More Interesting Caches?

Guest rediguana

Guest rediguana

I am interested in placing more challenging, and more interesting caches in NZ, and I'm interested in peoples ideas and feelings on the issue.

I enjoyed doing Quarry Hill recently, and I also like the idea of the Hanmer Springs Urban Mobile Cache, if I could at least find it icon_wink.gif

Quarry Hill

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2926

Hanmer Springs Urban Mobile Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3430

I guess we could break it down as follows

* Mental

* Codebreaking icon_wink.gif

* Puzzles/Riddles

* Offsets/Split Coordinates

* Research

* Physical

* Special equipment/knowledge

* Night caching with reflectors

* Long walk/Swim/Climb/Abseil etc

* Camoflague

* Moveable

* Multicache

One of the first ones I want to do is a night cache, where you go to the coordinates, and then using a torch have to follow reflectorised markers to the cache. The idea being that you can only find the cache at night. Of course you have to be able to navigate back to the starting point at the end of it all mwahahahaha icon_smile.gif

I also want to do a Q&A multicache, with virtual caches leading to a real cache. How far is fair to have people drive from cache to cache. Or is a marathon cache OK, as long as it is marked as such?

And storyboard/theme caches? I've started one with the Spy Break series, but because of studies haven't managed to really get it started yet.

Or is this overkill for NZ? Interested in thoughts...

Cheers Gav

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

I am interested in placing more challenging, and more interesting caches in NZ

That's a good idea. icon_smile.gif I seem to recall mentioning it when you were getting started in Are Our Geocaches Too Easy? icon_wink.gif

I am planning a few at the end of long walks (several hours), it's just a matter of finding the time.

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

I seem to recall mentioning it when you were getting started ... I am planning a few at the end of long walks (several hours), it's just a matter of finding the time.

Yes we have discussed it before, I just thought it might be an interesting topic to raise again now that more people are caching - well slowly anyway icon_smile.gif And yes, time is a biggy!

So what do you like in hunting caches?

Cheers Gav

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

So what do you like in hunting caches?

Well, I agree that the searching is more fun than the finding (for me anyway), but we should continue to place regular caches with items to exchange, this is because some hunters enjoy this part of the sport the most (especially newbies).

Caches that are at the end of long scenic walks are good, but they may put off people that are just passing through (they therefore may have limited time). But they are great for guiding people to places they might not otherwise go (would you have found and followed that half-track on Quarry hill otherwise? icon_wink.gif).

I agree that we need more cryptic, multi, and offset caches (or mixtures of all three icon_wink.gif), they should make the sport more interesting.

Regards,

Donovan.

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

Well, I agree that the searching is more fun than the finding (for me anyway), but we should continue to place regular caches with items to exchange, this is because some hunters enjoy this part of the sport the most (especially newbies)

Yes I definately think all the fun is in the search, but finding something when you get there is good. Just to let you know you are definately in the right spot. It gives a bigger sense of acheivement. All the cache needs to be is a log book that is enough. icon_smile.gif

Guest rediguana

s getting a little harder to place cachers in Canty now, at least ones that are close to town anyway icon_wink.gif I would be more than happy just to log visits now. But like anything, a balance is good, and having trinkets caches will appeal to the newer cachers.

Cheers Gav

Guest HunterGatherer

Here's an interesting one for you.

Two codes, 9 locations and a strong box.

I took a look last night and managed to solve the cipher. But now i've got to go and visit each location to get clues to solve the matrix.

Well done Steve & Liz... this should keep me going for a few days at least.

Mission:Impossible

Guest tgsnoopy

Well I'm looking forward to going up to Auckland to check out Steve & Liz's Mission Impossible, it looks good, well done!

Hey guys, we will have hit 100 caches in NZ this weekend icon_smile.gif

I've just been speaking to another new cacher (like me only 3 weeks today!) here in Tauranga, who I will admit I do team up with a bit of the time. He placed 2 caches this weekend, 1 real and 1 virtual, and I placed 4 real.

1 of his and 1 of mine are yet to appear on the site which will push us over 100 caches. I think he will get the honour of cache 100 and curiosly enough, although we didn't discuss or co-ordinate it, his last cache is actually on the track to my last cache icon_smile.gif I think we must have missed each other by only minutes going in and out too.

I had an incident this afternoon with a senior DOC staff member too. On leaving Otanewainuku (I went in because I forgot to write down it's contents when I placed it yesterday).

