Any Caches in Alaska?

Bakahead

I'm planning on taking a cruise to Alaska and the ship visits several ports and I was wondering if anyone knows of any caches that are near to the port? The ship stops in these ports, Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan. So I was hoping that I can visit a few caches that are very close..I don't want to get stranded in Alaska while my ship sails to the sunset..hehe. Also if none are nearby what is recommend container for Alaska? The reason I ask is I don't think I'll be able to bring aboard a ammo box especially since my luggage will be full with clothes etc so I thought maybe hide my own near a port that way other Geocachers can stop by and visit it too.. How well will a Tupperware container hold up to the winters in Alaska or Alaska in general?

Please let me know

Thanks..Mike

Howdy,

I just moved from Juneau to Idaho. There are several I know of around town, but a few may require you to catch a ride or bike to the area. A rough Lat/Long of were your ship will dock is N58.295 W134.397

If you take a tour out the the Mendenhall Glacier there are a couple there. Rough Lat/Long for the glaciers Visitor Center is N58.415 W134.542

Check out the main geocaching homepage and enter 99801 for a zip, or select Alaska and zoom down to Juneau.

Southeast is pretty wet with heavy winter snow, so if you are planning on leaving a cache, a good waterproof container and putting each item in a zip-lock would help... icon_cool.gif

Let someone on the ship know where you are going: Many tourists spend long cold nights outside by getting lost! Around the glacier this time of year there is a lot of bear activity as well as there are salmon streams in the area. Not to scare you off, just be aware of your surroundings.

Good luck and have fun! icon_biggrin.gif

XplorR

Howdy,

I just moved from Juneau to Idaho. There are several I know of around town, but a few may require you to catch a ride or bike to the area. A rough Lat/Long of were your ship will dock is N58.295 W134.397

If you take a tour out the the Mendenhall Glacier there are a couple there. Rough Lat/Long for the glaciers Visitor Center is N58.415 W134.542

Check out the main geocaching homepage and enter 99801 for a zip, or select Alaska and zoom down to Juneau.

Southeast is pretty wet with heavy winter snow, so if you are planning on leaving a cache, a good waterproof container and putting each item in a zip-lock would help... icon_cool.gif

Let someone on the ship know where you are going: Many tourists spend long cold nights outside by getting lost! Around the glacier this time of year there is a lot of bear activity as well as there are salmon streams in the area. Not to scare you off, just be aware of your surroundings.

Good luck and have fun! icon_biggrin.gif

XplorR

Originally posted by XplorR:

Hello there! Thanks for the post!! I was getting a bit worried that there might not be any near by, BTW how far from the ship are they ...roughly? I might have to take a taxi..LOL!! Bears.. icon_redface.gif well I knew about the bears since it is salmon season (isn't it??) and since from what I see on Discovery channel there are alot of bears up there..I figured I'd have to be careful anyways hehe! I'm not sure if I'll have time to do a cache but was hoping. Hmm..have you seen any one use Tupperware containers up in Alaska that have lasted? I don't plan on putting any food inside so was just wondering if from the cold and heat will it hold up. Since I'm going on a plane weight and space in my bags is a concern, plus I'd hate to explain to any of the security people why I'm carrying a .30 caliber ammo can..they'll be like "Security #1 says to #2 Psst..hey we got one here.." Security #2 "Got one what?" #1 "Terrorist!!" #2 "Oh..then you hear that unmistakable sound of a weapon clicking off safety [CLICK] icon_eek.gif

~Bakahead

San Diego

Originally posted by XplorR:

Hello there! Thanks for the post!! I was getting a bit worried that there might not be any near by, BTW how far from the ship are they ...roughly? I might have to take a taxi..LOL!! Bears.. icon_redface.gif well I knew about the bears since it is salmon season (isn't it??) and since from what I see on Discovery channel there are alot of bears up there..I figured I'd have to be careful anyways hehe! I'm not sure if I'll have time to do a cache but was hoping. Hmm..have you seen any one use Tupperware containers up in Alaska that have lasted? I don't plan on putting any food inside so was just wondering if from the cold and heat will it hold up. Since I'm going on a plane weight and space in my bags is a concern, plus I'd hate to explain to any of the security people why I'm carrying a .30 caliber ammo can..they'll be like "Security #1 says to #2 Psst..hey we got one here.." Security #2 "Got one what?" #1 "Terrorist!!" #2 "Oh..then you hear that unmistakable sound of a weapon clicking off safety [CLICK] icon_eek.gif

~Bakahead

San Diego

In my humble opinion the Tupperware would be better than the ammo can, especially since you will not be there to maintain it. Another idea I have seen is a plastic 1gal thermos container. Smart idea you had about no food! Yes it is salmon spawning season... icon_biggrin.gif

The ships dock downtown and it is about 13 miles to the glacier. There are plenty of bus tours that will take you there. They will offer you a ton of tours once you are on the ship, if they haven't already icon_wink.gif

I see one cache that you could get too easily from downtown and two if you get out to the glacier:

From downtown check out

Perseverance One by smc62

From the Glacier check out:

Glacier View by Margo2

Mendenhall Treasure Trove by McNair Family

Good luck and hope you have a blast. Drop me a line at gary@ctcweb.net and let me know how your tip was. Let me know if I can help with any more questions!

XplorR icon_cool.gif

In my humble opinion the Tupperware would be better than the ammo can, especially since you will not be there to maintain it. Another idea I have seen is a plastic 1gal thermos container. Smart idea you had about no food! Yes it is salmon spawning season... icon_biggrin.gif

The ships dock downtown and it is about 13 miles to the glacier. There are plenty of bus tours that will take you there. They will offer you a ton of tours once you are on the ship, if they haven't already icon_wink.gif

I see one cache that you could get too easily from downtown and two if you get out to the glacier:

From downtown check out

Perseverance One by smc62

From the Glacier check out:

Glacier View by Margo2

Mendenhall Treasure Trove by McNair Family

Good luck and hope you have a blast. Drop me a line at gary@ctcweb.net and let me know how your tip was. Let me know if I can help with any more questions!

XplorR icon_cool.gif

You should definitely try to find some caches in Alaska, but be careful of wildlife (i.e. BEARS). We were in AK recently and we left a cache that is a one-time-only cache (it's in a place where not many people go, so we want the person who finds it to remove it permanently). The cache is just a travel bug in a Nalgene/Lexan bottle. The bottle is a gift for the finder, and will hold up well in extreme weather. We hope the travel bug will find its way home to us. We thought a one-time-only cache would be good since we wouldn't be around to maintain it. Have fun in AK!