMap does have some very nice features and I've heard that it is very easy to use (so much to the point that even my grandmother could probably pick it up and operate it).

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _________________ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/

"But a big booming voice from the sky is exactly what you have found..."

-Contact

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

I Plan To Do A Bit Of Hiking AND A Bit Of Driving. So I Want One With Maps In It

You might also want to check out the new Garmin GPSMAP 76, people have been saying really good things about it and it seems to have accuracy close to that of the infamous III+

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _________________ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/

"But a big booming voice from the sky is exactly what you have found..."

-Contact

Guest geofred

I have not used an eTrex but I love my eMap. I used a 16mb chip to load half of Colorado state for the drive to Canyonlands. Then, I switched to a 8mb chip previously loaded with the detailed map of Canyonlands trails and hiked the backcountry loading in archeological sites along the way. I now protect mine with an Aquapac bag after dumping it in an Alaskan lake. (It survived the bath.)

------------------

Guest peter

The expandable memory is a big advantage of the eMap over both the eTrex Legend and the Map76. 8 MB might be adequate if you stick to only the Roads & Recreation maps, but if you ever want to add the MetroGuide features and/or topo maps you'll appreciate the extra flexibility of the larger memory cards.