No new posts!?!

Guest crusso

Come on guys! There have been no posts to this thread since Dec 8! Surely (Don't call me Shirley...) we have something to talk about with this spring weather we've been having! (Oh no, not another "How's the weather discussion"). But seriously... Anyone out there doing anything interesting? I'm working on a Huge cache right now, trying to find someplace to hide it. Might make it a two parter. Find the first cache (mini) clues to the second one, etc. I would also like to put together a meet & great over this winter. Hope I get some interest!

Guest geospotter

You're right. Things are kind of slow. Went out today on a two-parter. Found the first part, but I think snow was covering the second. So, I'll wait until spring. Watch for my Mensa Cache then. Four mini's and a final cache. The meet and greet sounds like fun. Let us know.

Guest mikechim

Well I'm working on a rather large multicache with a difficulty of 5. I hoped to place it on the 19th of December but I'm behind schedule. I've got all the points picked out, its just a matter of setting it up and printing out the necessary info. That's about it. Hopefully the WEATHER (there's the weather talk for ya) will hold out. So someone will actually come to it.

------------------

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

Cool, Now let's keep the discussion active. I know this is a 'Group' forum but since it's kinda slow..... Any other news out there? I scoped some points for my multi... Got my olive containers, built my walking stick from PVC (came out so cool & under $10 including the combo compass/grip/strap I purchsed). Gonna place the multi in the next couple weeks.

Crusso

IMF16@aol.com

quote:
Originally posted by crusso:

built my walking stick from PVC (came out so cool & under $10 including the combo compass/grip/strap I purchsed)

How about a little more infor on this walking stick? Sounds like a nice little project.

Hi there,

It has been pretty quiet in my neck of the woods lately but I hope to be able to rectify that soon. The holidays have had me going nuts...have to make it through New Years yet... have a wedding to go to on New Years Day and company coming for the weekend, then hopefully if the weather just holds out maybe I'll get back to some serious caching.

I've got a few planned out in my head, have permissions and all the works for reg and microsize.. it's just the lack of time to get out there and explore. Someday Dutchess county will wake up to geocaching and when they do I want to try to keep them interested.

I'm a new walking stick user too... let ya know how I like it once I get the opportunity to bring it on a test run... going to The Garden tomorrow to see A Christmas Carol.. I think I'll stand out a bit too much with my walking stick in Manhattan.

The meet sounds great... keep us posted.

Ttepee

quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbait:

Check it out.

http://www.mhcable.com/~yocraft/hiking/

Wow Buzzbait you sure do make a good sell on a stick!... I went mostly unimaginitavely right now and have a store bought hiking staff....but I love the character of your sticks. I have to see what kind of a role they take in my hiking... for the most part in the past I've found them something else to lug around but I think of them alot more utilitarian like nowadays. Mine can have the camera screwed uptop.. I just got an Olympus C700 with a 10X zoom and I want to make sure I get those shots.

Hey btw if your looking for a nice easy one to start with not too far from you there is our Rubber Legs across the river. It's definitely a 1/1... with Vromans Nose not too far from it that offers spectacular views... little tougher but if you are up for a moderate incline the rewards are many.

Welcome to the game icon_smile.gif

Ttepee

quote:

Check it out.

http://www.mhcable.com/~yocraft/hiking/

Wow Buzzbait you sure do make a good sell on a stick!... I went mostly unimaginitavely right now and have a store bought hiking staff....but I love the character of your sticks. I have to see what kind of a role they take in my hiking... for the most part in the past I've found them something else to lug around but I think of them alot more utilitarian like nowadays. Mine can have the camera screwed uptop.. I just got an Olympus C700 with a 10X zoom and I want to make sure I get those shots.

Hey btw if your looking for a nice easy one to start with not too far from you there is our Rubber Legs across the river. It's definitely a 1/1... with Vromans Nose not too far from it that offers spectacular views... little tougher but if you are up for a moderate incline the rewards are many.

Welcome to the game icon_smile.gif

Ttepee

Guest Buzzbait

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Hiking sticks are a ball to make. I spend a lot of time relaxing in the Adirondacks, so a little porch whittling is a good pastime. I?d like to do one of those camera mount sticks at some point. My wife is a camera buff, so I?m sure such a stick would come in handy. Maybe I?ll make that a project for the springtime.

I?ll be sure to check out those two caches. I mentioned the whole geocaching thing to the wife last night, and she was bonkers over the idea. She was even coming up with cool places she thought would make good cache spots. She works for NYS Parks and Rec, so she knows A LOT of nice spots.

