Buying a GPS in Hong Kong

Recommend you buy a GPS from a WEB vendor before you head over as you never quite know what is inside the package you get from some stores in HK.

Recommend the following store as I have spent megabucks there with excellent service !!

//www.thegpsstore.com/site/

I can point you to some Hong Kong waypoints if you need them before you sail.

all the best/

Jens

GPS Jens

I have to say that I'd be surprised if you got a great deal on a GPS - they're not a very popular item there.

However, I assume that you're grown-up enough to find out what a good price would be before you go buying. icon_smile.gif I'd recommend that you also find out what comes with the package (eg data cable), so you don't get conned. (Con number 1)

Con number two is the switch, where they package it up out of sight and you get a duff 'un.

To be fair, I've never been ripped off by a HK shop. & if you buy with a credit card, you have got some protection (opps, Barclaycard, it broke! Can I claim on my insurance?)

Technically speaking, you could get clobbered with VAT when you return to the UK. A dishonest person would pack the flattened box in one suitcase and the GPS in another and claim you bought it in the UK (or post the box home). But you're not dishonest are you? icon_wink.gif

If you buy on HK island (say Causeway Bay) you're going to get better service & a more reliable buy. Kowloon (say Tsim Sha Tsui) will prob get a cheaper price, but slightly more chance of a rip-off. Mong Kong would be the cheapest & riskiest.

As long as you have your eyes open & brain in & know what you are paying, you should be fine.

Spog

I have to say that I'd be surprised if you got a great deal on a GPS - they're not a very popular item there.

However, I assume that you're grown-up enough to find out what a good price would be before you go buying. icon_smile.gif I'd recommend that you also find out what comes with the package (eg data cable), so you don't get conned. (Con number 1)

Con number two is the switch, where they package it up out of sight and you get a duff 'un.

To be fair, I've never been ripped off by a HK shop. & if you buy with a credit card, you have got some protection (opps, Barclaycard, it broke! Can I claim on my insurance?)

Technically speaking, you could get clobbered with VAT when you return to the UK. A dishonest person would pack the flattened box in one suitcase and the GPS in another and claim you bought it in the UK (or post the box home). But you're not dishonest are you? icon_wink.gif

If you buy on HK island (say Causeway Bay) you're going to get better service & a more reliable buy. Kowloon (say Tsim Sha Tsui) will prob get a cheaper price, but slightly more chance of a rip-off. Mong Kong would be the cheapest & riskiest.

As long as you have your eyes open & brain in & know what you are paying, you should be fine.

Spog