getting my 1st handheld GPS

booboo737

I'm fairly new to geocaching and have always used my phone. It's a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I love the way the geocaching app works on it and the map style for honing in on a cache, but we go out in the mountains a lot and then I don't have cell or data service and I'm stuck. I'm looking for recommendations on a basic gps unit that will be similar in style to the way the app works on a smart phone - visual and touch screen. I don't want to many bells and whistles, but I do want to be able to load pocket queries and go paperless geocaching without much hassle. Please point me in the right direction....there's so many models to look at! Thanks booboo737

If you like the interface of your Samsung, and don't mind taking it out in the boonies, you can cache with it even with no data or cell service. Simce you are a Premium member, you can create a Pocket Query of the area you will be going and save it in the app. The GPS on your phone will still function without data service. If you have saved the cache info prior to going out (which is essentially what you'd have to do with a GPS anyway), you're set.

Now, if you're frustrated with the battery life on your phone and constantly nervous about dropping it in a creek or something, those are also valid reasons for switching over to a handheld GPS.

Having said that, it sort of depends on your budget. I would recommend taking a look at Garmin's new Oregon models. I have one of the previous generation of Oregons and I like it, but I played around with a new one at Cabelas a while back and the touch screen is much closer to a phone-like experience than the previous model, both in resolution and interface. Good chance that will be my next GPS.

Edited by Chief301

Check out the newer Garmin models. They are getting closer to what a phone looks like.

Otherwise, look into offline caching mode.

I believe even the geocaching.com app allows for offline caching. You just need to save off the cache information in advance.

Shaun

Thanks Shaun...I've tried offline a bit and still had trouble with not being able to get maps to show up on the phone. I had thought it was a matter of a lack of service or the gps in the phone not being able to communicate without data etc. I'll research that some more....thanks!

If you like the interface of your Samsung, and don't mind taking it out in the boonies, you can cache with it even with no data or cell service. Simce you are a Premium member, you can create a Pocket Query of the area you will be going and save it in the app. The GPS on your phone will still function without data service. If you have saved the cache info prior to going out (which is essentially what you'd have to do with a GPS anyway), you're set.

Now, if you're frustrated with the battery life on your phone and constantly nervous about dropping it in a creek or something, those are also valid reasons for switching over to a handheld GPS.

Having said that, it sort of depends on your budget. I would recommend taking a look at Garmin's new Oregon models. I have one of the previous generation of Oregons and I like it, but I played around with a new one at Cabelas a while back and the touch screen is much closer to a phone-like experience than the previous model, both in resolution and interface. Good chance that will be my next GPS.

Thanks Chief301. I do get nervous carrying the phone around...not too rugged....and the battery draw is a drawback. I've done pocket queries, but not had luck navigating to them once I'm out of cell range. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong in that regard so will do some more research for that too. Thank you for your suggestions, you've given me a couple of ideas of where to go next.