You won?t see me balking any moderate inclines. The Mrs. and I do quite a bit of hiking in the mountains. We rather enjoy the more challenging inclines, often choosing the steeper trails. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Buzzbait

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Hiking sticks are a ball to make. I spend a lot of time relaxing in the Adirondacks, so a little porch whittling is a good pastime. I?d like to do one of those camera mount sticks at some point. My wife is a camera buff, so I?m sure such a stick would come in handy. Maybe I?ll make that a project for the springtime.

I?ll be sure to check out those two caches. I mentioned the whole geocaching thing to the wife last night, and she was bonkers over the idea. She was even coming up with cool places she thought would make good cache spots. She works for NYS Parks and Rec, so she knows A LOT of nice spots.

You won?t see me balking any moderate inclines. The Mrs. and I do quite a bit of hiking in the mountains. We rather enjoy the more challenging inclines, often choosing the steeper trails. icon_biggrin.gif

Since there seems to be some interest in walking sticks: (should we start a new discussion?) I made mine from a length of 1/2" inside diam. PVC (measures 3/4" outside). Comes in 10' lengths for abou $2.00(so u could actually make 2 or screw up one alot in experimenting as I did!). I cut it to about 4 1/2' initially, added pvc caps to both ends. Drilled the caps to accept standard 1/4 bolts (same as camera mount thread). I left the screws stick out about 1" & nutted them inside and out. Now one works as a spike on the bottom & the other at the top can be used for a camera mount or alternately a mount for a combination cork knob w/a compass & handle strap (purchased at EMS for about $8.00) I slid an old motorcyclce foam grip over the top 6" of the pole & have an under $10 walking stick. I can also store spare Batteries inside as the top cap comes off! At first I thought it would flex too much but I'm a fairly big guy & it works great (if it did I could put a dowel or even copper tubing inside to stiffen it). Thinking about painting it though since it sort of looks like a blind man's cane! I'm also gonna cut it in 2 & use a pvc coupler so I can put it in my car easier. Want info: email me! Gonna check out the website above. IMF16@aol.com

="http://www.geocaching.com/cache/track/images/display/59_500.jpg">

There have been hold ups with him in trying to find a way to weatherproof him. I have him in a small wooden trunk which is too large to fit in most cache containers and it's a little too big for a gallon ziplock bag so he can sit next to the cache. I'm thinking of either using a drybag for him or putting him into a retired tackle box and making him a traveling cache rather than a travel bug....decisions decisions.

Guest Buzzbait

Nice carving!!! I love it!!!

I don't know about the adornments, but the wood would be pretty easy to waterproof. I highly recommend using 440 spar varnish. It's the stuff that people use for varnishing boats. You can get it in matte, semi and full gloss.

Guest AlienMonnky

quote:
Originally posted by mikechim:

Well I'm working on a rather large multicache with a difficulty of 5. I hoped to place it on the 19th of December but I'm behind schedule. I've got all the points picked out, its just a matter of setting it up and printing out the necessary info. That's about it. Hopefully the WEATHER (there's the weather talk for ya) will hold out. So someone will actually come to it.

Oh sweet!!! Can't wait to head back up to Erie in the Spring! Actually, I could use a ride up there now ... we've gone through all the bottles we bought at WineFest this year. :-(

quote:

I don't know about the adornments, but the wood would be pretty easy to waterproof. I highly recommend using 440 spar varnish. It's the stuff that people use for varnishing boats. You can get it in matte, semi and full gloss.

Thats part of where my hesitation with Gilbert arises... he is a work in progress... with a request from the geocaching community to help finish him..eventually he will be ready to varnish but he's no where near ready for that yet. I've been having fun with dressing him and his wooden chest... I've adorned, glued, carved, burned...etc (can't end that list because I still have him and haven't released him in the wild... hehehe call me controlling icon_smile.gif

I'm just asking this hunk of wood to be as much as we can make him be icon_smile.gif...not looking for a Michaelangelo..just any little chip a person could add to whittle down his shoulders or give him a neck to stand proud on.

Care to take a hunk out of him if he comes visits you? Get the feeling you guys might just get along well icon_wink.gif

quote:

Thats part of where my hesitation with Gilbert arises... he is a work in progress... with a request from the geocaching community to help finish him..eventually he will be ready to varnish but he's no where near ready for that yet. I've been having fun with dressing him and his wooden chest... I've adorned, glued, carved, burned...etc (can't end that list because I still have him and haven't released him in the wild... hehehe call me controlling icon_smile.gif

I'm just asking this hunk of wood to be as much as we can make him be icon_smile.gif...not looking for a Michaelangelo..just any little chip a person could add to whittle down his shoulders or give him a neck to stand proud on.

