Problem eTrex 20 tracks manager "Save Portion"

robryb

I have a Garmin eTrex 20 and I just discovered the "Save Portion" feature in the track manager. I used the gpsr all day yesterday and today to create some portions. I was driving in my car, walking, and jogging. It's Saturday morning and I thought I would try some slicing and dicing of data.

I followed the prompts and picked a "begin portion" and "end portion". I tried a few different time spans. Then I plugged the USB cable in so I could view the data in BaseCamp. I expected each of my saved tracks to start from the "begin" portion and end with the "end" portion. However, each saved tack contains the entire set of track, from yesterday morning until my last run this morning. To put it another way, it didn't save a subset of portions. It save the entire track multiple times to different file names.

I also verified the problem on the gpsr. Same problem.

Has anyone had success with this feature? Did you verify that the output track that you saved contained only the portions that you indicated while saving the track portions? What steps did you take? I might have messed up the workflow or skipped a step at the end.

I should point out that the software on my gpsr is up to date with version 4.3 as of several weeks ago. I checked it again a moment ago via BaseCamp to verify that I was on the latest release.

Thanks,

RobRyb

Thanks, EScout. That is the way it's supposed to worked. I tried to make it clear that I do have segments in my current track. The problem is that when I save a "beginning segment" and an "ending segment", ALL segments are nonetheless saved in the resulting track. We both know that it should have saved only from the selected beginning to the end segments, with all segments between those two endpoints.

May I ask: have you verified that your gpsr saves the new track the way it should? I created a few output tracks thinking that they contained only those segments that I wanted. It wasn't until I opened one (and later, all) in BaseCamp that I realized that each "portions" track actually contained ALL segments.

I've owned both the eTrex 30 and 64s. They both have the Save Portion feature but I've never used it. What I do when I want to save separate tracks is this:

Select Current Track/Clear Track.

Continue hiking until I get to the end point.

Select Current Track/Save Track.

Answer 'yes' when it asks to clear track and data.

When I'm at the place where I want to start a new track, go to the first step and repeat.

When I'm back at the computer, each separate track shows up in the list and only contains the appropriate sections.

Update: The "Save Portion" bug saves from the first segment in the "Current Track" to the segment that I choose as my "Last Track Segment". It doesn't matter which segment I choose as my "First Track Segment". What do I mean by that?

Suppose I have four segments in my current track, A B C D. If I tell the eTrex 20 to save only segment B, it will save A B. If I tell it to save B C, It will save A B C. If I tell it to save only segment C, it will again save A B C. If I tell it to save from B to D, it will save A B C D. So, it ignores my selection of "First Track Segment" but processes my "Last Track Segment".

My guess is that this feature works on a later model gpsr, but they don't bother to test older models like my eTrex 20. Too bad they don't test for every model they sell.

Regards,

Rob