Anyone else having Merdian Platinum Problems

I just bought a Meridian Platinum in like new condition over eBay. It initially had the firmware version 3.08, so as soon as I got it I upgraded to the 4.02 firmware.

The GPS worked fine for about 10 days. Then I was out doing some caching the otherday, and it was fairly coold outside (I live in Florida, so don't laugh at what I think is fairly cool), it was about 40 degrees; and the GPS was only showing 4 sattelites in the sky, and it was only getting usuable signals from two of them, which makes it really hard to get a fix. So anyway, I just ignored it, and didn't think much of it.

The next morning I went out set out a cache, and when I started using the GPS if was getting incorrect fixes, it was bouncing between my actual position, a position about 10 miles away, and a position about 100 miles away. I would be completely stopped, and it would show that I was moving at 100 MPH. Anyway, it seemed to get better as it warmed up, and then completely went away, once it got up to about 60 degrees. I don't know if the temp has anything to do with it, but it does seem to work better in warmer temps.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any of these problems, and if they did if they found any solutions.

Used mine the other day in aboout 35 degree weather and windchills of about 20 degrees F. worked fine

satalites were few but had evergreen tree cover and heavy cloud cover, both add to reception problems.

I have 4.02 loaded going on 6 days so I may not have atracted the aliens attention yet. icon_biggrin.gif

Mojocacher

So far it's only happened once...but being slingshotted between Cedar Key, the middle of the Gulf, and Ocala was pretty harrowing. icon_smile.gif

I have had other periods of brief reception problems and in general have been finding that my reported EPE is worse than an identical unit running 3.12, even if the actual position reading is the same. Very odd.

And yes, I've cleared memory, re-loaded, re-initialized, you name it.

I'm anxiously awaiting the 4.15 firmware that is supposed to be on it's way to fix these problems!

Sorry to hear of your troubles RockHopper icon_frown.gif It will be interesting to see what happens when you re-install the old firmware. Best of luck to you. Keep us updated.

Now you make me want to get out on an overnighter trip and let my MeriPlat get good and frozen in the tent or my camper and then try it out when it's nice and cold in the morning.

I wasn't aware of the 4.15 release. Thanks for posting that infosponge. The only bug I have seen so far with 4.02 is the "sprayed" bread crumbs when going around a corner or a curve. But that's no biggie to me, as it is not really "there" on the track data, just on the screen momentarily.

BAJATACO.COM

Vibram or BFG - getting there on rubber and seeing it all!

One thing that really suprised me when I was looking through the specs for the the Meridian Platinum is the minimum operating temperature is only 14 degrees. I live in Florida, so it isn't much of an issue, but I am wondering if there is anyone who has used the GPS below this temperature for a prolonged period of time, and if they have had any problems.