Another idea...maybe? (Spring Cleaning Cache Games)

Guest tslack2000

This sounds like an idea that should be implemented nationwide.

Most people will have initially found these caches in a different season, so a return trip could be quite pleasant.

Maybe a suggested list of things to bring for a repair kit would be in order.

The geocaching printout and a logbook seem obvious, but should people be expected to schlep another container?

Guest Cach-U-Nuts

Hey Slacker, I mean TSlack, this is an interesting idea. I would be glad to put something together on my web site to keep a leader board for who verifies the most caches. There's something about being number one that seems to appeal to people. We could come up with some rules. Something like: to get a point you must choose caches that have not been visited for 2 months (or some other time frame). Then the first person to either verify that the cache is there or verify that it is not there would get a point. We could maintain both a leader board and a list of caches that exist and that no longer exist. That shouldn't take too long to put together. You da man. BTW, I plan on hitting a lot of your caches come spring time. I'm not too excited about inner city caches any more.

Guest bunkerdave

You know I am all over this. if Craig does do something, I have little doubt that all the caches will be covered in no time at all. Anyone want to volunteer to check in on my "Signature Cache" on Mount Peale? icon_biggrin.gif How about "Royal Treasure" (Actually, I've got that one covered.) Not 'til August, though.

This would be a great way to do this.

Is there any thought as to what "maintenance" means? Do we need to replace bad containers, or just inform the owner if there is a problem? I would not be opposed to replacing a few containers, especially on the harder to reach caches.

Looking forward to seeing what Cach-u-nuts comes up with. Always interesting.

------------------

BunkerDave

N 40° 7.081, W 111° 38.851

Guest tslack2000

Allright! It looks like this is a go!

Here are some more thoughts on the matter.

When people go out to find these caches after a pre-determined start date, they will find the cache in one of three conditions: Good, needs repair, or missing. All cachers who visit a cache during the "cache games" will receive one point when they log into Cach-U-Nuts' website and report the cache. They will report the condition of the cache. If they are the first person to report on that cache they will receive an additional 10 points. If the condition was "in need of repair" and they took whatever steps were necessary to repair it they will receive 5 points. Due to the cost of repairing a cache (it could get expensive if one person were repairing many caches) it will not be required to repair the cache. As long as they report the cache and its condition, others will be given the opportunity to repair the cache for 5 points.

In the case of caches that are reported as "in need of repair" or "missing" the cache owner will be contacted and be given the opportunity to replace it. If the cache is still missing after a couple of weeks and we haven't received notification from the cache owner, the cache will be submitted to Jeremy for archiving.

So here are some questions that still need to be answered:

When is the start date?

Does the point system need to be tweaked? Is it fair? Does it promote participation?

How do we "advertise" in order to get all of Utah involved? Do we kick it off with an event cache to get the word out?

The ball is in your court now. Any other suggestions?

Very interesting idea. The folks around STL try to keep up on things best we can but i think a little incentive never hurts. Can we play?? When it's time for the game to start someone in STL (or anyone really) can announce it on "The Local News" to let all of Missouri know about it. **Glenn

Guest BlueDamsel

I'd be happy to check on caches that are near my place or on my way to work. I don't care about a leader board or anything like that. I'd just check up on them for the heck of it, because I've had so much fun finding them the first time around, you know?

I agree about it being fun to visit them in another season. I have several cache locations marked as favorites for a visit later on, anyway, to be able to see them when the green leaves are out. I bet they are very different!

After finding a couple of caches with very very full log books, I think the idea of taking small notepads, ziploc bags, etc. in your caching backpack is a good idea. I have already replaced the container for a traveling cache because the baggie that it was in was falling apart (I donated a little plastic container with a lid for it).

I just think it makes sense to leave them in better shape than you found them, if you want the sport to continue. If everybody did this, think how great the caches would eventually become!

Guest tslack2000

quote:
Originally posted by The_Door_Man:

I'm new. But would like to help.

You can still help!! Even if you haven't been to the caches before, you're more than welcome to start finding them when the game starts. The only problem will be if they aren't there. It will be hard for you to verify if they're REALLY not there, or if you just couldn't find them. But for the ones you DO find, that will verify for the community that the cache still exists and that no action needs to be taken. Unless of course the cache is in shambles. Then you can further contribute by helping to make the cache one that people would enjoy visiting again! Thanks in advance for your help!!

------------------

Tyler Slack's Geocaching in Utah

hey everyone,

after my long hiatus, i am recovered...i think and ready to start caching again, the walking/hiking will do me and my knee some good, so count me in on whatever caching stuff the utah gang puts together.

keep me posted!

Elwood

Guest Ramblin Rover

This is a great idea. Count me in. As for the point system, let me offer the following suggestion. Rather than awarding ten points for reporting condition and five points for repairing the cache, I recommend reversing the awards as repairing the cache requires more time and investment.

A starting date? Hmmm? Many caches in the lowlands and deserts will be safely out of the perils of winter by mid to late March. Most of those places in the highlands or along rivers could still be damaged by spring runoff or mudslides as late as may. Therefore, I suggest that this "game" begin April 16, (right after tax day and perhaps easy to remember) and run through July 16, (a full three months).

I think an event cache is a good way to kick it off. I have a very good location to hold it at if anyone is interested in doing it this way, please let me know via e-mail.--RR

I've been thinking a lot lately about what might happen to Geocaching if we don't somehow maintain the caches that have already been placed. There is nothing more frustrating than searching for a cache that should have been archived because it's not there anymore. With currently 634 caches in Utah with more than half buried under a foot of snow, we will no doubt have some "cache casualties" come spring. We need to take it upon ourselves to make sure that Utah remains an enjoyable place to cache. It would be wonderful if everyone would check on the status of their cache as soon as the snow melts, but we all know that's not going to happen. So here is one idea:

We could create a game that awards points for every cache the cacher checks on. That would give cachers an incentive to find caches that they have already found. They would also know where to look (seeing as how they have already found the cache once) and would be able to safely assess whether or not the cache is indeed missing. The missing cache information would be passed on to the cache owner, who would hopefully replace the cache. If the cache is not replaced, it could then be archived. We will be saving many a headache and making the sport more enjoyable for all.

What do you think? If anyone else is interested in a project like this I would love to help out. It's not a one man job, that's for sure. I've already proposed a list for Archived Caches in Utah and asked for some feedback on that here . I think the game would help us in collecting information about the caches in Utah. So far, nobody has responded. Do you think there is a need for this?

Maybe the point system could be set up to award more points to the cache owner for taking the initiative to maintain their own caches, too? We could set a "Spring Cleaning" time table and have an official end date? Any other ideas? Please don't leave me postless on this one. icon_frown.gif

(Craig, I'm looking to you for help on this one. Is this something you'd like to help out with?)

Tyler Slack's Geocaching in Utah