I approached a group at the entrance to the track with a cache in my hand, my intention was to introduce geocaching to this more mature tramping group. I got a great reception only to discover to my horror that one member of the group was a senior DOC staff member I recognised.

Lots of questions from her... I reassured her that the group was taking into consideration enviromental impact, that we were encouraging feedback on the caches impact on the enviroment, and would promptly remove it if neccessary. I also told her we encouraged removal of rubbish from the area.

She seemed unconcerned, but said we should have approached DOC before placing any caches. In any case I volunteered my services free of charge to repair a certain Solar Powered Repeater I built for them about 18 months ago. Hopefully that will appease the local Area Manager (whom I know reasonably well) if something is said (but I don't think anything will be, fingers crossed).

I sure hope I didn't just cause a political nightmare for geocachers in DOC land. Sorry in advance if I did.

Heya,

Well I was gonna post 'bout this on this forum but ya bet me to it icon_smile.gif

> Two codes, 9 locations and a strong box.

The box isn't that strong. If someone does figure out the matrix, and goes out and finds the cache, they could probably get it open with a hammer or something. Of course, they would have me to answer to - the fishing tackle box wasn't the cheapest in the world but one of the few I could find that were lockable.

> I took a look last night and managed to solve the cipher.

Next time I'll use triple DES icon_wink.gif

But now i've got to go and visit each location to get clues to solve the matrix.

> Well done Steve & Liz... this should keep > me going for a few days at least.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Guest tgsnoopy

I had a go at Mission Impossible today.

Apparently I wasn't the only one, outside a certain motel where the canine with sharp teeth and a healthy bark was announcing my presence, I observed the motelier was very concerned with my wandering around GPS and clipboard in hand.

Needless to say I approached him and told him what I was doing, whch seemed to put him at ease, I got the distinct impression I wasn't the only one to be observed doing it today, although no definite statement to that effect was made.

The upshot of the days efforts, I have visited all the GPS co-ordinates and got all the clues sussed. However, it appears the start co-ordinates are incorrect. We worked out what the clue most likely was, but were unable to connect it to the GPS co-ordinate. I spoke to Steve on his cellphone, who confirmed I had the correct answer, but it appears I was in the wrong location. I guess Steve will check and correct in due course.

Now all I have to do is crack the darn cipher, I wasted about $20.00 on one of those coin operated internet terminals at Auckland Airport trying to get information to help me, and tried to resolve the cipher without success. Pity my sister was up north this weekend. I've now returned to Tauranga, and will return another day after I've resolved this cipher.

So no comments from others working on this! I know you are trying, I guess HunterGatherer will get it as he already has stated he's got the cipher stuffed.

All in all, I am very impressed with this caching effort, well done Steve and Liz. I look forward to future challenges like this. Next time I guess I will need to be better prepared icon_smile.gif

Guest tgsnoopy

Dooh, now that I'm at home, free of distractions, deciphering that darn cipher is easy, LOL, typical. Oh well, that'll teach me. I guess HunterGatherer is laughing at me. I guess I might be going back up to Auckland tommorrow.

Guest HunterGatherer

haven't had a chance to do anything since solving the cipher... will probably have to wait for the weekend for this... managed to get all the points in south auckland without ringing steve on his cell icon_smile.gif but still haven't looked at the westside points...

next weekend

Guest tgsnoopy

confirm my suspisions re the start point. He confirmed we had the right clue, even though we were unable to make the connection.

He also made it clear that the Vinegere Cipher was real, whereas previously I assumed that it was just made up for the purposes of this geocache.

Now if I can just solve this darn matrix confused.gif .

Guest HunterGatherer

gotta say Snoop... i'm ruined. i have no idea what to do with this matrix now that it's filled in. I can't do much until the weekend, then I'll make time to sit down and solve this thing.

How you getting on?

Guest tgsnoopy

I'm still stumped with the Matrix icon_frown.gif.

I observe Steve has now corrected the coordinate error for the start and the minor error in the vinegere cipher. He has also added a new cache with further info on decoding the matrix icon_smile.gif.

I have to go to Auckland today on business and am leaving at 6.30am so hopefully I will get time to do the Geodash point on the side of the road up there and also an easy Geaocache if I'm lucky if the meeting I have doesn't drag on.

All going well I'll be in a better position to answer this late tonight.

Guest tgsnoopy

Well don't go expecting the new cache to make it easy to resolve this Mission Impossible, which so far has been living up to it's name.

