eTrex Legend & Mapsource/TOPO

Guest Trailhiker

Guest Trailhiker

I am new to this so excuse my ignorance. I have the Garmin Legend and am interested in the Mapsource and Garmin TOPO cd's.

The unit supposedly has the ability to upload additional maps (8 meg), but nothing that I have read, states how to do that. The instruction book that came with the unit is vague in this operation, and the FAQ's on Garmin's website do not address my questions.

1) Has anyone done this?

2) If so, do you lose the "basemap" that came installed in the unit when I purchased it?

3) Can more than one map be loaded into the unit? (i.e. the original basemap and one or more individual maps for "planned" hikes).

TIA

Guest Prime Suspect

There should be a cable that plugs into a PC port on one end, and your GPS on the other (lift up the rubber flap back of the unit, near the top). The mapping software handles the transfer. The basemap data is not lost. However, if there is additional map data preloaded by Garmin, it will be lost. This should be the Marine POI database (useful for boating). You can download this data from Garmin and restore it at any time. See http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/download.html And also check that your unit's OS is up to date.

Guest HomeChicken

I asked myself the exact same questions.

I have the metroguide CD and all I'm telling you refers to what I'm using.

when in mapsource zoom way out about 20 miles or more and click on the map tool (funny shape)and you will see it selects a area of which will represent the area that you want to download. then click the download to the GPS thingy.. the Legend will only hold one map I select in the southern ca region at a time since it only has 8 MB memory

and no it will not erase the base map since I still have the base map for other parts of the USA.

Go for it I did and will be loading another map in place of what I have on there now for vacation and the areas city streets. It will take a while to download

Oh and as said above make sure your operating system (OS)is up to date new version is 2.30 check your version through the setup>system>options menu>software version...

If not the latest I would download the newest fron garmin's site

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/download.html

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

placed one cache Here

--HomeChicken

[This message has been edited by HomeChicken (edited 16 August 2001).]