Louisiana geocaching

Guest ClayJar

Guest ClayJar

Oh, fun! I figured that as long as I was sitting around feeling rather happy as large quantities of nail enamel dry on my cache container, I might as well start a new topic for our Louisiana geocaching discussions.

The container that's been all enameled to death is one of those nice storage jars (the kind where the lid is hinged and has the latch that you flip down to seal it really tightly), and it has now been labelled and camoed and such for placement out in the field. It wasn't easy (especially enamelling over all the metal parts), but Loch Lock Locker (How's that for a name?) now has it's clay jar. Now I just need my little boat to go and place it (I have several potential spots lined up).

When is the magic vessel scheduled to arrive?

I'm getting kinda anxious about finding ClayJar's first (that I know of) official public cache after missing 'em all at LAGG-1 (!@$?@&%! 2D elevation mode!).

If you truly want to make it an "anti-alex" cache, put it somewhere where I can't get a big boat in there (no boat ramp) and relativley close by (like one of those university lakes in Baton Rouge). That oughta drive me nuts! I'm a pretty good swimmer though. icon_smile.gif

I'm hoping to hide my "over-the-water" and currently unnamed caches this weekend. I figure they're in for a long and lonely winter...

alex

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 01 November 2001).]

I'm getting kinda anxious about finding ClayJar's first (that I know of) official public cache after missing 'em all at LAGG-1 (!@$?@&%! 2D elevation mode!).

If you truly want to make it an "anti-alex" cache, put it somewhere where I can't get a big boat in there (no boat ramp) and relativley close by (like one of those university lakes in Baton Rouge). That oughta drive me nuts! I'm a pretty good swimmer though. icon_smile.gif

I'm hoping to hide my "over-the-water" and currently unnamed caches this weekend. I figure they're in for a long and lonely winter...

alex

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 01 November 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

Just found out for sure this morning! The non-nuclear wessel is "out for delivery" according to the latest tracking updates! Yipee!

quote:

You can rest assured that I'll do my best to find one of the best places possible around Lake Chicot. I've been studying the topo maps, and I've got several potential locations to scout out for the best site. I'm not sure if it'll end up being a terrain 5 or not, but I'm gonna try. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Hmmm... so if I can find a water-bound place with no room for a big boat and enough growth to prohibit access by swimming... I think I have just the spot, but I'll just hang on to it until an anti-ClayJar cache shows up. (You know, that whole "Mutually Assured Destruction" thing from the Cold War: if you plant an unfindable one, I'll have an unfindable one right there to plant, too.) ...maybe we do have too much time on our hands. icon_wink.gif

quote:

That almost sounded like something that could have possibly sounded somewhat like a challenge, but not really. I'm kinda looking forward to looking for the water-bound caches. Having to use a boat to get there should add flavor to my caching experiences; they won't just be simple "park and log" caches (which are nice, but I love a challenge).

Between GSOS, Camp Livingston (to place a travel bug for a Californian), and hiding Loch Lock Locker, I ought to have a nice day tomorrow. I think I'll try to talk my brother into coming along, but I seriously doubt he'll be up for it (he's one of those "Great Indoors" type of people). I have a feeling that I'll be sore from all that paddling tomorrow, but that'll give me something to talk about in the editorial section of ClayJar's Geocaching Logbook next week.

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

Just found out for sure this morning! The non-nuclear wessel is "out for delivery" according to the latest tracking updates! Yipee!

quote:

You can rest assured that I'll do my best to find one of the best places possible around Lake Chicot. I've been studying the topo maps, and I've got several potential locations to scout out for the best site. I'm not sure if it'll end up being a terrain 5 or not, but I'm gonna try. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Hmmm... so if I can find a water-bound place with no room for a big boat and enough growth to prohibit access by swimming... I think I have just the spot, but I'll just hang on to it until an anti-ClayJar cache shows up. (You know, that whole "Mutually Assured Destruction" thing from the Cold War: if you plant an unfindable one, I'll have an unfindable one right there to plant, too.) ...maybe we do have too much time on our hands. icon_wink.gif

quote:

That almost sounded like something that could have possibly sounded somewhat like a challenge, but not really. I'm kinda looking forward to looking for the water-bound caches. Having to use a boat to get there should add flavor to my caching experiences; they won't just be simple "park and log" caches (which are nice, but I love a challenge).

