Maps

Guest Raymond E

Guest Raymond E

With my history, this is something of a test again. However, I must say I'm impressed with the new-look maps appearing on our web pages - the ones with a thumb tack marking the cache site. It gives an immediate idea of the rough locality. But the thought occurs to me: Has anyone tried downloading the maps featured on the webpage (Mapblast? etc) and, if so, are they succesful or helpful in this part of the world?

Guest Peter Robson

Hi there guys, I have also been interested in the map thing. I contacted the dept of maps and survey and they sell map data on SA but it's very expensive even if you just want coverage of a small area. I also spoke to someone at the dept of tourism, they will probably be putting up map info sometime soon on the net but it won't have topography, just biozones and so forth although it will be in GIS format.

I would love to download my routes onto a GIS program and overlay contour, geology or flora layers. Anyone managed this yet?

Guest clari

Digital maps are very expense at the moment.

What we done was to scan the 1/50 000 map and then register it into a gis package. Not totaly accurate due to the paper and scanner.

Allan