Question regarding Firmware updates for Garmin Etrex

Bradinn

I'm hoping that someone can help me with a small problem I've encountered. We are using a basic little yellow Etrex, and today I finally acquired a data cable for it. Upon visiting Garmins website, I see that they have posted the current release of the firmware as 2.14. When I access the setup screen on my Etrex, it says that I am currently using version 2.06. So I have downloaded and unzipped the updater from Garmin, however when I run it I receive a message which says no software updates are available. I am a touch confused. Has anyone else experienced this? Or by chance does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for any help you can give.

"When I was a young man, I journeyed to the West to find myself......it turns out I had the wrong coordinates."

I didn't have any problems updating to 2.14.

I know these are dumb questions, but you're sure the cables are plugged in good? Clicking the right file? Etrex is powered on and is set to 'garmin' in the interface setup? Are you connecting to the correct com port?

Chip

I checked all of the cable connections, and to be sure, once I received the error message I opened EasyGPS and tried a quick test. Both the Garmin updater and Easy GPS are configured to the same COM port, and I can upload/download with EasyGPS without error. I have also ensured that the interface is set to Garmin. From what I can see (of course, I am no expert) I seem to have everything hooked up and functioning.

"When I was a young man, I journeyed to the West to find myself......it turns out I had the wrong coordinates."

When I upgraded I got three files in the download package

updater.exe, update.txt and 013001000214.rgn

updater had to be run from the directory with the rgn file.

On a side note .. the updater did not recognize any port about 4.. which caused me a fit of reconfig (hear that Garmin?)

Thank you, I appreciate the replies!

I confirmed that I have the same three files, and from all the tests I have done, it has no problem recognizing COM1 as the active port. In fact the updater program will recognize the GPS with no problem and will inform me that it is running version 2.06 (although I just now noticed on a further attempt that the pop up message states that my Etrex is running "Euro" version 2.06 - not sure if that's important - it doesn't show up anywhere else).

There are two different yellow eTrexes. European and English only.

You can't load the firmware for one version into the other. If you look carefully at the Garmin firmware site, you'll see that there are two different files.

The European has multi language capability, the English only doesn't.

Anders

Thank you! I think I must be going blind and senile as old age hits....I never made the connection, I know that my Etrex is multilingual, and I had no idea that the basic Etrex software was for "english only" but sure enough, as soon as I read your post I logged on and there it was...Etrex European! Although I was a little annoyed with Garmin for stating that this download will only work on the mulitlanguage units after you enter the page, as near as I can see, nowhere else does it note that, and I made the automatic assumption that the European version was...well....for people in Europe, and that the Etrex version was for North America. My bad!

Anyway, it's all better now! We're updated and ready to go. Hey thanks again everyone for all the help! I really appreciate your responses!

Gord

Team Bradinn.