Geocaching 101 - IN PERSON

Carter-London

I am new to geocaching. This is a great activity for my family. Sometimes, reading or watching videos is just not enough. My family is doing alright, but there are still a lot of questions, maybe they will be answered in time.

I looked on kijiji to see if there was a community event for this in my area - there is nothing for Geocachers on the site. :sad: I know there are CITO events, I would have loved to go, but we didn't know until the day after the event in my area.

If you are willing to hold an event in your area, POST IT, somehow (start a new topic, or add to this one? :unsure: ).

I would suggest bringing the items you would normally bring, (stuff a newbie would not think about - tweezers I read once). If possible, bring samples of caches or pictures. (I personally found out today that they can be flat, and magnetic - neat, but not what I thought a cache would be). Then take the group of newbies with you to locate a nearby cache - one you have found already would be nice - this way you are helping instead of trying to find it yourself. :ph34r:

Or even host a mystery find together - as these baffle me right now. Thanks. :grin:

(maybe I will get a reply that says these already exist, and point me in the right direction, that is okay too :D

I am new to geocaching. This is a great activity for my family. Sometimes, reading or watching videos is just not enough. My family is doing alright, but there are still a lot of questions, maybe they will be answered in time.

I looked on kijiji to see if there was a community event for this in my area - there is nothing for Geocachers on the site. :sad: I know there are CITO events, I would have loved to go, but we didn't know until the day after the event in my area.

If you are willing to hold an event in your area, POST IT, somehow (start a new topic, or add to this one? :unsure: ).

I would suggest bringing the items you would normally bring, (stuff a newbie would not think about - tweezers I read once). If possible, bring samples of caches or pictures. (I personally found out today that they can be flat, and magnetic - neat, but not what I thought a cache would be). Then take the group of newbies with you to locate a nearby cache - one you have found already would be nice - this way you are helping instead of trying to find it yourself. :ph34r:

Or even host a mystery find together - as these baffle me right now. Thanks. :grin:

(maybe I will get a reply that says these already exist, and point me in the right direction, that is okay too :D

Some folks do host various events meant to help newbies, and some do host events that are intended to help with puzzle caches.

You need to look at the newest published caches in Ontario. i don't think geocaching events are listed in kijiji.

Looking at the list of newly published caches will display events and mega-events first, before the caches.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=69&ex=0&cFilter=9a79e6ce-3344-409c-bbe9-496530baf758&children=n

As a Premium Member, you can set up notifications for newly published caches and events.

Help Center → Premium Membership → Benefits

1.5. Instant Notifications

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=184

There's probably a Facebook group of London cachers.

And just a note: generally, people only log one "found it" per GC code.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Thank you all for the information.

The Event Calendar, I understand...I was looking for one in my area and was hoping someone would start one.

I appreciate the email newsletter - will do.

Pup Patrol: I noticed that I logged a cache twice in error as well, however, I am unsure how to delete it.

Thanks again.

Thank you all for the information.

The Event Calendar, I understand...I was looking for one in my area and was hoping someone would start one.

The Groundspeak calendar is rather cumbersome.

The "newest in Ontario" will at least narrow things down to just Ontario.

"Instant notifications" and the newsletter would be better options.

I appreciate the email newsletter - will do.

The newsletter comes out once a week, and should be tagged to your home location.

Pup Patrol: I noticed that I logged a cache twice in error as well, however, I am unsure how to delete it.

Go to that cache page, and in your log you will see at the bottom right, the options "View/Edit Log/Images Upload Image" Those are links. Click on the "view/edit log/images" link and you will be taken to a page with just that log on it.

There will you find the red trash can icon. Click that to delete the log.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

From the latest newsletter:

May 2nd marks the 15th anniversary of when Geocaching began. Get out and find a geocache on May 2 or 3—any geocache or attend any event—and you’ll earn a special 15 Years of Geocaching souvenir. Plus, you’ll discover your geocaching mission for the summer in the souvenir description.

On the new search page, we’ve put together three new one-click searches to make choosing the geocache you want to find—and earn your souvenir with—easier. Just click the box to find events near you, the oldest geocaches in your area, or nearby geocaches with favorite points.

I just tried that, and I had to click the "publish" button to re-sort the list to get the upcoming ones to be listed first.

B.