Guest rediguana

m

List of New Zealand Geocaches

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?country_id=9&submit3=Submit

Map of NZ Geocaches

http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/new_zealand.shtml

Some Geocaching Statistics

http://www.switchbacks.com/geocaching2.html

Anothing activity is to find Degree Confluences. These confluences occur where imaginary lines of latitude and longitude cross.

The Degree Confluence Project

http://www.confluence.org

I would be greatly interested in comments, feedback and suggestions so we can advance Geocaching in NZ - and get Donovan some more caches to hunt icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 18 September 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

...get Donovan some more caches to hunt...

I won't say no to that! icon_wink.gif

quote:
I have a suggestion for an infotech/entertainment/sporting article. Since selective availability was turned off in mid-2000 on the Global Positioning System, GPS receivers are now able to provide accurate, repeatable positioning that varies from a few to 20-30 metres.

Good, but add more detail on what SA was and exactly when Clinton had it turned it off (a few days before the first geocache was placed, as far as I recall)? Actually, accuracy is better than that, it's around 10 to 20 m on a good day, however, repeatability is usually better, it can be as good as 2 to 12 m.

quote:
The ability to accurately reproduce a location on the earth's surface has allowed new forms of recreation to develop. The most popular is Geocaching.

Good! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Basically Geocaching entails hiding a container on public land somewhere, noting the coordinates, and then posting them on a web site for people to hunt and find. Some may be containers of goodies, whereby if you take something, you replace it with something else of similar value. Others may be like a puzzle and require you to find multiple locations before finding the final cache. Some may be virtual, where the reward is purely the location.

A good summary. icon_smile.gif

quote:
New Zealand has about 70 geocaches, and a large portion of them are in the South Island with most of them in Canterbury. There are over 7,000 geocaches worldwide, with over 95% being placed this year.

Yep. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Donovan Govan, one of the first geocachers in New Zealand has made a tremendous contribution to this activity, placing 29 caches around New Zealand.

Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Geocaching is a free activity, apart from the GPS unit and travel. At this stage coordination largely occurs through geocaching.com. And with the cheapest GPS units starting at just over $300 new, the activity is reasonably accessible.

Mention that there are no service fees for using a GPS receiver too?

quote:
If you are interested in pursuing this for an article, please let me know. There are a few people who would love to take a writer out to go caching. There is no commercial intent behind this, just an interest to increase awareness of this new technically powered hobby. Perhaps its interesting to have some new tech that takes you outside, to new places, on great adventures, is fun, and is good for your health. If overseas trends are any thing to go by, there should a lot of growth in geocaching this summer.

Great! I like the links too. icon_smile.gif

Maybe you could send this to some popular tech. magazines, just to increase our chances of getting a story. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

erseas trends are any thing to go by, there should a lot of growth in geocaching this summer.

Press Release - Removal of Selective Availability

http://clinton4.nara.gov/WH/EOP/OSTP/html/0053_2.html

Geocaching.com

http://www.geocaching.com

Oldest Active Geocache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5

List of New Zealand Geocaches

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?country_id=9&submit3=Submit

Map of NZ Geocaches

http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/new_zealand.shtml

Some Geocaching Statistics

http://www.switchbacks.com/geocaching2.html

The Degree Confluence Project

http://www.confluence.org

Guest rediguana

I think the best way of tackling the media will be for us to each take a region of the country, and target specific publications - for example, I could do Canterbury, and approach the likes of The Press for coverage.

Who is interested in approaching the region they live in.

Also, for those publications that are nationwide, like say netguide, perhaps we could get a few of us to sign an email before sending off a request to the editor. The more names the better!

Cheers Gav

quote:

perhaps we could get a few of us to sign an email before sending off a request to the editor. The more names the better!

I like your revised letter. icon_smile.gif

Count me in on the e-mail.

Cheers,

Donovan.

BTW, in August Silicon Chip (an Australian electronics magazine with a high NZ readership) featured geocaching on it's cover along with quite a good article inside. With any luck this will help NZ geogacher numbers too.

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

Just thinking of publications that would be suitable targets...

Newspaper Infotech

* Press

* Herald

* ODT etc

Infotech

* PC World

* NetGuide

Interested Activities

* Mountain Biking

* Hiking

* Adventure

Feel free to add to the list.

Cheers Gav

Guest HunterGatherer

Great idea guys and i'm behind you 100%.

I'm a radio DJ here in Auckland speaking to 150,000 + people everynight. Two weeks ago I did a general "Anybody know what geocaching is..." type of thing and didn't get one phone call. Admittedly, i work for a youth station and this game is probably a bit too much like hard work for most of them, but it shows how little is known about geocaching here in Auckland.

Let's go...

I want a few more caches to find here in Auckland

quote:
Originally posted by HunterGatherer:

Geocachers are a rarity here in auckland...

www.geocaching.co.nz is still up for grabs...