The first Clue given isn't really all that neccessary if you research the vinegere cipher. The second Clue given basicly confirmed my suspisions but still left one question unanswered. The third Clue given is a little helpful, but I'm still bloody confused and will need to really sit down and look at this objectively.

What I will say is... If you are unluckly enough to have a GPS like my etrex (I seem to have a bad one) and are unable to get lock under the canopy, then don't rely on a fix from NZ Mapped or a topographical map. If you do this you could end up on the wrong track as I did. There are a number of tracks in there, and they all have similar numbers. I wasted a couple of hours stooging the wrong area in there, even after two phone calls to Steve I still was unable to locate the clue and was a very unhappy camper, especially after finding rusty barbed wire the hard way and then broken glass. In any case, thanks to some local knowledge, I soon tried a different track and located the clue easily icon_smile.gif.

Hi guys,

Nice to see I've completely stumped both of you icon_smile.gif tgsnoopy, sorry about the barbed wire and broken glass. I did have my doubts about putting the clue in Kirks Bush because it's a well-used shortcut and who knows what sort of people lurk out there. I hope nobody outside of Geocaching finds the clue which I think I hid relatively well, and trust you put the clue back how you found it.

It might have been a bit hard finding info on a vinegere cipher - it's actually spelt vigenere (with a stroke above one of the e's) and I suspect I might have made a typo in the cache report (which has now been fixed). As I said, next time I'll be using 3DES so you won't have to worry about that, all you'll need is a beowulf cluster and some programming experience instead :)

Even though I've been in Kirks bush several times before I didn't realise there were more than one instance of the numbers on the trails. Thinking about it it makes perfect sense, they would indicate distances along each track from the roadside or something. Oh well. All I know is that when I went in there, around the point I hid the clue with my eTrex the accuracy was swinging around 7-12m, but eventually stuck on 7m. The reason I chose that spot was because I had trouble getting a signals in many other places around the bush but there was a bit of tree clearance above that spot.

I would have come down to help you find the clue (as I'm only in Manurewa) but I was a bit busy at the time when you rang me so I couldn't - sorry !

As for the matrix... Well, as I've already said, concentrate on the top and the bottom lines.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Steve

Guest tgsnoopy

Steve, Could you please e-mail me a copy of the page you are putting in your caches in case general public find them. I'm planning on adapting it and getting some printed and laminated for my caches. Thanks in advance Neill icon_redface.gif) tgsnoopy@xtra.co.nz

Guest HunterGatherer

Gotta say Snoop... i had no drama with the Bush Clue... i found it the day it went down... but didn't say anything about it cause i didn't want you to think i still in the hunt icon_smile.gif

can't have you thinking i'm close, then rushing out to find it icon_smile.gif

With the Evil Agent Snoop hard on my heels, have decided to maintain radio silence until matrix is solved and bunker objective is achieved.

Hi Neill

Sorry - I don't have a soft copy of the file anymore. The page I printed out and stuck into ehcacoeG was based on a page that Team HG had adapted from the 'official' document at http://www.geocaching.com/articles/stashnote.doc, and which I adapted further. Nothing stopping you doing the same! icon_smile.gif

As I said, when err, Agent Morrison planted the clue in Kirks Bush he had 7m accuracy much of the time in that little bush clearing - this swung up to 12m accuracy in that area, but in other areas of Kirks Bush he lost coverage completely.

So who else apart from Team HG and tgsnoopy's going to attempt MI? Kez? Kim? All you other Aucklanders?

Guest tgsnoopy

dadgum, this weather had better hold out.

Yet to confirm, but young Jess seems to think he's had a break through. Maybe I'll be going back up to Auckland sooner than I planned. icon_smile.gif

Hopefully I'll beat Team Hunter Gatherer who seem to be playing their cards very close to their chest. tongue.gif

Guest tgsnoopy

Oh well, no urgency to go up to Auckland again now! LOL.

Well done Team Hunter Gatherer!

Hmm, what to do next! Shall I place a cache or two, or a geodash perhaps?

Hmmm, there is a challenging and hopefully accessable geodash point in the Coromandel I might attempt, then perhaps place a cache or two up there, I guess tommorrow will see what mood I'm in icon_smile.gif

Guest HunterGatherer

I only solved the matrix on saturday morning. Had to wait til i finished work at 1pm before i could get out and find the cache. was hoping i had you beat.

