New to Android need help

I have just started using an Android phone and thought I would try out the GPS by having a go at geochacing. The performance is really bad it will point say 5 meters in one directing and when you get there it 20 meters the other way you could spend all day chasing the Geocache the Garmin I have takes me straight there.Is this normal with a phone ? I have also noticed that when I use a speedometer app at walking pace the speed will vary massively although I am maintaining a constant pace. Has anyone any idea what could be causing this ? The phone is a LG optimus e400.

Thanks all

I wouldn't say that's the norm, at least not from my experiences. I use a Kyocera Hydro Elite(Android) and I'm very happy with the performance. Except this last week, the navigation directed me "around the block" when I was withing walking distance of GZ on a couple of different caches. Up to that point I have had nothing but very good results.

Maybe you could try standing still in an open area to give the phone a chance to settle down a bit and obtain a good connection with the satellites.

You can also download (for free) an app called "GPS Status" which speeds up the response of your phone's GPS. Often that's the issue with perceived GPS inaccuracies on your phone - you're actually moving faster than your GPS is updating, which causes you to overshoot GZ. With most phone GPS as well, you need to be moving for it to accurately point you in the right direction. Once you stop, the compass will start swiveling.