Northern Nevada

From reading the caches, it seems like a lot of the ones in this area are high up on a hill and require a lot of hiking and rock scrambling to get to. I guess it all depends on whether you want to leave it more for the hiking type, or make it more accessible for those who aren't quite as fit. I can only speak for myself, but with 2 young kids (who aren't real fond of hiking), I prefer ones that are under a mile hike, and easy terrain, at least until we get more seasoned.

Well, Renopanner:

The first thing to do is go out and find about 10 caches so you will have a benchmark for what people call easy or hard. You can also see which container works best, easy to hide,and will with stand the elements. (I have been to two caches in the last week that needed to be replaced because the containers failed, one was a cookie tin.It lasted several months but the winter took its toll and it became too hard to open. The other one was a glass jar I don't know what happened to it but it was broken when I found it, and the cache contents were in real bad shape)That way you will know what you like or dislike in a cache, and rather you want to make cachers really work for a cache or make it a driveby cache. You can also get a feel for your GPS and get comfortable with the way it works, So you can place the cache just the way you want it.

Tupperware like plactic seems to work ok and ammo boxes are very good.

Hope this helps. Now get out there and find something icon_biggrin.gif

Vitus Zebulon

If I can't find it...It ain't there!

Well, Renopanner:

The first thing to do is go out and find about 10 caches so you will have a benchmark for what people call easy or hard. You can also see which container works best, easy to hide,and will with stand the elements. (I have been to two caches in the last week that needed to be replaced because the containers failed, one was a cookie tin.It lasted several months but the winter took its toll and it became too hard to open. The other one was a glass jar I don't know what happened to it but it was broken when I found it, and the cache contents were in real bad shape)That way you will know what you like or dislike in a cache, and rather you want to make cachers really work for a cache or make it a driveby cache. You can also get a feel for your GPS and get comfortable with the way it works, So you can place the cache just the way you want it.

Tupperware like plactic seems to work ok and ammo boxes are very good.

Hope this helps. Now get out there and find something icon_biggrin.gif

Vitus Zebulon

Renopanner - have you used a gps before? I haven't, maybe Vitus Zebulon can take us both out sometime. Also, TMCC offers a 2-day course on learning GPS, you might want to look into that. We've found 2 geocaches so far, both without gps (mine is taking too long to arrive icon_mad.gif - bought on Ebay on May 21, tho they only mailed it too days ago) We've tried to find 3 others that I thought would be easy; they weren't, lol.

Renopanner - have you used a gps before? I haven't, maybe Vitus Zebulon can take us both out sometime. Also, TMCC offers a 2-day course on learning GPS, you might want to look into that. We've found 2 geocaches so far, both without gps (mine is taking too long to arrive icon_mad.gif - bought on Ebay on May 21, tho they only mailed it too days ago) We've tried to find 3 others that I thought would be easy; they weren't, lol.

Im planning on doing some caching next weekend if work permits. This will be my first outing. I would to hear from some of the Local Reno cachers as to which caches are good to learn on. I just reset my Magellan GPS and now im rearing to go.. Any input is welcomed.

thanks Renopanner.

ICQ 317804.

Well Here are some of my favorites in no perticular order

Hanging gardens at galena and

American beauty (you can hit both of these caches in one trip as one is close to the other)

Pagni canyon

Rock climbers delight

Craps dayton rock cache and

Gold canyon cache (again two caches close to each other)

little aleins survival cache and

goat girls cache (two more close to each other)

inspiration point and

cayboos cache (another pair)

Here are three kinda together

Spoonerlake stash

Spooners east and

captiam nemos lookout

riverside walk ministash

mustang ridge

dustdevil

ragtown and monitor the trees both virtual caches

Like I said I am not telling you one is better than the other, I liked them all you can go to some or all and decide which ones you like. some are very easy some are quite hard some are so easy that they are hard. Hope this helps

icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck icon_wink.gif and don't give up icon_confused.gif I think all these caches are still active I haven't heard otherwise. If you need anything else just ask icon_cool.gif

Zitus Zebulon icon_wink.gif

Well Here are some of my favorites in no perticular order

Hanging gardens at galena and

American beauty (you can hit both of these caches in one trip as one is close to the other)

Pagni canyon

Rock climbers delight

Craps dayton rock cache and

Gold canyon cache (again two caches close to each other)

little aleins survival cache and

goat girls cache (two more close to each other)

inspiration point and

cayboos cache (another pair)

Here are three kinda together

Spoonerlake stash

Spooners east and

captiam nemos lookout

riverside walk ministash

mustang ridge

dustdevil

ragtown and monitor the trees both virtual caches

Like I said I am not telling you one is better than the other, I liked them all you can go to some or all and decide which ones you like. some are very easy some are quite hard some are so easy that they are hard. Hope this helps

icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck icon_wink.gif and don't give up icon_confused.gif I think all these caches are still active I haven't heard otherwise. If you need anything else just ask icon_cool.gif

Zitus Zebulon icon_wink.gif

I just got involved in this "sport" and I live in Sparks (Spanish Springs area).

I found my first cache today, and also placed my first one. It's a 1.5/5.0 rating though, as it's waaaaaaaaaaay out near Pyramid Lake. Only people with ATVs, horses, or dirtbikes will get out to this one.

There are at least three others I'm planning on finding soon:

- Saddleback Claim

- Drygulcher Stash 1

- Tok Cone

I actually prefer the ones that I have to go out on my ATV to find. It gives me a good reason to find new places to ride.

If anybody else here does the ATV thing and wants to come along, please drop me a note!

Rob

I was going through my closet looking for my maps of the Reno area and found my Nevada Map Atlas . I knew I bought this book for some reason. It has very very detailed maps of the complete state of Nevada in it. So now when I get ready to seek a cache I will have to check the book to see if there are any alternate routes in and out. If anyone is interested in checking the Atlas out let me know and I will send a scanned copy of a page or two. If you want to buy one for yourself I got mine at the Nevada DOT office across from the DMV downtown Reno..

On another note: Stellartrinity is kicking my butt on finding all the caches..

Chris (Renopanner)

ICQ 317804.

Well, actually, end up doing them in evenings most of the time. But, you've got time to catch up, working full-time for a few weeks, haven't had free time lately. Also, my Geo-kid partner slid on a hill on our last geocache hunt, got 20+ stitches in his butt, and has been a little leery about getting back out on the trails. They just don't make kids like they used to. [icon_wink.gif]Just got our first cache hidden (pending approval)- easy 1/1 called Lazy Day.

Well, actually, end up doing them in evenings most of the time. But, you've got time to catch up, working full-time for a few weeks, haven't had free time lately. Also, my Geo-kid partner slid on a hill on our last geocache hunt, got 20+ stitches in his butt, and has been a little leery about getting back out on the trails. They just don't make kids like they used to. [:)]Just got our first cache hidden (pending approval)- easy 1/1 called Lazy Day.

As if his rear end wasn't cracked already.. I have been working mega overtime hours since the company I work for is extremly busy this time of year (Sherwin Williams).. So I haven't had much time to go caching. Sucks huh? I was hoping maybe all us Reno Cahers could get together and do a picnic sometime this summer? Would be a good way for everyone to get to know each other.. What do you think about this idea? I will have to try and find your cahce once it gets approved.. Time for bed..

Chris (Renopanner)

ICQ 317804.