Telescopes

Quantum Mechanic

I don't know of anyplace in the Beaverton/Hillsboro area - not that they don't exist rather I just don't know. However, if you get the opportunity to spend the night at Crater Lake - that has to be the best viewing opportunity in Oregon!!! I highly reccomend staying at the Crater Lake lodge and viewing from the edge of the Crater within walking distance of the lodge. My wife and I were there last year and it was almost as if you could just reach up and touch the stars. It was clear and a bit on the cold side - so go prepared.

--- hcook1

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said,

... but they will always remember how you made them feel.

You might consider Bald Peak. Not sure if you can get a complete view of the sky, it's been awhile since I've been up there. But there is an open grassy area. Otherwise I might recommend Larch Mt. over here on the east side.

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

There aren't any. icon_frown.gif

Bald Peak closes at night, and has a wonderful view of the tualatin valley lights. Lots of trees to the south which make it difficult to observe many interesting things.

I took a photo of a nova (a star, not a car) out Rood Bridge road many many years ago. Rood Bridge park would also be a good spot, if it didn't close at night also... A quiet road between farms would be a good bet.

I've never actually been to Larch mountain; it is a long way from Hillsboro. I've heard that it gets a lot of traffic from other, non-astronomical visitors. I've also heard that it is the best spot close to portland. Rooster Rock is OK, but doesn't have a good horizon.

I had a spot west of Yamhill that I used a couple of times, until the road was washed out, and as far as I know, has never been repaired. Last time I was out there, was for comet Hyakutake. That was actually a more interesting story involving a disabled car (mine) miles from the nearest phone in the middle of the night. Went to Ape Cave for comet Hale-Bopp.

I had actually brought a couple of small scopes to Champoeg, but Friday night wasn't any good, and Saturday night I was too pooped.

You're welcome to set up your scope in my backyard. I'd even break out my big scope. It is far from ideal, but you'd be able to see Mars, at least... icon_rolleyes.gif

hept-hole.gif