Base Map accuracy.

Just upgraded to a Garmin GPSMap76S from my trusty old GPS 12. this thing is UNREAL!

now my question is this, while playing around with it I have the "base map" on and mapsource map,that I also purchased and loaded in ,OFF.

I'm driving to work on the freeway and the cursor shows my as being off the road,somtimes a little somtimes ALOT. I have the "road lock" feature ON, so what gives? I understand its not going to match the road perfectly 100% of the time but,then if I switch the basemap off and turn the mapsource on it tracks closer to what the map shows? I also know the "lock" doesnt apply to mapsource.,and I get consistent readings as far as showing the same track to and from places laid right on top of each other.

anyone else notice this?

The basemap isn't that accurate. To make it fit in memory, they cut some corners here and there. Don't expect it to show the roads exactly where they are, even if your position happens to be correct.

"Lock on road" doesn't work with the basemap at all, only with MetroGuide maps (and perhaps Roads & Recreations, I don't know that).

Anders

Maybe that's true for the GPS V, but at least it's not for the Vista.

Whatever zoom level you use in the Vista isn't important. But lock on road will never work on the basemap, only on MetroGuide maps that are downloaded to the unit.

You GPS V owners will be able to sort that out, I assume.

Anders

OK, I did a little drive this morning, and did what Jolly said,watching the zoom level, it did change from "overzoom" to "mapsource" above the zoom range. It also APEARS that its locked to a road, but thats just because the cursor is a block long and1/2 block wide at that level(city block on map).

when I got home I dug into the owners manual again and found that, "overzoom" means the map has as much detail as its going to show you, in other words ,zooming in aint gonna show nothing else you dont see already,it will just narrow down the area you see.

also, as to locking to metro guides..I have R&R loaded..I guess that explaind it for me,thanks guys!

on a side note...Anders,do you fish at all? I've been toying with the idea of going to sweden to track down some of my distant relatives and do some sight seeing, but I'm also VERY interested in pike,zander and perch fishing, any tips as to when and where?

quote:
Originally posted by The Face:

on a side note...Anders,do you fish at all? I've been toying with the idea of going to sweden to track down some of my distant relatives and do some sight seeing, but I'm also VERY interested in pike,zander and perch fishing, any tips as to when and where?

I would suggest you try in some water, somewhere... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, I get my fish in the supermarket. However, if you look at a map of Sweden you'll notice that there are lakes virtually everywhere. In many places, you buy a card (fishing license) and can then use the water for fishing. There are also several places where various kind of fish is planted, just to be pulled out of the lake again. icon_confused.gif

Can't tell you anything more, without knowing a little better where in Sweden you plan to go. The country is a thousand miles long, so you have some places to select from...

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by The Face:

I would suggest you try in some water, somewhere... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, I get my fish in the supermarket. However, if you look at a map of Sweden you'll notice that there are lakes virtually everywhere. In many places, you buy a card (fishing license) and can then use the water for fishing. There are also several places where various kind of fish is planted, just to be pulled out of the lake again. icon_confused.gif

Can't tell you anything more, without knowing a little better where in Sweden you plan to go. The country is a thousand miles long, so you have some places to select from...

Anders