Feasibility of Wherigo Rallye?

niraD

I've been discussing the possibility of a phone-based version of a gimmick car rallye (see link in my signature) with a non-geocaching rallyist. My idea was to use Wherigo as a platform for this, since free Wherigo apps exist for both iPhones and Android phones.

I've played a few Wherigo cartridges, but I've never tried to write one. However, it seems to me that Wherigo might work for this application if the smartphone apps can handle a cartridge with a few dozen zones. I've seen posts that indicate much lower limits for the number of zones the GPSr Wherigo players can handle, but what about the smartphone Wherigo players? Can they handle cartridges with a few dozen zones?

Also, for scoring purposes, it would be helpful (but not mandatory) if at the end of the rallye, the app could somehow report the answers entered at each zone, or the specific zones encountered. Can the smartphone Wherigo apps do this? Or would I be better off using some other method for scoring the rallye?

I had a Bingo style Wherigo in Santa Cruz for awhile, which had 30+ zones, so I don't think you'll run into a problem with a few dozen (depending on how you define "few"). That was on the Garmin platform, and my experience tells me that the smartphone apps are much more forgiving. Scoring shouldn't be an issue, just a little extra time in coding. Others with more experience should be able to give you a more learned reply :)

Sounds fun. Good luck!

The smartphones are more stable these days. I haven't established a good benchmark for an ideal maximum number of active zones yet. I do know the emulator and WF.Player can easily and quickly create a little over 200 active zones in very short order (1-3 seconds). It's in dealing with zone states and calculating the player's position relative to the zones that you have to be concerned about. If you want 36 zones active at one time on a cell phone, I think most should be able to handle it.

I'll talk more in a week or two in another post about ridiculous numbers of active zones. I have a cartridge that's a crazy fun stress test to play of the current system (WGV6).