Magellan Explorist 110

This is my first attempt at posting to a forum but am getting a bit desperate. I purchased my Magellan Explorist 110 in December 2013 and am still getting used to how it all works. It has been very accurate in actually locating a cache but when I attempt to place a cache of my own the accuracy of the co-ordinates seems to be up to 20m out. I have tried the "Add Geocache" several times but the best I can do is accuracy of 12m, which is obviously not good enough in my opinion. I have been back and forth with customer support several times to finally figure out how to enter my own co-ordinates which, ultimately, are also inaccurate. Any advice would be much appreciated

How do you know the coordinates are inaccurate? The accuracy level reported by your gpsr is not a measure of how far off the unit is from the coordinates. If the explorist is taking you to where caches are placed, it probably is doing fine for a new cache placement.

No commercial unit is going to be absolutely accurate. Conditions such as trees, buildings, or mountains can affect accuracy. How many satellites is your unit able to lock into? Do you have WAAS enabled? Take several readings. Average readings out. Check coordinates from different directions. Give your unit time to settle in. Try at different times of the day, if possible.

If, in the end, you still are not sure, give people enough information so they can find the cache. If users report significantly different coordinates, that may tell you more about the accuracy of your coordinates.

Edited by geodarts

Bobbiesgirl:

1) On the receiver, go to Tools/Settings/Navigation/.

2) Set Coordination Accuracy to 1 metre.

3) Then go to Tools/Settings/Satellite. This shows the satellite screen. Press Menu.

4) An Options Box with Enable SBAS will appear. Set it to Enable and press back.

With a good fix the receiver will show 'accuracy' of ten metres or less. (A 'good' fix in Magellan speak.) An 'excellent' fix will be found out in the open with an 'accuracy' of 7 metres or so.

The 'accuracy' amounts to a circle of probability with the receiver at the centre, not a pinpoint fix.

The receiver is accurate enough to both find and place caches, as long as the indicated fix is 'Good' or better.

The 'accuracy' amounts to a circle of probability with the receiver at the centre, not a pinpoint fix.

Edited by coshida