When i went out there i noticed a pair of fresh footprints heading in the right direction... thought i'd been beaten icon_smile.gif

the footprints went directly to the cache area and back again... i was stoked when we got there and the cache was undisturbed.

nothing like a bit of pressure to get the ol' brain ticking over.

i left a message in the cache log book for ya Snoop icon_smile.gif

nice work Steve and liz for a creating a real challenge... and a cache in a great area.

Team Hunter Gatherer (with help from Agent DriveTime) strike again icon_smile.gif

Guest tgsnoopy

Well young Jess unfortunately didn't solve the matrix and I still haven't looked too seriously at it! I'd better get on to it.

Also I'm taking up my daughter and one of her friends on Wednesday to the Car Auctions so she can buy herself a newer car, that may prevent me having time to persue the MI cache. Especially if the Matrix isn't cracked by then. I'll have to get onto that. I also have a new mission on the way down, and still the meeting up there in the early afternoon as originally planned.

Yesterday (Sun) KaimaiKid and I went up the Coromandel to look into accessing a Geodash point up there (GD5-30998), and to plant a couple of Caches. The guy at the DOC centre gave us some useful info re the dashpoint as it has no marked tracks within 1km, but alas as he didn't actually give accurate details we were unable to find the start of an old logging track he spoke of. I had intended to travel up Colorado stream and then deviate off the 300m or so to attempt the point as the bush was apparently regenerating and quite accessable. Trouble was, we couldn't find the Colorado stream where it crossed the road, so it must just be a trickle. Anyway after a couple of hours, we gave up on that idea and headed off to plant a couple of caches.

There is an old guy up there who practically lives in there, his campervan is there but alas he was off wandering in his usual manner, I will tap his knowledge, possibly on Wed night upon my return from Auckland. He will be able to give me accurate first hand knowledge of any track in the area. There is still hope, I want 1 dashpoint that was a challenge icon_smile.gif.

I hadn't been up the Coromandel late at night for years until last night. I didn't get away until about 10am (I had to wait for a certain shop to open, so I could purchase something I needed). So basically the whole day was a late start. I got the cache at Egans Flat in at about 4.30pm (Stoney aka KaimaiKid isn't allowed to watch, or find the cache until someone else does icon_wink.gif), we then shot through to Whitianga for some Kai and then through to Hahei to plant a cache at Cathedral Cove.

I didn't get the cache at Cathedral Cove in until about 7.30pm (same applies for Stoney), and went over to Cooks beach where I relaised I didn't have much petrol (Dooh icon_redface.gif) Trouble was, have you ever tried to buy petrol up there at night? Everything closes at about 7pm except in the height of the summer tourist season. Well I very sedately drove back to Hikuai and over 25a to Kopu and in to the 24hr gas station in Thames.

Interesting to observe we weren't the only vehicle in the same predicament, a number of us discussed the situation while waiting for service at the station in Thames. I had the gas gauge the lowest I've ever seen it in my little bomb car icon_frown.gif.

Anyway, despite that little embarrasing incident, and man it was close, with the car coughing breifly going up hill at one point nearer to Thames, it was a good day. More caches will follow in that area in due course, with a planned attempt at that Geodash point too. Certainly beats sitting on your bum at home icon_smile.gif.

much everything that this guy did to look for in a used car, and as a result I ended up with a pretty good car. I think Turners sell pretty good cars anyway but you should still be reasonably careful.

Back on topic again - sheesh - you still haven't cracked the MI matrix? icon_smile.gif

Steve

Guest tgsnoopy

Hey, I've only really started trying this morning, and it's not exactly easy from my point of view icon_wink.gif.

I do some pretty serious maths on a regular basis, but for some reason I just can't see the woods for the trees with this darn matrix. I must think differently to you guys (perhaps), well thats my excuse anyway!

I wonder if Team Hunter Gatherer ended up ringing you for asistance as well, I've tried not to, but geese, this base 10 base 26 issue was throwing me way off track, the answer to that query certainly wasn't one I had considered. I wonder if anyone has sorted it without assistance from a third party??

Reality though, since querying that base issue I haven't got back onto it yet, busy doin other stuff again (resting brain), ripping a VCR to bits thats been playing up and annoying me for ages. One good thing about being unemployed, I'm actually fixing some of my own electronic gear thats been in need of repairs for a while. You know the old saying, "A mechanics car is the last one to be repaired." The same is true of Technicians. Two VCR's, a TV, a Microwave, and a stereo all have had minor faults requiring attention for a while icon_smile.gif.

