Swag Source + Other ?

LuLilac

Where you do you buy your swag SLASH tradeables? I just walked int Ax-Man the other day (a fun and weird surplus store) and saw it with brand new eyes.

What is the best swag or tradeable you have found or put into a cache?

How long does it take a cache full of fun swag to devolve into a gravesite for broken happy mean toys? :?

Lulilac

Where you do you buy your swag SLASH tradeables? I just walked int Ax-Man the other day (a fun and weird surplus store) and saw it with brand new eyes.

A surplus store would be full of interesting swag. Choose items that can handle being in a cache for a while - i.e. won't rust up quickly, or fall apart or go moldy quickly if exposed to dampness.

I've found some cool stuff. Probably the most memorable and the one that made me laugh out loud was the "Grow a Shrink". It's on a shelf in my office. More of the cool stuff I've found are listed here: http://geoswag.wordp...swag-ive-found/ (I particularly like personalized stuff).

How long does it take a cache full of fun swag to devolve into a gravesite for broken happy mean toys? :?

Depends on your area. I would say (based on our cache hides) that the contents become sparse in about 6 months. After a year there's going to be debris in the cache that'll need to be removed (broken stuff, rusty stuff, stones, twigs, leaves, junk stuff - bottle caps, bus/concert stubs). That observation is based on a regular size quality (water-tight) container. If a cache container is not water tight the contents can become a mess in a month.

Edited by Löne R
I get foreign coins from friends who travel abroad, or I buy them from the bulk bin of a local coin shop. Craft stores sometimes have bulk bags of interesting knick-knacks. Some I've gotten from exhibit booths, or have been given by friends who know I can use trade items for geocaching. I got a bunch of scuba-size bison tubes as part of a group purchase with other local geocachers. I bought a bunch of LED flashlights from Woot.com for about $1 each.

I haven't actually gotten any from a dollar store, or from the dollar bin of a discount department store like Walmart or Target, or as a fast-food give-away like a Happy Meal toy.

I once found a cell phone, in the box, complete with charger and accessories. I left it there because I couldn't trade up or trade even.

Some of the signature items in my collection are pretty nice, including geocoins that are not trackable at the geocaching.com site.

Let's see... One... Two... Three... [CRUNCH!]

Oh, wait, that was something else...

Well, usually I just use the little toys and keyrings I've won in the 2p coin pusher arcade machines etc... though it's usually just to set up my own caches, I don't usually trade in other caches, though I enjoy seeing what's in them.

Although I'm hoping to set up a few bigger caches shortly and was in town today, in Wilkinsons I noticed they had a lot of things that would be perfect for swaps/tradables, racing car erasers, little figures etc... some 50p each, others 4 for £1.

A coin, was only a euro, but I love the look of foreign money, I don't exactly collect it, but I have a few weird coins put aside just because they look cool.

If you maintain it, then not until it gets muggled repeatedly. If you notice the swaps start to suffer just dispose of the broken, rusted, damaged ones and top it up with new ones :) simple.