Info on right of access

As a member of the National Farmers union and registered with DEFRA,I get loads of leaflets from them each week, the last one was about the new right to roam act, which came today. I cant scan it and put up for people to see as it's covered by government copyright, so I will put a link to it , these info leaflets are free of charge and can be ordered on line , after getting to the site, www.countryside.gov.uk

click on info , then on enjoying the countryside, then access, then New responsibilities, you can then order your own copy and it will give you an idea as to your new rights ( when they come into force) about where and when you can roam at your leisure( England and Wales) Hope some of you may find this of interest. web page right of access

[This message was edited by The Northumbrian on May 23, 2002 at 01:16 PM.]

Other legal thingies I found out whilst working on the GYCH ....

The Wildlife and Countryside act... There are heavy penalties for just disturbing certain birds whilst nesting. Details Naturenet site

Also, furtively planting caches near riverbanks can cause problems with water balifs following you around all day and reporting you to the police as suspected poachers !

icon_redface.gif

Other legal thingies I found out whilst working on the GYCH ....

The Wildlife and Countryside act... There are heavy penalties for just disturbing certain birds whilst nesting. Details Naturenet site

Also, furtively planting caches near riverbanks can cause problems with water balifs following you around all day and reporting you to the police as suspected poachers !

icon_redface.gif

Just had a look at the interactive draft map for right of access. Currently it only has the North West and South East areas marked on the map.

However, looking at the areas it just seems to be giving a legal basis for access to land that people have been using anyway, rather than opening up vast tracts of previously off limits land to the public. Oddly enough they have marked the firing ranges around Pirbright as Open Country, which just seems to be legal manouevering - people still won't be able to roam there even though they now apparently have a legal right to do so, as the land then comes under the exception for denying access in certain situations.

From a geocaching point of view, there doesn't seem to be much difference. The landowner is still responsible for their land, so right to roam is not a right to plant Geocaches on private property without permission.

Richard