Mapopolis problems

jollybgood

Mapopolis 4.0 was running great on my Pocket PC until today.

Today I created a second Maplet and layered it on my maps. (i.e. I was running two maplets at the same time). This seems to have screwed something up.

Now the program runs slow. Toggling the + and - keys to add/remove street detail results in some contigious maps updating and others being ignored. IN short, the program is acting sluggish and screwy.

I tried uninstalling mapopolis and reinstalling it. Same behavior. Then I tried deleting ALL the maps on the Pocket PC and reinstalling EVERYTHING (minus my maplets). Same thing.

Any suggestions? I tried using file explorer and deleting all the hidden mapopolis files but it didn't help.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:

I tried uninstalling mapopolis and reinstalling it. Same behavior. Then I tried deleting ALL the maps on the Pocket PC and reinstalling EVERYTHING (minus my maplets). Same thing.

Is there any chance that maybe somewhere in between you installed some new software or copied some stuff over and have run your PDA nearly out of free memory?

One thing I've noticed about mapopolis (any version) is that it will tend to use up as much memory as it can.

Another thing possibly worth mentioning here.. There's a 4.24 version on their website that was released about a week ago. You might want to upgrade if you haven't already.

The only oddity I've seen in version 4 that I don't think was in version 3 is that mapopolis includes all maplet points in the maplet and landmark searches regardless of whether they are selected under "choose map." Makes for cluttered up searches when you have subsets of the same points in several distinct maplets.

???

alex

quote:
Originally posted by Geek-Qualizer:

4.24 ?? Where? Link?

I see 4.23

From the download page. It says 4.23, but I downloaded 4.24 over the weekend (help -> tech support in the app says 4.24).

I also found This forum post of someone perhaps describing a problem that may be similar to Jolly's original query.

alex

[This message was edited by alexm on September 11, 2003 at 11:22 AM.]

Hey all, with the help of Mapopolis' wonderful support people I found the problem.

Apparently I had an older beta version of the GPX2Maplet program which is known to do bad file formats.

I downloaded the latest beta version and reinstalled Mapopolis using the .cab file instead of the window's installer. (Not sure if that made any difference but I thought it was worth a try.).

Everything is working normally again.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

I just purchased Mapopolis 4.29S for PPC 2003 with a set of Platinum maps. Everytime I try to do anything with Mapopolis other than view the online help, the app quits on me. For the record, the demo version was running fine until it expired.

I emailed tech support about the issue and still have no response after 3 days icon_frown.gif

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Regards,

Fabien.

Got a PPC? Check out GPXSonar @ http://gpxsonar.homeip.net

Hey Geo,

I'm also using V4.29S on PPC2003 without any problems. I'm using the Navigator maps. I don't know if this makes any difference or not though. You should be able to download the full app right from Mapopolis.com and bypass the demo. It almost sounds like the demo expired and you just need to install the full app. The maps are really the only thing you need to pay for. Unless they've changed their marketing methods..

Hmm.

What message are you getting? I have the same setup and it is also running fine.

Did you download county maps or did you use the zip file for your entire state?

Are you starting it from the program icon? Try clicking on a map icon and see if it loads with maps.

How much free memory do you have? Maybe it's running out.

Also "works fine from here". Which is a horrible thing to hear, I know icon_wink.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Michigan Geocaching Organization Homepage

Trippy...

I'm not getting -any- message. The apps quits as soon as I pick any option on the main menu other than help. I am only trying to load 1 map which is about 4.5 megs. The behavior is identical whether I click on the map icon to launch it or if I start from the app itself. I've got about 26 megs of free memory. Mapopolis is the only app running during my tests.

Any more ideas?

Got a PPC? Check out GPXSonar @ http://gpxsonar.homeip.net