I know how you feel! I've placed 29 caches all over the place and I'm still the only active geocacher in the whole of Otago and Southland. icon_frown.gif

BTW, that would be a really cool domain name! icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

They'll come out of the woodwork - but only if we take it to them. Quite a few people I have explained/taken geocaching quite enjoy it, and they haven't got GPS units. We have to

1. Target those who have GPS units

2. Target those who are susceptible to buying GPS units and bring them into the fold

Number ones will be the easiest to convert as they have made the initial outlay. Harder will be those who want to get into geocaching and have to buy the unit.

Cheers Gavin

PS And geocaching.co.nz has now been taken - it might be useful for our plans for nationwide domination mwahahahahaha icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by HunterGatherer:

Thumbs Down cause Geocachers are a rarity here in auckland... seems to only be 2 - 3 of us here.

BTW, I'm planning on planting some caches in the West Auckland / Waitakere Ranges area over the next few weeks. I'll keep this list updated on progress.

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Kez:

BTW, I'm planning on planting some caches in the West Auckland / Waitakere Ranges area over the next few weeks. I'll keep this list updated on progress.

Good stuff! At this rate I'm gonna run out of caches in the South Island soon so I'll have to make some dashes to the North Island! LOL I'll keep an eye out for them icon_wink.gif

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

D'oh! What have we forgotten???

We need to come up with a little brochure for people to collect from stores that stock GPS units! How could I be so blind icon_wink.gif And it's in stores interest to promote geocaching as it will promote the sales of GPS units. I might see if I can come up with a brochure that we can give them. Interested in thoughts.

Cheers Gav

Guest nz_etrex

Great idea guys.

I think SA was turned off on May 1st 2000 (although I may be wrong)

However, it may be turned back on due to the latest crisis.

A brochure would be good.

Anybody volunteering to help get the sponsorship needed?

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by nz_etrex:

I think SA was turned off on May 1st 2000 (although I may be wrong) However, it may be turned back on due to the latest crisis.

I don't think thats going to happen. There are too many commercial ventures using the GPS constellation now, to turn it off in these increasingly difficult times would only make things worse for a lot of people - something that wouldn't go unnoticed by those in control.

On the flipside, the US does have the ability to locally screw up the GPS signals when operations are being held - I believe through jamming and interference.

quote:
A brochure would be good. Anybody volunteering to help get the sponsorship needed?

Hehe, hadn't actually thought about it like that - I was thinking just of a folded brochure that I can print on my laser printer, and ask the GPS shop to place them prominently, and they can even include geocaching as a sales point as something else you can do with a GPS. It would be cool to have a nice colour glossy brochure, but I think we can at least do something now and fast, and if it becomes really popular we can ramp it up further seeking sponsorship and the like.

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 22 September 2001).]

quote:

We need to come up with a little brochure for people to collect from stores that stock GPS units!

That's another great idea. icon_smile.gif Earlier this year I thinking about having a word to local GPS suppliers and getting them to mention geocaching as a selling point for GPSRs. But your idea is even better, as those who have just bought a GPSR are most easily converted to Geocaching (i.e., they will be just itching to find new things to do with it (as far as I remember icon_wink.gif)).

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest HunterGatherer

how bout approaching places like Dick Smith and ask if it's possible to bundle the newsletter/brochure with their GPS units.

Also, find out who the loacl distributers are (if any) for Garmin etc... they may be interested in helping us promote the sport. They may even have a few ideas.

[This message has been edited by HunterGatherer (edited 24 September 2001).]

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Adman:

Why not have a Geocache in the sea, attached to a bouy ... that might get boaties interested.

LOL I was driving past a small lake the other day with an island on it, when warmer weather comes I intend to swim out and stick one there icon_smile.gif Unless someone does it first of course...

Cheers Gav

quote:
Originally posted by Adman:

Why not have a Geocache in the sea, attached to a bouy

You could do that, but as RedIguana just suggested, it would be cool to put your cache on a small island (maybe only reachable by boat so that other boaties can find it?). I have only one cache on an island so far (If you exclude the South and North Islands icon_wink.gif). You can wade over to it on Monkey Island at low tide.

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

A while ago I mentioned getting some CD/rescue types into geocaching... looks like that will happen soon. I sent an email to their team leader, saying that geocaching would be a good way to improve familiarisation with a GPS, and they're into 4wd as well, so we may have a few more round this way soon icon_smile.gif Now if I could just get my GPSR back off him LOL

Cheers Gav

Guest peejay

Spoke to the Editor of Netguide mag today re mentioning Geocaching in the magazine. He had forgotten all about it but now promises that there will be a page in the November issue so go and grab one in 4 weeks!

He also said that after visiting the geocaching site he was keen to try it for himself.

If you see this Nigel, thanks for the promo.