Between GSOS, Camp Livingston (to place a travel bug for a Californian), and hiding Loch Lock Locker, I ought to have a nice day tomorrow. I think I'll try to talk my brother into coming along, but I seriously doubt he'll be up for it (he's one of those "Great Indoors" type of people). I have a feeling that I'll be sore from all that paddling tomorrow, but that'll give me something to talk about in the editorial section of ClayJar's Geocaching Logbook next week.

Since this topic seems to be centering on boats and water....

I just read the logs on Seal Team.

It seems to me like everyone is taking the long way around (put in at the spillway?, 21 mile journey? 42 miles in a borrowed boat?

Since I'll probably end up hauling my boat a couple of hundred miles down there just to get to it... Is there something wrong with the Tchefuncta these days (dried up?)? Doesn't Fairview Riverside state park have a boat ramp?

Thanks!

alex

Guest ClayJar

I think it's just that they're all from "down there". I'm still waiting on the skegs to give my little canoey thing a bit better directional stability (that's the problem with 38lb boats; they have no grip on the water without a little help). The pictures made it look like there was plenty of water to go around, unlike, say, North Toledo Bend or Lake Chicot. (What is it with this year and drawing down the water levels all over the place?)

get to it... Is there something wrong with the Tchefuncta these days (dried up?)? Doesn't Fairview Riverside state park have a boat ramp?

Thanks!

alex

If you're coming from Lafayette, Fairview Riverside would be a great place to launch your boat and spend the day on the river. There is a launch right at the mouth of the river (where we put-in the canoe), but with a motor it would be a 5 minute trip.

Russell

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

(What is it with this year and drawing down the water levels all over the place?)

I guess if you're going to drain a lake for any reason, the 'off season' (winter) is the time to do it. I'm still wondering if they're going to do the upper Atchafalaya basin this year or not (original anti-clayjar cache area). They did it last year to kill off a good portion of the water hyacinth and hydrilla. What they ended up with was less water vegetation, and more seedling trees growing in the water when they filled it back up. So then they sprayed the trees and probably screwed up the wildlife beyond repair. Now that's what I call resource management!

alex

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

If you're coming from Lafayette, Fairview Riverside would be a great place to launch your boat and spend the day on the river.

That's what I was looking for. I thought that there may be something about the area that was not readily evident that would make that impossible. Now I just need to find the time to get back around new orleans a pick up on all those caches I've been missing out on! icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

If you're coming from Lafayette, Fairview Riverside would be a great place to launch your boat and spend the day on the river.

That's what I was looking for. I thought that there may be something about the area that was not readily evident that would make that impossible. Now I just need to find the time to get back around new orleans a pick up on all those caches I've been missing out on! icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

THe Kingdom Kids Cache -- located in Baton Rouge, LA -- will be featured on WBRZ channel 9 morning news on Thursday, November 15 at 6:00 am. If you left your picture on the disposable camera, you will probably see yourself on TV!

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by neesa:

The Kingdom Kids Cache -- located in Baton Rouge, LA -- will be featured on WBRZ channel 9 morning news on Thursday, November 15 at 6:00 am.

Um, was that WBRZ channel 2 or WAFB channel 9? I guess if I don't hear back, I'll just tape both. icon_smile.gif

quote:
If you left your picture on the disposable camera, you will probably see yourself on TV!

On the other hand, maybe I won't tape it. icon_wink.gif

(The guy in the blue poncho at the very beginning of the roll of film is an imposter. It's not really me. I just pretend to look that way. I mean, um, ah forget it. It's ClayJar.)

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by neesa:

The Kingdom Kids Cache -- located in Baton Rouge, LA -- will be featured on WBRZ channel 9 morning news on Thursday, November 15 at 6:00 am.

Um, was that WBRZ channel 2 or WAFB channel 9? I guess if I don't hear back, I'll just tape both. icon_smile.gif

quote:
If you left your picture on the disposable camera, you will probably see yourself on TV!

On the other hand, maybe I won't tape it. icon_wink.gif

(The guy in the blue poncho at the very beginning of the roll of film is an imposter. It's not really me. I just pretend to look that way. I mean, um, ah forget it. It's ClayJar.)

