Well done Garmin

Without making it a blatant advert, I had to mention the following...

On Monday I asked

quote:
My Garmin II Plus has started displaying the error message "Memory Battery Low".

Anyone know if replacing this is a job I could do myself, or should I let the Proper Men at Garmin do it?

And ConeDXF replied

quote:
You need to let Garmin change this for you. If you take it to their offices in Romsey, they will probably turn it round in 24 Hours, if you speak to them first, they may even do it while you wait.

Well, I rang the nice man at Garmin, who could quite easily have told me to bring it in and charged me for a new memory battery. Instead, he told me a trick to try, and if that didn't work to let him know.

It worked and at little cost to me (and no profit to Garmin, other than a happy customer) my problem is solved - well done Garmin!

I won't mention what the trick was - he asked me a number of questions before he suggested it, so it's probably not appropriate advice in all cases.

Paul

I came, I cached, I fell over in the mud

[Edited for spelling]

Well, I did say...

quote:
I won't mention what the trick was - he asked me a number of questions before he suggested it, so it's probably not appropriate advice in all cases.

...But on your own head be it!

1) Fill the GPSr with fresh alkaline (not rechargable) batts.

2) Switch it on, and put it into simulator mode

3) Leave it switched on for about 13 hours

On the GPS 2+ this took the batteries from fully charged down to just above three quarters on the meter.

This apparently revitalises the memory battery, but doesn't always work - if it doesn't you'll need to get a new memory battery fitted.

Techies - if this looks like bad advice, please don't flame me! I'm only passing on what the man at Garmin told me, and I did say it's probably not always appropriate advice

Paul

I came, I cached, I fell over in the mud