Care to take a hunk out of him if he comes visits you? Get the feeling you guys might just get along well icon_wink.gif

Guest Buzzbait

Now that's a cool idea!!! Start off with a hunk of wood and some guide lines drawn for cutting. Then let each finder whittle him down a bit. The bug returns to you when he's all whittled and decorated by many geocachers. Very innovative!!!

Now there ya go Dxchallenged... this lil guy is going to need all kinds of stuff to keep him cool, cozy and circulating! icon_smile.gif... I'm real close to setting him loose too... just waiting on the mail now I hope. ..so get working on that mini sig quilt icon_wink.gif...he could be up your way in no time icon_smile.gif I believe I've settled on him being a traveling cache rather than a travel bug...he's just not going to fit anywhere!

Now there ya go Dxchallenged... this lil guy is going to need all kinds of stuff to keep him cool, cozy and circulating! icon_smile.gif... I'm real close to setting him loose too... just waiting on the mail now I hope. ..so get working on that mini sig quilt icon_wink.gif...he could be up your way in no time icon_smile.gif I believe I've settled on him being a traveling cache rather than a travel bug...he's just not going to fit anywhere!

Guest mikechim

quote:
Originally posted by AlienMonnky:

Oh sweet!!! Can't wait to head back up to Erie in the Spring! Actually, I could use a ride up there now ... we've gone through all the bottles we bought at WineFest this year. :-(

Hey Alien, good to hear from ya again. At the rate I'm going you may be one of the first to this cache (still haven't put it out yet, ahh well I'm getting lazy). That being said it's definately going to be my favorite cache. Still have to head down to Pittsburgh yet and find some

mmmmm wine fest

------------------

[This message has been edited by mikechim (edited 04 January 2002).]

Guest AlienMonnky

quote:
Originally posted by mikechim:

Hey Alien, good to hear from ya again. At the rate I'm going you may be one of the first to this cache (still haven't put it out yet, ahh well I'm getting lazy). That being said it's definately going to be my favorite cache. Still have to head down to Pittsburgh yet and find some

mmmmm wine fest

someone should make a multi-stage event'ish cache during wine fest that takes you from winery to winery!

Guest HIltonfamily

Well with the the lot of snow we have left here....80" compressed to 3 1/2 feet...I'm obliged to sew.....

I've got the geoquilt on the design wall (check out the "How's the geoquilt comming" thread), have most of the top done to a scotish plaid quilt and I'm waiting for a traveler from LA so I can make it some WNY winter wear. I promised to put him in a cache where he'de see some snow...so I've got some polar fleece ready to make the little guy a toasty outfit..........Just waiting for his arrival.

How big does the mini signature quilt need to be? I can wip that up in no time...quilt could be signed as it travels with it's owner. Just e-mail me

DxChallenged

Guest Ttepee

DxChallenged,

That would be great.. Thank you very much. That's exactly the kind of creativity I'd like for him to inspire in people. Whatever little bit of themselves they can add to his journey for us all to share. He stands about 4" tall and resides in a 10"X5"X5" plain wooden chest, well mostly plain, with a few adornments that the tribe has added. I can imagine this thing being unique inside and out given a bit of creative parlaying.

Guest mikechim

quote:
Originally posted by AlienMonnky:

someone should make a multi-stage event'ish cache during wine fest that takes you from winery to winery!

That's actually a good idea.

Guest HIltonfamily

Ok Ttepee,

I finished the mini quilt. Scaled down some signature blocks. 36 blocks in all in the quilt...I'll sign one so that will leave 35 for people met on travels. I did the back in a very colorful native american print I had. I think it looks just right for your project icon_biggrin.gif

I'll mail it out Monday. The size ended being 12" by 12". I was afraid that if the blocks were too small there wouldn't be enough room to sign on.

Watch your mail!!

DxChallenged

Guest HIltonfamily

Ok Ttepee,

I finished the mini quilt. Scaled down some signature blocks. 36 blocks in all in the quilt...I'll sign one so that will leave 35 for people met on travels. I did the back in a very colorful native american print I had. I think it looks just right for your project icon_biggrin.gif

I'll mail it out Monday. The size ended being 12" by 12". I was afraid that if the blocks were too small there wouldn't be enough room to sign on.

Watch your mail!!

DxChallenged

Guest Ttepee

Wow Dxchallenged you are too much! Thank you SOOO Much. Could you please sign a square before you send it out so that we make sure there is room on there by the time he makes it up to you. I will make upstate NY his first goal so hopefully you will get to see him after he's developed a bit. I can just picture how that's going to look in his box.

