GPS12 or Etrex

Guest sparrow

Guest sparrow

Hey People,

I'm looking at getting a gpsr soon, and was wanting some local advice on the reception issue regarding the two Garmin units above.

My main activity is tramping but who knows I might get into the geocahing thing to.

Any advice from people that have used them side by side etc in the NZ bush would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Guest HunterGatherer

I don't have any experience with the 12... but I've owned an eTrex for a few months and am over the moon with it. Nice and small, sturdy as hell... survived a couple of drops and a dunk in a stream... kept on ticking.

I've only had one instance when the eTrex lost it's mind and started swinging around, but all i did was back out to a clearing, wait for a better lock and headed back in... no problems. It powers up quickly and with a PC cable and waypoint software it's dadgum near unstoappble icon_smile.gif

either way, i'm sure you'll love your GPSR and we look forward to hunting some of your future caches. Be WARNED... this game is fun.

[This message has been edited by HunterGatherer (edited 13 November 2001).]

Guest HunterGatherer

I don't have any experience with the 12... but I've owned an eTrex for a few months and am over the moon with it. Nice and small, sturdy as hell... survived a couple of drops and a dunk in a stream... kept on ticking.

I've only had one instance when the eTrex lost it's mind and started swinging around, but all i did was back out to a clearing, wait for a better lock and headed back in... no problems. It powers up quickly and with a PC cable and waypoint software it's dadgum near unstoappble icon_smile.gif

either way, i'm sure you'll love your GPSR and we look forward to hunting some of your future caches. Be WARNED... this game is fun.

[This message has been edited by HunterGatherer (edited 13 November 2001).]

Hi,

I dont have any experience of any GPS units other than the eTrex.

Basically I love it except for its ability to receive sat signals in the bush.

The only way to tell what is best for your circumstances is to take both units with you on a tramp and see which one performs best.

Cheers.

Guest kaimaikid

i have got the garmin 12 and just to confuse things a mlr sp24 and am comparing both.

Between myself and tgsnoopy we have both the etrix and 12 and are comparing them both. I am noticing that the 12 may be more sensitive in picking up sattelites and also has some more features plus it's a breeze to use with it not being not much bigger or hevier.

We will keep you posted as more differences come to light. One thing is tgsnoopy wishes that he still had a 12. icon_smile.gif

Guest kaimaikid

i have got the garmin 12 and just to confuse things a mlr sp24 and am comparing both.

Between myself and tgsnoopy we have both the etrix and 12 and are comparing them both. I am noticing that the 12 may be more sensitive in picking up sattelites and also has some more features plus it's a breeze to use with it not being not much bigger or hevier.

We will keep you posted as more differences come to light. One thing is tgsnoopy wishes that he still had a 12. icon_smile.gif

I've found my etrex pretty good, it definately takes a bit of knocking around and it has been compatible with every pc software package I have tried with it so far. The only thing I'm not so sure about is under a canopy, I'll always lose the signal without a reasonable amount of sky in view i.e. a clearing. I've never tried the 12, so couldn't tell you if it's any better. The etrex has been fine for geocaching if that's your reason for buying one.

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

Guest kaimaikid

Home > Products > Outdoor > Product Comparison > Results

GARMIN Site ------------------- ABOUT GARMIN - History - Why GARMIN? - Facilities - Investor Relations - Employment Information ------------------- ABOUT GPS - What is GPS - Applications - Glossary - Links ------------------- SITE INDEX ------------------- HOW TO BUY - Dealer Locator - Buy From GARMIN ------------------- WHAT'S NEW - New Products - Announcements - Testimonials - Trade Shows - Adventures in GPS - Current Promotions ------------------- PRODUCTS - Aviation - Cartography - Marine - Mobile Electronics - OEM/Sensors - Outdoor ------------------- ACCESSORIES ------------------- SUPPORT - FAQs - Updates & Downloads - User's Manual - Product Registration - Warranty Information - Cartography ------------------- CONTACT US - Technical Support - Sales Support - Facilities - Human Resources - Site Evaluation

Product Comparison

GPS 12 eTrex

Receiver 12 channel 12 channel

Number of Waypoints 500 500

# of Routes / # of waypoints per route 20/30 1/50

Database or Basemap N/A N/A

Additional map options N/A N/A

Battery Life 24 HR 22 HR (2AA)

Display Size 2.2 x 1.5 2.1 x 1.1

Display type Black and white LCD 4 level Gray LCD

Pixels (H x W) 100 x 64 128 x 64

Standard GPS Antenna Built in Built in

TracBack Mode Yes Yes

# of Tracklog Points 1024 1536

Unit Weight 9.5 oz. 5.3 oz.

