using gps underwater possible?

Guest k2dave

Guest k2dave

My gps says it's basically waterproof and will surive submersion for up to so many hrs...etc. But can I use it underwater while scuba-ing? will it get a lock? Will it be accurate? will I shorted the life of the gps?

Guest Elwood

Well, i dont know about anyone else or the water situation but i can get a minimum of a three bird lock from any room in my house.granted it takes a minute to get the lock, and its easily dropped as you move around the house but it does re-acquire when i stop moving.perhaps if i post the coords to my garage.....and have a sale! Just kidding. Elwood

Guest Elwood

I am sure that the signals i recieve in my house are probably far from accurate, i was simply amazed to get any kind of signal at all, my house is wood frame and aluminum siding so not to tough to penetrate, maybe i should wrap it in KEVLAR. lol

GPS will not work very well under water. Like was stated above IPX7 is about as good as it gets and that is only one meter for 30 minutes. The other problem is the GPS signal will only penatrate a few inches of water.

I did read about one niffty work around on either this bulliten board or the GPS newgroup. A diver took his gps with an external antenna and put the GPS in and aquapack and siliconed around the hole he cut for the exteral antenna cord. He then floated the exteral antenna on a small float above him. This work for horizontal position but since the antenna was at the suface the whole time it could not measure depth for him. GPS calculates the positon at the antenna not the receiver. But it did what he wanted.

Later

mcb

Guest k2dave

mcb depth is no problem as most scuba gagues will include a depth gage (I beleive it to be the 2nd most 'popular' gague 1st being tank pressure).

Intersting idea about the antenna though.