New kid in town

Guest skyboy

First day with my new GPS (Magellan 310) icon_biggrin.gif

Hope to hook it up to a laptop in my truck soon. Any suggestions on mounting and software?

I need some help posting correct syntax ( so I dont look this stupid everyday).

How do I post?

37 degrees 6 minutes 25 second North

113 degrees 33 minutes and 37 seconds West

Looking forward to my first cache!

All the cache pages use this format:

hddd mm.mmm

I believe that is

h = hours

d = degrees

m = minutes

I can basically translate whatever you give me, but this way is the best.

Jeremy

Guest CaptainCurmudgeon

If you're on road, Street Atlas is pretty good, although I suspect that support for Garmin is a little better than support for Magellan.

They're all a kick. I had Street Atlas during a 5500 mile trip this spring and it pulled me out of a lot of nasty situations where I was just plain lost -- although following SA's routing suggestions was sometimes the reason I *was* lost.

Any moving map with a GPS is just incredible. You travel with confidence and that gives you the power to go places you might otherwise not.

I don't leave home without it.

Although I seem to have wandered off from this topic.

Guest CaptainCurmudgeon

quote:
Originally posted by skyboy:

Any suggestions on mounting and software?

Mounting. I got a Jotto Desk from Delorme. Nice, but I couldn't mount it to my truck floor (screws too short to get through the carpet). Takes up space (and there's not that much in a Ford Ranger to start with).

There's a public safety suplier that sells the Notepad III for $180. It's a mount that actually key-locks the laptop to it so that it would be hard to steal. It also has brackets to keep it in place should you do something to try to launch it. Their website is WWW.GALLS.COM, but I'm not sure if just anyone can actually buy from it or not, but you could try. I get the paper catalog still from when I was a volunteer firefighter, and all you need to order from it is the code off the back cover.

Hope I helped.

John

[This message has been edited by aero (edited 12-02-2000).]

While not as nice as a dedicated mount, makes me really appreciate my Suburban. The center console was wide enough to sit my laptop or other gear on. No extra mounts to install.

I've made a handful of trips with GPS.

The first was using a Magellan Trailblazer with external antenna (the Egg) where I just kept a written log of the lat and long.

The next few were based on the Delorme mapping software/GPS combo and a laptop. It was with this combo on a trip from PA to NE that it came in very handy. I was pulling a trailer and missed an exit. Thanks to the software I was able to zoom out, get a feel for the area, and pick an alternate route back to where I wanted to go. All in just a couple of minutes.

The last trip was with a Palm and with Delorme's GPS again, with the Palm software. Of every trip, this had to be the worst tool yet. The software takes your route and lets you d/l it to the Palm. Then the Palm software follows your path. You can't zoom in or out, you get no detail. As near as I can tell, the mapping on the Garmin GPS III+ I just got is superiour to the Palm/Delorme GPS combo.

The tools have come a long way in the 6+ years since I got the Trailblazer.