Setting up Windows 10 for Garmin 450

4evrCking

After many searches I have finally been able to get my Garmin to work with Windows 10. This is a step by step procedure of how I had to set up Windows 10 to do to get the Garmin to work with it. My Garmin is a 450.

My following post will tell how to get the Caches to retrieve the Caches and load them to the Garmin.

If you fiind this helpful, or have any suggested changes to the post, please let me know.

Cache4Fun,

4evrCking

==================

SETTING UP WINDOWS 10 TO WORK WITH GARMIN 450

The GEOCACHING.COM web site will NOT download to the Garmin GPS with Microsoft EDGE (which is the default browser for Windows 10).

You must use INTERNET EXPLORER which comes with Windows 10 – you may want to put INTERNET EXPLORER on your opening screen.

First you must set the SECURITY SETTINGS to allow access to the Garmin GPS – to do this:

1.Open INTERNET EXPLORER (not Edge)

2.Type in INTERNET OPTIONS in the search area of Windows 10. When the search results come up, select INTERNET OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL (top item).

3.Next select the SECURITY TAB

4.Then set the SECURITY LEVEL FOR THIS ZONE to MEDIUM HIGH

5.Then disable ENABLE PROTECTION MODE (remove the check mark in the box)

Second, you must allow access to the GARMIN COMMUNICATOR PLUG IN and XML DOM – to do this:

(NOTE: You may have to download the files, if you do, go to where Caches are normally downloaded to the GPS and select the GARMIN COMMUNICATOR PLUG IN - this will download the files you need.)

1.After you have the above files, go to the INTERNET EXPLORER SEARCH are and type in MANAGE ADD-ONS. When the search results come up, select MANAGE BROWSER ADD-ONS CONTROL PANEL (top item).

2.Next select MANAGE ADD-ONS (a box about 1/2 way down page)

3.ALL ADD-ONS should be in the SHOW box, if not select it and wait a few seconds while it searches for the ADD-ONS.

4.Look under the NAME field and select GARMIN COMMUNICATOR PLUG IN.

5.The PLUG IN should be enabled, if not enable it.

6.Look under the NAME field again for the Microsoft XML DOM Document and select it.

7.This PLUG IN should be enabled as well, if not enable it.

8.When both of the PLUG INS are enabled, click on OK at the bottom of the screen.

NOTE: If you do not have the PLUG INS showing in the MANAGE ADD ONS, you may have to go back to the GEOCACHING.COM site, select a cache, go to the GPS download and install the GARMIN COMMUNICATOR PLUG IN from there.

The next full post will tell how to put the caches on the Garmin.

Edited by 4evrCking

TO LOAD CACHES TO GARMIN FROM WINDOWS 10 LAPTOP

1.Turn on laptop by holding down “ON” button for two seconds.

2.For wireless mouse: When the laptop turns on, hold down both mouse buttons and move it around until the pointer moves on the screen.

3.Next scroll the screen to enter password.

4.Enter password

5.Click on Windows symbol (bottom left corner)

6.Click on INTERNET EXPLORER, this comes with Windows 10. (NOT Windows EDGE)

7.When INTERNET EXPLORER comes up, search for GEOCACHING in the search field (or click on GEOCACHING if it is shown on screen).

8.When the search results come up, click on GEOCACHING

9.Use as normal.

10.When you click to EXIT, a window will pop up, select CLOSE ALL TABS when this happens.

TO TURN OFF LAPTOP

1.Click on Windows symbol (bottom left corner)

2.Click on POWER

3.Click on SHUT DOWN

TO DELETE CACHES ON THE GARMIN GPS

NOTE: Before you do this, you will need to get the GPX file identifier number – it will start with GC and will be at the top of the screen when you select GPX FILE or SEND TO GPS.

1.Turn on the laptop and sign in – stay on the opening screen.

2.Plug in the GPS to the laptop.

3.Click in the file folder at the bottom (middle of page)

4.The FILE EXPLORER screen will come up.

5.On the left side of the screen, click on GARMIN D: (if it is not showing, scroll down till it shows)

6.In the middle screen double click on GPX.

7.This will show all the cache identifiers (numbers)

8.Select and delete the ones you want to delete with the right mouse button.

9.To close the FILE EXPLORER click on the “X” at the top of the screen.

TO TURN OFF LAPTOP

Same instructions as middle of page.

===============

If you find any mistakes or something that needs to be changed, please let me know. Also, if you found this helpful, please let me know.

Cache4Fun,

4ecrCking

Edited by 4evrCking

I am not sure the top part actaully tells you how to download caches from windows 10 to your GPS but... (you may also want to remove your laptop's password from the thread)

I found the only way I could download caches to my Garmin (I have windows 10) was to use Firefox, add gsrmin and geocashing.com as trusted sites and ignore all the warning messages about not supported, not compatible etc. It works perfectly on that one. Chrome, Edge and Internet Explorer refused to play and just told me the plug in was no longer supported on my version of chrome/edge-internet explorer.

I have only had the GPS a few days and I am still playing around with it so there may well be other ways that I dont know about

I am not sure the top part actaully tells you how to download caches from windows 10 to your GPS but... (you may also want to remove your laptop's password from the thread)

I found the only way I could download caches to my Garmin (I have windows 10) was to use Firefox, add gsrmin and geocashing.com as trusted sites and ignore all the warning messages about not supported, not compatible etc. It works perfectly on that one. Chrome, Edge and Internet Explorer refused to play and just told me the plug in was no longer supported on my version of chrome/edge-internet explorer.

=====================

I have only had the GPS a few days and I am still playing around with it so there may well be other ways that I dont know about

Thank you for getting back to me and your suggestion.

The first post is only for setting up Windows 10 to work with the Garmin. The next post described the downloading of the Caches to the Garmin.

I did remove the password, the original instructions were for my wife - thanks for letting me know.

Cache4Fun,

4everCking

Edited by 4evrCking