GPX files

Teardrop331

Hi

I'm new to all this so please excuse me if this is too simple of a question.

I now have a Garmin Etrex 20 GPS device.

When I go in to select Geocaching I get a message saying there are no maps loaded.

So, Where are these files located and do I just down load them to the maps folder on the GPS device?

Thanks in advance

Don

Hi Don,

welcome and no worries - usually the questions are less silly than some answers :)

On a Garmin GPS device you need to distinguish between maps (*.img) and cache description (*.gpx) files.

The maps (e.g. via Open Street Map or a pre-tailored one like on openstreetmap.nl, or an 'official' Garmin commercial map) go into the folder \GARMIN either on the device or on an SD card that can be put into that device as additional storage - I have to admit that I don't know if the Etrex 20 accepts SD cards tough.

GPX or LOC files with cache descriptions (e.g. via the Garmin Communicator plugin in a browser) go to the folder \GARMIN\GPX, so 1 step down in the folder order on the Garmin device.

Maps not located in \GARMIN\ and cache description not located in \GARMIN\GPX\ are simply ignored/not found by the device.

Hope this clarifies a bit, it's basically comparably simple though a bit confusing at first sight.

Happy caching

Michael