Wow I can't wait to get him off the ground now. I ordered a military surplus float bag that's supposed to be waterproof and can be hung in trees or stuck into hollow trees so that hopefully he won't slow down to a dead halt over winter. With any luck and speedy mail, he'll be heading out next weekend. Thanks again SOOO Much!! icon_smile.gif

Guest Ttepee

Wow Dxchallenged you are too much! Thank you SOOO Much. Could you please sign a square before you send it out so that we make sure there is room on there by the time he makes it up to you. I will make upstate NY his first goal so hopefully you will get to see him after he's developed a bit. I can just picture how that's going to look in his box.

Wow I can't wait to get him off the ground now. I ordered a military surplus float bag that's supposed to be waterproof and can be hung in trees or stuck into hollow trees so that hopefully he won't slow down to a dead halt over winter. With any luck and speedy mail, he'll be heading out next weekend. Thanks again SOOO Much!! icon_smile.gif

Guest HIltonfamily

OK Ttepee I mailed out the quilt today. It's going on Gilbert right? Must say I had thought of letting you pick out the fabric for the back. I had one with cigar labels but I just really liked the native one. It's so bright! Must say the people who I've given quilts to seem to like the backs as much as the front. Of late, on my big quilts, I've been putting tea towels. Got a bunch on e-bay from Ireland. Makes it cool to check out the back.

Now I'm planning our spring cache. The family has been into fantasy books of late. Read all the Harry Potter books, I'm reading the Tolkien series now and just saw The Lord of the Rings. So I thought that it would be fun to make a leprechaun cache. I plan on painting the cache box gold and filling it with jewlery and inexpensive shiny things. I've made 30 bags out of scotish kilt material that a friend gave me. I plan on putting a cache item in each and allowing the finder to take a bag with prize.

Anyway my ideas to brighten a snowy grey day.

Ttepee please feel free to put a photo of the Gilbert quilt here...I still haven't figured out how to do this!

DxChallenged

[This message has been edited by HIltonfamily (edited 07 January 2002).]

Guest crusso

Just puttin the finishin touches on a virtual cache. Gonna make it really require some brain work as well as communication skills to log as a find. Passed what I have on to another cacher for comments before I post. It'll allow you to stay home but log a cache in another country with the help of another Geocacher. Anyone intrigued?

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey... I see no new posts for a while...Si I thought I'de post here.

I'm working on doing a fantasy cache...Right now I am reading the complete Tolkien series and Butterfly girl has "The Lord of the Rings" as her favorite movie...So I thought that I would do some kind of hobbit cache. There is one already near Syracuse..so thought that I would make mine a bit different. I've made 34 drawsting bags to put individual prizes in. Think I'll do jewlery, fantasy related or toys from the movie (I was able to get the complete set of Lord of the Ring toys as a BK one day..so have a couple extras). Thought that maybe I'de paint the cache box gold...

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

DxChallenged

Guest mikechim

Hey Hilton Family,

Let me know how it goes, I've been working on a Fellowship of the Ring cache way before the movie came out, actually everythings been set except the act of actually printing the stuff out and placing it. Unfortunately I've been to lazy (also afraid no one will search for it in the snow) since Dec 19th. So let me know when yours comes out and I'll do the same.

------------------

quote:
Originally posted by HIltonfamily:

...So I thought that I would do some kind of hobbit cache.

DxChallenged

Check out some south of you icon_smile.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12154

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12155

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12157

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12158

I love the way these start out easy and get progressively harder. They also are NOT for the whole family, so it would be nice to see one more along the lines of what you're planning.

quote:
Originally posted by HIltonfamily:

...So I thought that I would do some kind of hobbit cache.

DxChallenged

Check out some south of you icon_smile.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12154

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12155

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12157

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12158

I love the way these start out easy and get progressively harder. They also are NOT for the whole family, so it would be nice to see one more along the lines of what you're planning.

Guest HIltonfamily

Mopar...I must say that I like the difficulty levels of these. I'de love to take a trip to NJ and stay a few days to do them. I like how he has highlighted parts of the books. Right now I'm reading the Hobbit to the kids and I'm readiing The Fellowship of the Ring.

It seems really freeing just to daydream about caches right now. Butterfly girl has pneumonia for the 2nd time this month and I have some sort of nastynes so we'll both be indoors for a few days....Then it's off to NC on Friday and I hope to get some warm caching in there.....I think that the change in climate will do us both good....

thanks for the info!

DxChallenged