I think ClayJar just received the official "Louisiana Geo-Nut" badge. icon_smile.gif

Loch Lock Locker

He's the only person I know of who hiked 2-3 miles to hide a cache and another 21.5 to find it again. icon_smile.gif

But I'm really wondering... Was that all in one "day" or was there a campsite involved? I'm guessing that's a 7-8 hour hike...

Enquiring minds wanna know...

I think ClayJar just received the official "Louisiana Geo-Nut" badge. icon_smile.gif

Loch Lock Locker

He's the only person I know of who hiked 2-3 miles to hide a cache and another 21.5 to find it again. icon_smile.gif

But I'm really wondering... Was that all in one "day" or was there a campsite involved? I'm guessing that's a 7-8 hour hike...

Enquiring minds wanna know...

Guest ClayJar

The hike took just under seven (7) hours. I started around a quarter to eight, and I was on the road again at 3:00. While I'm still a bit stiff-legged if I sit for too long, I'm not in agony or anything. icon_biggrin.gif

(I asked a few of the most outdoorsy people I know if they would have liked to go hiking yesterday... they all said yes up through about 5 miles, but they all agreed I was crazy to do a 21.5 mile hike as a day trip.)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 18 November 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

The hike took just under seven (7) hours. I started around a quarter to eight, and I was on the road again at 3:00. While I'm still a bit stiff-legged if I sit for too long, I'm not in agony or anything. icon_biggrin.gif

(I asked a few of the most outdoorsy people I know if they would have liked to go hiking yesterday... they all said yes up through about 5 miles, but they all agreed I was crazy to do a 21.5 mile hike as a day trip.)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 18 November 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

Hehe. First it was Loch Lock Locker, and now, coming early this Saturday, it's a */5 island cache up the Mississippi River from me. Let me be the first to tell you, Ferengi Wormhole is going be be pretty nice, if it all works out.

"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?id=10968" TARGET=_blank>Keychain Cache

Nooner

Ferengi Wormhole

I hate to say it, but I'm sorta glad GSOS got archived. That one's been bugging me to go back and find it since I searched for it on opening day. Now that it's archived, I can tell myself that it wasn't there to begin with, and doesn't count as the *one* cache that beat me. icon_smile.gif There is once again peace in my private little twisted world.

alexm

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 02 December 2001).]

"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?id=10968" TARGET=_blank>Keychain Cache

Nooner

Ferengi Wormhole

I hate to say it, but I'm sorta glad GSOS got archived. That one's been bugging me to go back and find it since I searched for it on opening day. Now that it's archived, I can tell myself that it wasn't there to begin with, and doesn't count as the *one* cache that beat me. icon_smile.gif There is once again peace in my private little twisted world.

alexm

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 02 December 2001).]

quote:

Aw, nobody's gone after Wormhole yet. icon_wink.gif (I don't think this'll be the weekend for me to go after Seal, either, judging by the weather.)

Strangely enough, in researching the island a bit... It apparently used to be called Prophet Island, at least back in the early 1800s. It is (was?) also for sale for five million dollars.

Weather and christmas spirit permitting, it will fall soon. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Aw, nobody's gone after Wormhole yet. icon_wink.gif (I don't think this'll be the weekend for me to go after Seal, either, judging by the weather.)

Strangely enough, in researching the island a bit... It apparently used to be called Prophet Island, at least back in the early 1800s. It is (was?) also for sale for five million dollars.

Weather and christmas spirit permitting, it will fall soon. icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

I say we have all the geocachers around the world all send in a few bucks and get it named the official Geocaching Headquarters. Then we have all our International Geocaching Picnics and stuff there. Not only that, but we can put up "Posted: No Hunting" signs around the entire island, right under the "No admittance without GPS" signs. Of course, only one GPS receiver necessary per group.

Somehow I don't think we'll have any takers, but I'd be willing to pony up a grand to a Geocaching, Inc. non-profit. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest ClayJar

I say we have all the geocachers around the world all send in a few bucks and get it named the official Geocaching Headquarters. Then we have all our International Geocaching Picnics and stuff there. Not only that, but we can put up "Posted: No Hunting" signs around the entire island, right under the "No admittance without GPS" signs. Of course, only one GPS receiver necessary per group.

Somehow I don't think we'll have any takers, but I'd be willing to pony up a grand to a Geocaching, Inc. non-profit. icon_biggrin.gif