Audible Alarms No No

Waterproof Standard IPX7 IPX7

Unit Size (H x W x D) 5.8 x 2.1 x 1.2 4.4 x 2.0 x 1.2

Screen Orientation Vertical This Feature is not applicable to this Product

Click Stick (5 position cursor switch) This Feature is not applicable to this Product N/A

Backlit Display 3 level Single level

Ext. Ant. Hookup No N/A

WAAS capability This Feature is not applicable to this Product N/A

Loran TD position format Yes N/A

MGRS position format Yes Yes

Hunting/Fishing calculator This Feature is not applicable to this Product N/A

Celestial Information Page This Feature is not applicable to this Product No

Proximity Waypoints Yes N/A

Built in calendar This Feature is not applicable to this Product N/A

Voltage Range 5-8 2.5

Waypoint Icons Yes Yes

MSRP $231 $145

Copyright Garmin Corporation 1996-2001

Privacy Statement

sorry ,mite get me hand smacked for this, but it's the easiest way to do it.

cheers

stoney icon_biggrin.gif

Guest kaimaikid

Home > Products > Outdoor > Product Comparison > Results

GARMIN Site ------------------- ABOUT GARMIN - History - Why GARMIN? - Facilities - Investor Relations - Employment Information ------------------- ABOUT GPS - What is GPS - Applications - Glossary - Links ------------------- SITE INDEX ------------------- HOW TO BUY - Dealer Locator - Buy From GARMIN ------------------- WHAT'S NEW - New Products - Announcements - Testimonials - Trade Shows - Adventures in GPS - Current Promotions ------------------- PRODUCTS - Aviation - Cartography - Marine - Mobile Electronics - OEM/Sensors - Outdoor ------------------- ACCESSORIES ------------------- SUPPORT - FAQs - Updates & Downloads - User's Manual - Product Registration - Warranty Information - Cartography ------------------- CONTACT US - Technical Support - Sales Support - Facilities - Human Resources - Site Evaluation

Product Comparison

GPS 12 eTrex

Receiver 12 channel 12 channel

Number of Waypoints 500 500

# of Routes / # of waypoints per route 20/30 1/50

Database or Basemap N/A N/A

Additional map options N/A N/A

Battery Life 24 HR 22 HR (2AA)

Display Size 2.2 x 1.5 2.1 x 1.1

Display type Black and white LCD 4 level Gray LCD

Pixels (H x W) 100 x 64 128 x 64

Standard GPS Antenna Built in Built in

TracBack Mode Yes Yes

# of Tracklog Points 1024 1536

Unit Weight 9.5 oz. 5.3 oz.

Audible Alarms No No

Waterproof Standard IPX7 IPX7

Unit Size (H x W x D) 5.8 x 2.1 x 1.2 4.4 x 2.0 x 1.2

Screen Orientation Vertical This Feature is not applicable to this Product

Click Stick (5 position cursor switch) This Feature is not applicable to this Product N/A

Backlit Display 3 level Single level

Ext. Ant. Hookup No N/A

WAAS capability This Feature is not applicable to this Product N/A

Loran TD position format Yes N/A

MGRS position format Yes Yes

Hunting/Fishing calculator This Feature is not applicable to this Product N/A

Celestial Information Page This Feature is not applicable to this Product No

Proximity Waypoints Yes N/A

Built in calendar This Feature is not applicable to this Product N/A

Voltage Range 5-8 2.5

Waypoint Icons Yes Yes

MSRP $231 $145

Copyright Garmin Corporation 1996-2001

Privacy Statement

sorry ,mite get me hand smacked for this, but it's the easiest way to do it.

cheers

stoney icon_biggrin.gif

Guest tgsnoopy

Well my opinion (at this point in time) on the GPS12 versus etrex situation is no secret. I have an original etrex not neccessarily the current version! (mind you it does have the latest firmware).

I know for a fact that my old GPS12 blew away the etrex in reception. My etrex couldn't get any reception in the hut on top of Pirongia but my old GPS12 right next to it could! an accurate fix with 5 satellites to boot! I must admit that the etrex with clear view of the sky, in a hot start situation could obtain a fix quicker than the GPS12, but it's poor reception offsets this advantage. Often the GPS12 would have 7 satellites when the etrex only had 5 in only very light canopy situations, in addition to this the etrex would be inaccurate!

So I suggest that you try to obtain one of each on appro from whomever you intend to purchase from and decide for yourself icon_smile.gif.

Guest tgsnoopy

Well my opinion (at this point in time) on the GPS12 versus etrex situation is no secret. I have an original etrex not neccessarily the current version! (mind you it does have the latest firmware).

I know for a fact that my old GPS12 blew away the etrex in reception. My etrex couldn't get any reception in the hut on top of Pirongia but my old GPS12 right next to it could! an accurate fix with 5 satellites to boot! I must admit that the etrex with clear view of the sky, in a hot start situation could obtain a fix quicker than the GPS12, but it's poor reception offsets this advantage. Often the GPS12 would have 7 satellites when the etrex only had 5 in only very light canopy situations, in addition to this the etrex would be inaccurate!

So I suggest that you try to obtain one of each on appro from whomever you intend to purchase from and decide for yourself icon_smile.gif.

Guest kaimaikid

quote:
Originally posted by Adman:

So the major differences are Proximity Waypoints, price, size and # of Routes. What are Proximity Waypoints confused.gif

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

the gps 12 proximity waypoint function warns you when you are getting too close to hazardous waypoints. This function allows you to create up to nine proximity waypoints and disignate an alarm circle for each waypoint. If you enter this circle, a warning message will alert you.

just another safety feature if you go wandering around the bush with your eyes closed and could stumble over a cliff or even fall down a tomo or mine shaft etc. etc.... cool.gif

well must admit I learnt something new.

cheers

stoney