More map types in new map

schafili

Seriously, why are there not the same map types available at the "new" map, as in the "old" map? Filtering is good, but the map type "Geocaching" is really bad and Google is not that much better and probably costs you money if I use it. I want the OSM Maps!

Integrate them as you have in the main "Browse Map". PLEASE!

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

I think the main reason why there aren't any more map options on the new/Search map is that it uses a different type of map technology. The old/Browse map uses raster maps, where each map is composed of a bunch of pre-generated images. The new/Search map uses vector maps, where the data that represents the different features on the map is rendered into a visible map on-the-fly. Many of the maps that we're used to on the old/Browse map are only available as raster maps, and therefore can't be used on the new/Search map. The providers of some of the OSM-based maps are starting to look into making vector maps, but that process takes time because things need to be built from scratch.

If there are any maps that you'd like to see on the new/Search map, we can help HQ by trying to see if there's a vector version of that map, or another vector map that's close enough to fill the purpose. They can then look at adding that vector map as an option.