As for the daughter, I'm taking up a car load tommorrow, Her boyfriend will check out the body and chasis etc I'll look at the mechanical and electrics, we should hopefully be able to get her a decent one. I've actually never bought a bad car from Turners, I guess if you bought the cheaper cars you would probably strike them, but I think the others are checked out before the sale. I know you can pay for a thorough inspection in advance.

quote:
Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

Hey, I've only really started trying this morning, and it's not exactly easy from my point of view icon_wink.gif.

Yeah. As a confession, I did actually base it on a couple of Mission Impossible caches in the US. I suspect that people over there are more familiar with the matrix - perhaps they learn them in school or something.. I was as stumped as you guys - but I managed to work out their matrix based on the same information I've given you, that I got from the author of the US cache.

quote:
I wonder if Team Hunter Gatherer ended up ringing you for asistance as well,

Nope.. He doesn't have my phone number, just my email addy. He was able to work it out from the information in the clue Agent M left! icon_smile.gif

--- Begin totally offtopic section icon_smile.gif ---

quote:
ripping a VCR to bits thats been playing up and annoying me for ages. One good thing about being unemployed, I'm actually fixing some of my own electronic gear thats been in need of repairs

Funny you should say that - the company I worked for went into liquidation at the end of October and I lost my job.. The IT industry's pretty bad at the moment, barely any hiring companies and, putting the slump of the IT market and Sep 11 aside, most companies probably won't be hiring til after xmas. Nevermind, I've got my finances sorted and can easily survive til then - and am REALLY enjoying the time off icon_smile.gif Really trying to start our business pulling moolah in at the moment.. It's a bit hard concentrating in my home office with all the distrations around me.

quote:
The same is true of Technicians. Two VCR's, a TV, a Microwave, and a stereo all have had minor faults requiring attention for a while icon_smile.gif.

As you can tell I'm a computer geek. Most geeks have huge networks at home with lots of the latest PCs and software. Not me! I have a desktop I barely use (because it barely goes!) and a laptop I use all the time (it's got the modem in it, hehe)

quote:
I've actually never bought a bad car from Turners, I guess if you bought the cheaper cars you would probably strike them, but I think the others are checked out before the sale. I know you can pay for a thorough inspection in advance.

I haven't heard of anyone being ripped off buying a Turners 'quality car' - the fresh Jap imports seem okay usually. A couple of people I know bidded randomly on a car and got it and they still have no problems with them..

I certainly wouldn't pay for a thorough inspection of a car I wanted but wasn't necessesarily gonna buy through the auction! Seems absurd. When I got the Laurel we had gone to 3 auctions before I'd actually bought something - to see what sort of price ranges people were paying and see a more complete range of cars.. I remember the main problem with a few Jap import cars was opening the oil cap and seeing oil porridge underneath - stay away from that!

--- End totally offtopic section icon_smile.gif ---

Guest HunterGatherer

quote:

I wonder if anyone has sorted it without assistance from a third party??

Hello ? o.k i'll admit, i had my girlfriend working on the matrix with me... but she's 2.I.C of team HG so it's all good.

[This message has been edited by HunterGatherer (edited 21 November 2001).]

Guest tgsnoopy

Sorry Team HG if that came accross as I was trying to get at you. Not my intention! I was simply trying to express that it is difficult (or perhaps I should use the word challenging)!

I'm exceptionally busy at the moment. Not sure if I'll get a chance to do any tramping this weekend icon_frown.gif.

Hopefully everyone else is having a good weekend. It seems remarkably quiet in here at the moment (no postings for a couple of days), so hopefully everyone is out there doing it.

L8rz Neill icon_smile.gif

Guest rediguana

ont face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tgsnoopy:

It seems remarkably quiet... so hopefully everyone is out there doing it.

I wish. Last uni stuff for the year, just finishing up a report. Hoping to have it finished for printing and postage Monday. And then I've got a handful of dashpoints lined up - must requiring a bit more of a hike this time icon_smile.gif It's really frustrating after the drizzly weather we've had, and it's just starting to clear this avo! Must... resist... temptation... icon_wink.gif

Cheer Gav

Guest HunterGatherer

quote:

Sorry Team HG if that came accross as I was trying to get at you. Not my intention!

No sweat man... i knew what you meant... and i was just playin' icon_smile.gif